Topic: Mac USB driver for macOS 11 & Apple Silicon hardware

Info: RME offered a public preview of its USB series driver for macOS 11 Big Sur, Intel and M1 (Apple Silicon), already in October 2020. Since then this thread has been the sole resource for all the updates and further development, including the other driver platforms. So don't get confused if you still read about 'public preview', 'beta driver' or USB only - all the drivers are officially released meanwhile.

----------------------

USB 3 / 2.0 Driver for macOS 11 Big Sur, Intel / M1 (Apple Silicon)

Notes on public beta driver version 3.23*

*See below, 3.24 is available on our website.

!!!This driver only supports macOS 11 (Big Sur)!!!

The whole driver package is a universal binary to support Intel and ARM natively.

Notes on M1 Driver Installation

With M1 computers (Apple Silicon) Apple has globally disabled the use of third party kernel extensions. To enable their usage one has to boot the computer into Recovery mode and allow the use of those extensions per partition. Apple calls this 'Reduced Security'. After that the procedure is the same as under High Sierra - after the driver installation it has to be 'allowed' in the dialog that comes up automatically, or if not then manually in Security & Privacy. We also noticed a difference to earlier OS: the 'Allow' process around Security & Privacy has to be repeated after every driver update!

Procedure is as follows:

- Boot the M1 computer in Recovery mode (turn it on with the power button pressed until the screen shows the startup options are loaded)

- Select Options, then your language

- In the top menu go to Utilities -> Startup Security Utility. Select the system where the RME drivers will be installed

- Continue with -> Security Policy -> Reduced Security -> Allow user management of kernel extensions from identified developers.

- Reboot

- Install the RME driver.  Before the reboot for finishing the driver installation open System Preferences, Security & Privacy, tab General. There should be a grey Allow button in the right lower area. Click the unlock symbol first, then confirm using the RME kernel extension. Finally reboot.

Update: Meanwhile I found the original Apple article on this procedure (nearly impossble to find via Google):

https://support.apple.com/en-lk/guide/m … 8f7291/mac

Didi not find the German version, but all the right names are now in the readmes of our driver packages.

Driver download link:

http://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/drive … ac_324.zip

Update on M1 operation, 2020/11/24

We now received an M1 computer with Thunderbolt port. These are our first observations:

- USB driver: driverless (CC) MIDI did not work. This issue vanished after updating the machine to macOS 11.0.1.

- After that update we had to 'allow' the RME driver once again. Conclusion: USB driver version 3.23 seems to work with no obvious issues under 11.0.1.

- Thunderbolt: The Thunderbolt driver for the UFX+ can be installed, Settings dialog works, but audio I/O is not working. We are investigating this issue.

Update 2020/11/26

- The Thunderbolt driver (for UFX+, v1.21) now works for Intel and M1 and has been released on our website.

Update 2020/11/27

- The Thunderbolt driver (for UFX+, v1.21) has been re-uploaded. The package now includes TM FX 1.70 which is a Universal Binary (runs natively on M1).

- The HDSPe Series driver and the MADI FX driver (HDSPe MADI FX and MADIface XT) have been updated, tested on M1,  and also include Universal Binary TM FX 1.70. Available on our website.

- The USB driver 3.24 supports macOS 11, Intel and M1, and now also has TM FX 1.70 on board.

Update 2020/11/30

- The FireWire driver 3.40 supports macOS 11, Intel and M1, and has TM FX 1.70 on board.

Update 2020/12/02, fixed 12/03

As you might have seen on our website we now feel that we have all our hardware working correctly on Big Sur, both Intel and M1. There is a small disclaimer about Digiface Dante and Digiface AVB getting support later. Here are the details.

Digiface Dante: can indeed be used with the current driver 3.24. But as Big Sur dropped support for the network functionality that we provide (internal ethernet port to save one external ethernet cable) an external ethernet cable has to be used to control the Dante module. The even bigger issue is that the Dante Controller does not work on M1 machines, so you are forced to control the DF Dante from a different computer within the Dante network.

