Topic: UFX shown as "USB MIDI Device' IN Audio Midi Setup

Hi,
I can't tell what Is the culprit. But the most obvious changes are the following:

- I upgraded to macOS Catalina
- I upgraded the firmware to 360 on the UFX

When I originally installed the UFX into macOS Mojave the display name for the USB device  was "Fireface UFX (<serial number>)" in the Audi Midi Setup, this is the same name you see when doing System report in About MacOS.
After I updated to macOS Catalina it still worked fine. However I got a new computer and had a fresh install of macOS Catalina and now the Audio Midi app shows "USB MIDI Device" as default name. I can change it to Fireface  UFX(), but Logic doesn't recognize the port names and I am forced to reassign all of my MIDI devices connected to UFX.

If there was a chance that the Firmware update  did this change is it possible to get an older firmware? I was either at 359 to 357 before this. Or is it that macOS Catalina has a bug in Audio Midid App? I am going to revert to a Mojave time machine backup and see what happens.

Any ideas for help?
Thanks
Tony

Re: UFX shown as "USB MIDI Device' IN Audio Midi Setup

So I loaded a Time Machine backup that went back to Mojave 10.14.6 and when I delete the Audio Midi object for the UFX and let it get recreated by recounting the device the name is as expected  Fireface UFX(<serial no>). I also tried this with MacOS Catalina 10.15.7 and instead get the "USB MIDI Device" and then ports are named differently and I need to change all of my Logic Projects.

Does this mean that the UFX isn't compatible with Catalina and probably not Big Sur? Or did things just change and I just need to go and update all of my Logic projects to reassign the external MIDI ports?

I do feel as though reverting to older firmware would not fix this.

3 (edited by fieldstu 2020-10-18 23:43:43)

Re: UFX shown as "USB MIDI Device' IN Audio Midi Setup

-> However I got a new computer and had a fresh install of macOS Catalina
did you on your new computer install the latest applicable RME drivers?

ADI2, Digiface, ARC