Topic: Digiface USB question loopback no. of channels

Hi,

As RME previous user, some time without RME in the meantime, I am looking for an RME stable interface with a digital S/PDIF output. I know the most interfaces can handle this. On the other hand I don't need all preamp and other nice to haves, as I work mostly fully inside the box. I think Digiface USB is the perfect solution.

Of course there are some desires as my latest loopback scenario is multitrack based. I would like to know if my thoughts are in the right direction e.g. is it possible to confirm the below will work?

Following is the desired scenario:
MacOS (latest 10.15.7) running both LPX and WL
Logic Pro X --> has 8 to 16 individual mono tracks output (RME coreaudio driver selected)
Wavelab pro --> records 8 to 16 individual mono tracks (RME coreaudio driver selected)

I know I have various alternatives, i.e.
1) exporting/bouncing in Logic then importing in Wavelab.
2) connecting optical cable from output back to input then select the inputs in the recording program. For this scenario however I do not know if the Coreaudio driver can handle both Logic and Wavelab whom both want to take over the driver
3) Some random loopback software driver with 16 channels.

In essence, I'd like to have Logic perform as a studio of virtual instruments and virtual FX plugins, and in wavelab I want without having to touch Logic just record its output on multiple channels on a continuous basis.

What I could not find in the Totalmix manual, is how many channels of loopback there are available, or whether RME driver on Mac can handle two programs on the same computer.

Any help appreciated ! smile

ADI2, Digiface, ARC

Re: Digiface USB question loopback no. of channels

What I could not find in the Totalmix manual, is how many channels of loopback there are available, or whether RME driver on Mac can handle two programs on the same computer.

All Digiface USB ADAT outputs have Loopback (32 channels at 48k), and there is no problem with multiclient use.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

This looks good. Thanks! this helps me on the way smile will post if i have questions after the installment.

ADI2, Digiface, ARC

4 (edited by fieldstu 2020-10-12 23:24:23)

No questions but would like to share my happiness around RME's Digiface USB. It functions surprisingly well and seems rock solid already after the first few days of use. Always on!

Now just a good quality but <500EUR 2channel Analog to SPDIF converter to get my analog routed into the Digiface smile

ADI2, Digiface, ARC