Topic: Firewire card not working

Hello all,

I own a RME Fireface UFX audio interface, which I've used for years with Windows 7. I recently purchased a new computer with the following features:

-latest Windows 10 64-bit
-ASUS ProArt Z490 CREATOR 10G motherboard
-Intel Core i7-10700 Comet Lake 8-Core 2.9 GHz processor
-SYBA Firewire PCI-Express Card with ti2213 chip

Problem:  my Fireface UFX does not work with the Firewire 400 connection (although it does work with the USB connection). I would prefer to use the firewire connection because the usb controller on my machine has many other devices plugged into to it.

Any suggestions? Are there specific firewire PCI-Express cards that are known to work with the Fireface UFX? Is there a legacy firewire driver I should try?

Note: I'm using all the latest firewire and usb drivers available from the RME website, and the latest flash update as well.

Thanks,
Pat

Re: Firewire card not working

You didn't specify which version of Windows 10 you're using - when you say "latest" do you mean 20H2? A lot of audio devices' drivers have issues with Win10 more recent than 1909...

That said, if you haven't already switched to the Legacy Firewire driver, follow the instructions found here:

https://www.startech.com/en-us/faq/fire … river-swap

Note that it's a two stage process, in that you run the MSI first, which places it in the Program Files (x86) folder, but then have to use the Windows Device Manager to "update" the 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller to the (Legacy) version.

Frank Lockwood
https://LockwoodARS.com
Fireface 800, Firmware 2.77
Drivers: Win10, 3.125; Mac, 3.36

Re: Firewire card not working

Thanks for your quick reply!

I have Windows 10 2004 (Build 19041.572).

I had already tried the "1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller to the (Legacy)" driver, in addition to the following drivers:

1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller
T1394bus OHCI TI
Texas Instruments 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller

My computer freezes up with all of them, so I'm suspecting my firewire PCIe card (SYBA Firewire PCI-Express Card with ti2213 chipset).

Are there firewire PCIe cards that you know work with Windows 10 2004 and the latest RME firewire driver (3.125) for the Fireface UFX?

Thanks again,
Pat