Digiface AVB: the loss of the internal ethernet driver under macOS 11 unfortunately means complete loss of functionality.

For both devices we are working on a new internal network driver that works under Big Sur, on Intel and M1. If that one passes all tests it would save the external cable for the DF Dante, and bring the DF AVB back to life. But the Dante Controller would still need an update from Audinate for M1 machines, obviously.

Update 2021/01/12

A new network driver for Digiface AVB and Dante restoring full functionality under macOS 11 is now available. Note that the Dante Controller from Audinate is not yet available as M1 version.

http://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/rme_netifc_mac.zip

See readme for details.

Important Comment on M1 support 2020/11/27

If you have read the above you might think that now everything is perfect and you can change your whole production to an M1 system. It's not that easy. Apart from most DAW companies still advising not to do that change, our new M1 drivers are more like a public beta or pre-release than drivers that are matured and expected to work in any and all cases. There is still not enough testing done (remember the number of available machines is limited for us similar to the small number of users already using such a setup). Additionally the whole M1 universe is still very new. Apple will have to further optimize it, kick out some bugs, improve performance here and there. The same is true for us as well, this is a new platform, and we are busy keeping track of the constant Xcode updates that Apple releases regularly (which, basically, is a good thing, of course).

An example: the new TotalMix FX 1.70 is now included as Universal Binary. Fact is that it worked with less CPU load via Rosetta 2, means emulated - ouch.  Not the first time we saw this effect. But TM FX behaves similar to Logic, producing more graphics dependent CPU load than one would expect. Even more confusing, the native TM FX runs on the so called 'efficiency cores', so how is that comparable to not using such cores?

We also experienced strange effects with the LaunchAgent where we sometimes had to start the Settings dialog manually. After that it got started automatically after each reboot. Some hidden rights problem maybe? Things like that need time to research.

That said the M1 platform is still very promising. Under the hood audio performance and stability reach new levels that excite everyone who is able to try it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: Mac USB driver for macOS 11 & Apple Silicon hardware

Thanks Matthias.

Given Apple Silicon Macbooks have been announced and about to ship, is there any timeframe for when this driver will be released for non-developers?

Also, are you seeing good stability in this current beta, or are there still significant issues to be fixed?

3 (edited by cjadams.work@gmail.com 2020-11-14 00:08:47)

NOTE that I am getting immediate lockups and a kernal Panic when i play audio from the music.app. when on Thunderbolt setting with TB2-3 apple adapt.  - soon as i swapped over to USB3 and forced the ufx+ into USB3 mode i could at least play music again.
So there must be an issue with the thunderbolt side of the fence driver wise.
Let me know if you need logs or the crash-reporter

System: Macbook pro 16.1 2019 16 inch
latest BigSur
UFX+
FW 52 Driver v3.23

> NOTE that I am getting immediate lockups and a kernal Panic when i play audio from the music.app. when on Thunderbolt

Already fixed, driver will come later this day.

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=31840

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I've upgraded to Bug Sur, then installed the new beta driver, but my Babyface Pro FS is not working. Please help.
regards

Will Fireface 800 (via Apple Thunderbold to Firewire Adapter) supported with Apple Silicon?

What about Firewire Fireface 400 ?

The Mac FireWire driver (3.39) works under Big Sur as does the former USB driver (3.19). Only PCIe and TB needed changes. M1 drivers for FireWire will be checked as soon as we received a unit with TB port. The developer preview unit that we got had only USB.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The Mac FireWire driver (3.39) works under Big Sur as does the former USB driver (3.19). Only PCIe and TB needed changes. M1 drivers for FireWire will be checked as soon as we received a unit with TB port. The developer preview unit that we got had only USB.

MC Thankyou very much for your update!

miklos wrote:

I've upgraded to Bug Sur, then installed the new beta driver, but my Babyface Pro FS is not working. Please help.
regards

+1 Here. Big Sur, Babyface Pro FS

MacBook Air M1 and Babyface Pro here. Is there some kind of release timeline or is it relatively. safe to use this beta right now?

