Topic: [Solved] Hdsp latency on AMD computer

Hi , I'm the owner of a
Multiface 1 / HDSP 9632 and an HDSP 9652  PCI cards .
These 2 have been working in separate PC's for many years without hiccups.

The thing I've always noticed but didn't bother me until a client recently pointed out, both of them wont  produce any sound in the DAW under 512 buffer size.
Previous machine was an AMD 8320 w 32 gigs of RAM and now Im using an AMD Ryzen 9 3900x w 64gigs.

Is this expected? No lower values can be achieved with PCI cards?

Re: [Solved] Hdsp latency on AMD computer

No, I have both too and they work at the lowest buffers use here. But they are in older machines with core2 quads and native pci slots. No idea why yours won't go lower.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

As I mentioned this behavior was also present in my previous amd system with native pci support.
Latency mon and dpcatency checker reports no problems, this does not make sense.

vinark wrote:

No, I have both too and they work at the lowest buffers use here. But they are in older machines with core2 quads and native pci slots. No idea why yours won't go lower.

Which daw? And did you ever try a cold robot after you set to a low buffer?

Vincent, Amsterdam

5 (edited by remedie2015 2020-10-09 10:40:33)

Cubase user for 20 years now. I dont recall specifically cold rebooting after changing to a lower than 512 value. I change frequently during the day between 512 and 4096 on the fly with no problems

Disabling my adat expansion brings no change , changing the clock sync from internal to external either.

Searching the forum this crazy effect was mostly reported with AMD systems. Looks like they have their own, partly misbehaving USB implementation.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

In my case I use pci cards though. Have you come across such similar cases? Or is this universal with amd systems.
Seems crazy that such thing would not be widely reported, especially with the now extremely popular ryzens

MC wrote:

Searching the forum this crazy effect was mostly reported with AMD systems. Looks like they have their own, partly misbehaving USB implementation.

remedie2015 wrote:

In my case I use pci cards though. Have you come across such similar cases? Or is this universal with amd systems.
Seems crazy that such thing would not be widely reported, especially with the now extremely popular ryzens

MC wrote:

Scan audio report that lower buffers work in their benchmarks. So it is possible. The very lowest 32 samples are a little better with intel but from 128 on it as good as can be expected with the cpu power.
I have no idea which audio cards they use, so google scan audio benchmark and ryzen.

Vincent, Amsterdam

Thanx I've read those reports ass soon as they came out in 19
However the performance loss I'm describing is much worse than that. lower that 512 produces zero sound (not even dropouts ) in two different cards, not only in Ryzen but with the older FX as well , different motherboards , architecture etc. 

I have been a happy user for years as I mainly mix in high buffer settings and monitor through analog console.  my current project though involves real time midi and the player finds the 512 latency irritating in demanding passages. There are workarounds of course, but I have never seen anywhere in any site similar behavior.

vinark wrote:
remedie2015 wrote:

MC wrote:

Scan audio report that lower buffers work in their benchmarks. So it is possible. The very lowest 32 samples are a little better with intel but from 128 on it as good as can be expected with the cpu power.
I have no idea which audio cards they use, so google scan audio benchmark and ryzen.

AKAIK this is an uncommon problem and I have no idea how to fix except a clean windows install (are you on 7 or 10 and was the new machine a new install?). And your player is right 512 is to much, I can get away playing at 256 but not higher and that is very common.
Sorry I can only confirm and not be of help for now.

Vincent, Amsterdam

Unfortunately , I understand. Yes, clean install Windows 10 .
The new machine was entirely a new build.

After much tweaking , reading in forums etc. I stumbled upon this thread in the RME forums which gave me a solution --> M.S.I :

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=25778

There is a little utility in there that makes changing controllers from IRQ to M.S.I a breeze, and voila, my card can now work in the lowest latency possible!

SOLVED