1 (edited by ossian 2020-10-29 20:53:26)

Topic: Very low levels from one of the microphone preamps/RME ucx

Hello new forum user here, I just bought an RME UCX second hand and tried the microphone inputs, input 1 has much lower levels and sound extremely trebly compared to input 2 at the same gain settings, this microphone for example (audix d2) clips at 34 db gain on channel 2 but even at 65 dB gain on channel one it reaches about -20 dB in totalmix when I talk with the same volume into the mic. It is also much more suceptible to statics, for example when I have the microphone connected I hear static noise, but when I place my hand on the UCX chassi it goes away. Any idea what could cause this/is my interface damaged? Channels two is responding just as I expect it to.

The line in has same level on both inputs, this is just when going through the microphone amp

Best,
Ossian

Re: Very low levels from one of the microphone preamps/RME ucx

If it's the same mic and cable, it seems like there is a hardware issue with the UCX mic channel. It can be repaired, but you may want to see if the seller would take it back.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Re: Very low levels from one of the microphone preamps/RME ucx

Jeff wrote:

If it's the same mic and cable, it seems like there is a hardware issue with the UCX mic channel. It can be repaired, but you may want to see if the seller would take it back.

Thank you for the information. Could I have caused this? Sometimes I for example get electrical shocks from my microphone but this problem with the preamp showed up right away and I got the interface today. As the second preamp channel show no such tendencies and I guess it would if it was caused by this. I just don't want to put the blame on him if it was caused by me.

Best,
Ossian