It's stable and has worked good so far. Just try it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The Mac FireWire driver (3.39) works under Big Sur as does the former USB driver (3.19)..

This is great news. I am so glad that I purchased an RME product the long term support is unparalleled.

Hats off and respect!

miklos wrote:

regards

'Is not working' is no useful description. Please contact RME support and be ready to answer some questions on setup, what you did, and what exactly doesn't work.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I updated the opening post with latest news and will keep on doing this, so watch out for changes in the 'Update' section.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Just to add to the feedback - I have a Babydface Pro FS and Big Sur doesnt see it. For info purposes:
originally installed OSX driver
when I realised that didnt work i went hunting and found these beta drivers (thank you!)
instalation is succesful and the system reboots as expected but total mix won't display the gui (it does seem to be running according to the top menu and the doc)
Sound preferences cant see the babyface either. (It is lit up an powered and registering input from the mic)
thanks for all the hard work!

18 (edited by syabro 2020-11-26 17:52:57)

Okay, my story.
Fresh Big Sur, installed regular then beta drivers. TotalMix and Audio Output don't show the card, but Fireface USB settings does.
https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/29029/100376537-bf35e880-3020-11eb-88d0-87ff671f57c3.png

Just dropping by to say thanks. It works on my M1 Mac Mini running MacOS 11.0.1.

If you’re having trouble, make sure you lower the security level in the recovery mode to allow user managed custom kernel.

20 (edited by feiw8822 2020-11-27 04:21:29)

syabro wrote:

Okay, my story.
Fresh Big Sur, installed regular then beta drivers. TotalMix and Audio Output don't show the card, but Fireface USB settings does.
https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/29029/100376537-bf35e880-3020-11eb-88d0-87ff671f57c3.png

Totally same here.Mac mini 2020.It worked well with MacOS 10.15 and under.Yesterday I updated my system to Big Sur and all these happened.
I tried everything to fix,like:

·Completely removed the old drivers,totalmix and installed the latest
·Allow apps from anywhere with Terminal,also entered recovery mode allowed everything
·Unplug and plug the USB cable,tried different USB ports(2.0,3.0)even tried the CC mode(The card can be shown in CC mode...but no sound output,also RME settings and Totalmix won't work in this mode)
·Updating the firmware to 127 in a Windows 10 system(it worked in Windows 10) then plug back to the Mac mini

Nothing works,it still won't appear in sound settings nor my Logic output settings.

You should re-run the driver installer and, before (!) reboot, open "System Preferences" of your Mac, "Security & Privacy", page "General". There should be a grey "allow" oder "enable" button in the right lower area. Click the unlock-symbol first and than confirm using the RME kernel extension.

you're the man Ralph! That did the trick. big_smile

I would also like to state that RME baby face pro fs is not working properly with beta driver 324 with MacBook Air M1. Driver will install it shows current version 324 with Fireface usb settings. But will not appear in sound settings or with Logic audio pro. Thanks

So you did this? Quote: Installation. With Apple Silicon even native third party extension can no longer be installed directly. One needs to allow these in a one time process by entering Recovery mode.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

25 (edited by russellproductions 2020-11-28 16:20:31)

MC wrote:

So you did this? Quote: Installation. With Apple Silicon even native third party extension can no longer be installed directly. One needs to allow these in a one time process by entering Recovery mode.

Yes entered recovery and disabled SIP . Driver will install but will not be available for use. I can verify the insulation with Fireface USB app. Also Totalmix will not see Baby face pro.
Again this is with Apple MacBook Air M! running latest OS 11.0.1 and Babyface pro FS with latest Firmware 127 and beta driver 324.

Thanks for your time.

Hi,
is there a way to use my Multiface II with a Apple Mac Mini M1 ?
At the moment I use teh PCIe card ,is there something like this avaiable for thunderbolt , an adapter etc ?
Or is it not possible to use teh Multiface with the new Macs ?

