Topic: Public Preview: Mac USB driver for macOS 11 & Apple Silicon hardware

USB 3 / 2.0 Driver for macOS 11 Big Sur, Intel / ARM (Apple Silicon)

Notes on public beta driver version 3.23

!! This driver will not work on macOS versions below 11 !!

It supports both Intel and M1 (ARM based) computers

While the whole driver is a universal binary to support Intel and ARM natively, at this time the included TotalMix FX 1.70 B5 is Intel only. Thanks to Apple’s Rosetta 2 emulator, Intel software can run on ARM-based hardware really well. We did not notice any showstopper or missing feature with it. The same is true for the current DigiCheck NG v 0.85, which can be downloaded here:

http://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/digic … ac_085.zip

It runs nicely on the new Apple Silicon hardware thanks to Rosetta 2. RME will provide universal binaries of these two apps later.

Installation

With Apple Silicon even native third party extensions can no longer be installed directly. One needs to allow these in a one time process by entering Recovery mode. With Big Sur on Intel hardware: installation should be the same as under Catalina. Otherwise try Recovery mode and manual enabling.

Added: On Apple's developer ARM sample USB 2 audio operation shows issues when the option Short Safety Offset is activated. As the ARM machine operates very reliable even at very low sample buffer sizes this is not seen as limitation, and is under further investigation.

Driver download link:

http://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/drive … ac_323.zip

Update on M1 operation, 2020/11/24

We now received an M1 computer with Thunderbolt port. These are our first observations:

- USB driver: driverless (CC) MIDI did not work. This issue vanished after updating the machine to macOS 11.0.1.

- After that update we had to 'allow' the RME driver once again. Conclusion: USB driver version 3.23 seems to work with no obvious issues under 11.0.1.

- Thunderbolt: The Thunderbolt driver for the UFX+ can be installed, Settings dialog works, but audio I/O is not working. We are investigating this issue.

More to come.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: Public Preview: Mac USB driver for macOS 11 & Apple Silicon hardware

Thanks Matthias.

Given Apple Silicon Macbooks have been announced and about to ship, is there any timeframe for when this driver will be released for non-developers?

Also, are you seeing good stability in this current beta, or are there still significant issues to be fixed?

3 (edited by cjadams.work@gmail.com 2020-11-14 01:08:47)

NOTE that I am getting immediate lockups and a kernal Panic when i play audio from the music.app. when on Thunderbolt setting with TB2-3 apple adapt.  - soon as i swapped over to USB3 and forced the ufx+ into USB3 mode i could at least play music again.
So there must be an issue with the thunderbolt side of the fence driver wise.
Let me know if you need logs or the crash-reporter

System: Macbook pro 16.1 2019 16 inch
latest BigSur
UFX+
FW 52 Driver v3.23

> NOTE that I am getting immediate lockups and a kernal Panic when i play audio from the music.app. when on Thunderbolt

Already fixed, driver will come later this day.

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=31840

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I've upgraded to Bug Sur, then installed the new beta driver, but my Babyface Pro FS is not working. Please help.
regards

Will Fireface 800 (via Apple Thunderbold to Firewire Adapter) supported with Apple Silicon?

What about Firewire Fireface 400 ?

The Mac FireWire driver (3.39) works under Big Sur as does the former USB driver (3.19). Only PCIe and TB needed changes. M1 drivers for FireWire will be checked as soon as we received a unit with TB port. The developer preview unit that we got had only USB.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The Mac FireWire driver (3.39) works under Big Sur as does the former USB driver (3.19). Only PCIe and TB needed changes. M1 drivers for FireWire will be checked as soon as we received a unit with TB port. The developer preview unit that we got had only USB.

MC Thankyou very much for your update!

miklos wrote:

I've upgraded to Bug Sur, then installed the new beta driver, but my Babyface Pro FS is not working. Please help.
regards

+1 Here. Big Sur, Babyface Pro FS

MacBook Air M1 and Babyface Pro here. Is there some kind of release timeline or is it relatively. safe to use this beta right now?

It's stable and has worked good so far. Just try it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The Mac FireWire driver (3.39) works under Big Sur as does the former USB driver (3.19)..

This is great news. I am so glad that I purchased an RME product the long term support is unparalleled.

Hats off and respect!

miklos wrote:

regards

'Is not working' is no useful description. Please contact RME support and be ready to answer some questions on setup, what you did, and what exactly doesn't work.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I updated the opening post with latest news and will keep on doing this, so watch out for changes in the 'Update' section.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME