1 (edited by grahamgraham 2020-10-19 09:32:09)

Topic: Digiface USB + Surround

Hi all,

I wonder if someone would be good enough to help confirm that the Digiface USB is the right interface for me, please?

Having read this forum and researched as much as possible but I am still not sure, I think the below is possible.

I would like to have a high-end optical out from my computer for everyday web browsing, music, movies (VLC/Netflix) etc. I use a MiniDSP with optical in for my active 3-way set up but would like to expand to surround with extra DSP units with optical in.

Can I use the Digiface in this capacity and send the six 5.1 channels to the four optical outs? Most likely I will want to have left, right, rear left and rear right with no centre or LFE channel. Can I downmix and router for this configuration in Totalmix?

I hope someone can clarify for me, please.

Many thanks!!!

Graham.

Re: Digiface USB + Surround

Hello!

Which miniDSP exactly? Can you post a link?

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

Neither the Digiface USB nor Total Mix FX do any 5.1 decoding. However, if your software is doing the decoding and sending 6 channels of audio to the Digiface USB, then you can use Total Mix to route these to any of the Digiface's Hardware Outputs.

E.g. if a Center signal is arriving on Software Playback Channel 3 in Total Mix, you can set the level and send it to the Hardware Outputs where your L and R speakers are connected.

Hi,

Thanks for your responses.

MetalHeadKeys, this is what I am using: https://www.minidsp.com/products/minids … p-10x10-hd

hselters, confusing! On page 14-16 the manual details how it is configurable in windows as a surround audio interface. So, will VLC not be able to output surround channels to the Digiface or Totalmix? Will I need an intermediate such as Voicemeeter? Is there a way to achieve what I am after?

Cheers!

Hello, again!

Yes, you can do what you're after, but why configuring a 5.1 surround since you only need 4 Outs. I mean why not a quadraphonic setup?

You can set these up at WDM devices(also in Windows as described in the manual), use two optical outs from the DigiFace to each of the MiniDsp(configured as SPDIF, and set the MiniDsps to be clocked by Optical In) and you will be set!

6 (edited by grahamgraham 2020-10-23 09:07:07)

Cheers for confirming that mate!

Yes, I will probably go the quad route to begin with but it all depends on what mrs. grahhagraham will tolerate. I already said I wouldn't build a system with woofers larger than 8" and I'm already scheming.

The key is to ensure future compatibility so flexibility is a must.

I've researched having the TOSLINK clocked externally but not sure it's possible. I need to get in touch with MiniDSP again! smile

Hi

I use Jriver Mediaplayer for this.
The surroundfiles are 5.1 flac.

I then configured Jriver to output all these channels separate.
Front Left     FL     SPEAKER_FRONT_LEFT     1
Front Right     FR     SPEAKER_FRONT_RIGHT     2
Front Center     FC     SPEAKER_FRONT_CENTER     3
Low Frequency     LFE     SPEAKER_LOW_FREQUENCY     4
Back Left     BL     SPEAKER_BACK_LEFT     5
Back Right     BR     SPEAKER_BACK_RIGHT     6

For crossover for the front speakers (4way=8 channels) I use acourateconvolver (www.audiovero.de).

All these channels (2x4 Front and the additional 4 for surround go over USB.

In my case I use RME UFX (UFX II). I rout then in totalmix all the channels to analog outputs in my case.

Now if you need digiital outputs then route to digital outputs in Totalmix. with UFX you have AES EBU, SPDIF and ADAT. Onyl with DATA you have enough channels.
I guess with a Digiface USB you can do the same as with UFX/Totalmix but routing to several digial-outputs in SPDIF (TOSLINK). Then you get what you need.

Peter

I looked at the miniDSP10x10.

The setup in the manual is for multichannel analog in and multichannel analog out, or didigtal in but as seems only stereo.

The miniDSP10x10 is for a combination with a multichannel receiver with analog multichannel pre-out.

Now the key question is from where do you play your surround-files?

Best is a drawing of the intended setup to get it clear.

Peter

grahamgraham wrote:

Cheers for confirming that mate!

I've researched having the TOSLINK clocked externally but not sure it's possible. I need to get in touch with MiniDSP again! smile

You're welcome!

This is from Page 49 of the MiniDsp's manual:

Digital audio source selectable from IR remote or front panel:

•AES/EBU on Neutrik 3-pin female XLR / Isolated with digital audio transformer
  •S/PDIF on RCA connector / Isolated with digital audio transformer
  •Toslink on Optical connector

A high quality onboard Asynchronous Sample Rate Converter ensures compatibility with most sample rates, from 20−216kHz.

It's got a Sample Rate Converter, so it doesn't need to be clocked to a certain clock! It automatically recognizes the incoming clock!