MC wrote:

Important Comment on M1 support

That said the M1 platform is still very promising. Under the hood audio performance and stability reach new levels that excite everyone who is able to try it.

More to come.

MC. RME has always provided the best hardware and software support in the industry, and your regular updates are demonstrating this once again. I'm sure I speak for the vast majority on this forum in saying thank you for keeping us informed. This kind of service keeps me with RME.
I don't run a studio or do anything critically important, so I'm happy to try the new drivers and give feedback accordingly.

AnSolas wrote:

Hi, is there a way to use my Multiface II with a Apple Mac Mini M1 ?
At the moment I use teh PCIe card ,is there something like this avaiable for thunderbolt , an adapter etc ?

An external TB to PCIe chassis is available from several companies and described in the Tips & Tricks section of this forum. Cheapest and most simple at this time is the Sonnet SE1.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

"The USB driver 3.24 supports Mac OS 10.12 and up, including macOS 11, Intel and M1, and also has TM FX 1.70 on board."

The installation of USB driver 3.24 on my system (macOS High Sierra, 10.13.6) failed.
Double-click on Fireface USB.pkg yields the message:

"Fireface USB Driver kann auf diesem Laufwerk nicht installiert werden. This Driver Package requires Mac OS Big Sur or higher."

USB driver 3.19_4 works without problems.

We'll check, thanks.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

russellproductions wrote:
MC wrote:

Yes entered recovery and disabled SIP . Driver will install but will not be available for use. I can verify the insulation with Fireface USB app. Also Totalmix will not see Baby face pro.
Again this is with Apple MacBook Air M! running latest OS 11.0.1 and Babyface pro FS with latest Firmware 127 and beta driver 324.

Thanks for your time.

I updated my statement in the first post to make it more clear.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I didn’t see the security settings in recovery mode That was the problem. The driver now works flawlessly. Thanks again for your effort. RME products and there support are second to none!!

33 (edited by breun 2020-11-29 22:10:10)

Chardonnay wrote:

"The USB driver 3.24 supports Mac OS 10.12 and up, including macOS 11, Intel and M1, and also has TM FX 1.70 on board."

The installation of USB driver 3.24 on my system (macOS High Sierra, 10.13.6) failed.

"Fireface USB Driver kann auf diesem Laufwerk nicht installiert werden. This Driver Package requires Mac OS Big Sur or higher."

USB driver 3.19_4 works without problems.

The installer for driver 3.24 in driver_usb_mac_324.zip (2020-11-27) also fails for me on macOS Catalina 10.15.7. I get an error message saying "This Driver Package requires Mac OS Big Sur or higher".

By the way, the included Readme Fireface USB.rtf file says "Driver for Mac OS 10.11 and up. Supports macOS 11 and up, Intel / M1 (Apple Silicon)", so the description of the download and the included readme also don't completely agree (10.11 and up vs 10.12 and up).

I will stay on driver 3.19 for now. I did successfully flash the firmware of my Babyface Pro from 126 to 127 using the flash updater from 2020-09-17.

Chardonnay wrote:

You're right, that was an internal error on our side. The driver package is only for macOS 11. I fixed the readme and the download on our website.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi, I believe you have a misconception regarding the cpu usage on Apple Silicon. I believe the mistake you are making is measuring CPU use as a measurement of time taken to compute the audio you are requesting, versus delivering the computation results you need with the minimum amount of power required but still meeting the deadline for delivering that audio to core audio.

In my experience using the developer transition kit machine, if I used an audio workgroup (documented at https://developer.apple.com/documentati … rkgroups), the system always reliably finished computing my DSP work before the requested deadline. I saw that at minimal CPU loads the audio thread always ran on an efficiency core until the cpu load reached a certain level, at which point the threads would be automatically moved to the performance core.

This switching seemed to work very well and is likely how the large gains in battery life are achieved on the system. But it also means that if I try to measure the cpu usage as percentage of cpu use over the period of time available, it was just plain inaccurate. But I also have to add that this situation is at least much better than on intel -- on that system you could do some audio computation and it would run the cpu near full clock rate, then the cpu would heat up and the system would throttle back the cpu to cool it down and then you would get an overload and audio glitch.

As for behaviour under rosetta, our testing showed higher power consumption when using an ac power logger, so I guess it just runs in some sort of compatibility mode.

Thanks for the detailed information, but I believe you have a misconception about TM FX. It doesn't compute or transfers audio - it produces mainly graphics load (it's a remote app for the hardware DSP). We are aware the audio transfers via CoreAudio as such work very well on M1 machines.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I fixed the download of the HDSPe driver (wrong file name) and added it to the Multiface and Digiface selection on the website.

I also uploaded the FireWire driver 3.40 for macOS 11.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Update 2020/11/30

- The FireWire driver 3.40 supports macOS 11, Intel and M1, and has TM FX 1.70 on board.

Tested on mac mini M1. Took a few installs to get the kernel extensions working properly, but after about 1 hr of use, everything appears to be functioning as normal. Amazing!

I edited the last Update section as the statement that the Dante Controller does not work under Big Sur was not correct. While officially only approved up to 10.15, it indeed works on Intel Big Sur machines. But won't even start on M1 machines.

For control we used the usual dongle parade: Apple Thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter plus Thunderbolt 2 to Ethernet adapter. From there ethernet cable plugged into the DF dante. A TB docking station with ethernet port would also work.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

For control we used the usual dongle parade: Apple Thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter plus Thunderbolt 2 to Ethernet adapter. From there ethernet cable plugged into the DF dante. A TB docking station with ethernet port would also work.

I’m not familiar with Dante, but do you need Thunderbolt adapters in this case? Couldn’t you just use a USB-C to Ethernet adapter?

I don't have one. Might work too.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:
AnSolas wrote:

Hi, is there a way to use my Multiface II with a Apple Mac Mini M1 ?

An external TB to PCIe chassis is available from several companies and described in the Tips & Tricks section of this forum. Cheapest and most simple at this time is the Sonnet SE1.

Thank you very much !

43 (edited by android 2020-12-04 17:21:06)

Hello,

i just bought a new imac (intel) with big sur and newest version of logic. of course my old apogee audio interface and roland midi interface no longer work. i need to get up and running asap.

I am looking at buying the babyface pro fs. it looks to have everything i need.

Will this work for me? has midi i/o been tested yet? in addition to audio recording i need to control external synths via logic.

thank you.
Andrew

44 (edited by spacyfreak 2020-12-06 13:05:13)

Helo, thinking of buying Macbook Air (M1).
The RME Fireface UCX is at the moment connected via Firewire to Mac Mini (2012).
Whats your recommendation to run UCX on Macbook Air M1?

Would like to use Firewire (i guess its a little more performant then USB?)

I would love to avoid some annoying adapters, but it seems in this case i need (absurd expensive) firewiire-to-USBc adapter?
Or should i simply use USB between USC and Macbook?

Is TotalMix compatible?

Struggling to migrate to M1, feels like it will cost time to get all this running.
I guess its simply to fresh, better waiting a year or so till all drivers and also 3rd party plugins are "Apple Silicon"-ready.
The old system runs smooth, so why change to early. <3

Hey,

According to the forum the driver should already work on Macs with M1, just go with USB. Maybe buy a USB-C to USB-B 2.0 cable if you don't like adapters.
I don't think Firewire is more performant than USB on a modern CPU. On my MacBook Pro 2014 it is more stable though, but I think that's not really common, USB works for most people. For my part, I had countless Core Audio crashes with USB. Never happened using Firewire, so I am sticking with that. Still works like a charm with adapters/dock from Thunderbolt, even with a very long Firewire cable (I think it's 10m) and a daisy chained Fireface 400 + UCX combo.

For the rare case that you encounter similar problems on the M1 you could still try Firewire with a chain of adapters.

hselters wrote:

Hey,

According to the forum the driver should already work on Macs with M1, just go with USB. Maybe buy a USB-C to USB-B 2.0 cable if you don't like adapters.
I don't think Firewire is more performant than USB on a modern CPU. On my MacBook Pro 2014 it is more stable though, but I think that's not really common, USB works for most people. For my part, I had countless Core Audio crashes with USB. Never happened using Firewire, so I am sticking with that. Still works like a charm with adapters/dock from Thunderbolt, even with a very long Firewire cable (I think it's 10m) and a daisy chained Fireface 400 + UCX combo.

For the rare case that you encounter similar problems on the M1 you could still try Firewire with a chain of adapters.

Yo stability is my biggest concern .. as the last years on my mac mini 2012 i had NOT ONE CRASH and RME simply runs ALWAYS superb. But i will wait, my system runs very good, no need to upgrade at the moment in a hurry, and next year comes "M2" or maybe some Macbooks with  Touchscreen? Just blown away by M1 performance, but that must not lead to change the system, as long as the old one works like a champ.

Would anyone be able to confirm if a Fireface (400 or 800) is working with a USB C port on M1 Mac (through use of a dongle/adapter parade)? Looks like it will work with a Thunderbolt port from what I gather but I've got a dock and all my Thunderbolt ports are used up.

Ordered an M1 Macbook Air to replace my 10 yr old iMac that will be here next week and I actually had a Fireface 800 that I recently sold after reading some comments on here from RME about Firewire devices not being supported on M1 Macs (should have known better I guess with their history of driver updates). I'd pick one up again if it's confirmed working.

awdwon wrote:

Would anyone be able to confirm if a Fireface (400 or 800) is working with a USB C port on M1 Mac (through use of a dongle/adapter parade)? Looks like it will work with a Thunderbolt port from what I gather but I've got a dock and all my Thunderbolt ports are used up.

Ordered an M1 Macbook Air to replace my 10 yr old iMac that will be here next week and I actually had a Fireface 800 that I recently sold after reading some comments on here from RME about Firewire devices not being supported on M1 Macs (should have known better I guess with their history of driver updates). I'd pick one up again if it's confirmed working.

Hello awdwon, I can confirm that a Fireface 400 will work via adapters to the M1 mac. You will need to to change the security settings on your mac to get the kernel extensions working properly. It took me a few driver re-installs, but it is working now. I've tried two signal chains and they both work:

1. M1 Mac TB3 Port -> TB3 to TB2 adapter -> TB2 to Apple TB display -> Display FW800 port to FF400
2. M2 Mac TB3 Port -> TB3 to TB2 adapter -> TB2 to FW800 adapter -> FW800 to FW400

All the adapters listed above are Apple-branded. I can't confirm if other adapters work.

AndrewHall wrote:
awdwon wrote:

Hello awdwon, I can confirm that a Fireface 400 will work via adapters to the M1 mac. You will need to to change the security settings on your mac to get the kernel extensions working properly. It took me a few driver re-installs, but it is working now. I've tried two signal chains and they both work:

1. M1 Mac TB3 Port -> TB3 to TB2 adapter -> TB2 to Apple TB display -> Display FW800 port to FF400
2. M2 Mac TB3 Port -> TB3 to TB2 adapter -> TB2 to FW800 adapter -> FW800 to FW400

All the adapters listed above are Apple-branded. I can't confirm if other adapters work.

Thanks for confirming. I may end up just getting a UC or UCX, seems like it may be a little easier to manage going forward. I haven’t bought a new computer in 8-10 years and all these new ports are melting my brain trying to figure out what works with what.

awdwon wrote:

Thanks for confirming. I may end up just getting a UC or UCX, seems like it may be a little easier to manage going forward. I haven’t bought a new computer in 8-10 years and all these new ports are melting my brain trying to figure out what works with what.

Can I join the (melted brain) club?
It seems computers laptops and mobiles are all now throw away in 2 years, when we have USB-E v5.6 ports I guess. RME is a shining exception, with my hdsp cards still working on win 10.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632