Re: Mac USB driver for macOS 11 & Apple Silicon hardware

waedi wrote:
remy wrote:

Honestly, MAC and RME has always been a horror, but now with the latest OS we are on another level, you have to go in and boot and remove security and it still not working, even worse it's rebooting my mac, when i followed all the steps on your website....
When you pay 900e for a soundcard and it's not click and PLAY there is something wrong with your gear. HIRE SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS MAKE IT WORK!!!!
You shoudn't have to be a computer nerd to make something work, i think you should stop selling your gear as compatible with MAC/APPLE. period....
seriously....

And what about those who have no issues at all ?
My M1 works perfectly fine with the interfaces with the latest driver.
No issues !
From my point of view those who have problems are doing all something wrong.
Don't blame RME because you can't handle your computer.

You think we all idiots here and can't make our Apple Silicon work with RME? I am software developer myself. And I am selling my Babyface, because it's a disaster.

502 (edited by dhatt 2023-06-15 22:14:08)

mattrixx wrote:
remy wrote:

Honestly, MAC and RME has always been a horror, but now with the latest OS we are on another level, you have to go in and boot and remove security and it still not working, even worse it's rebooting my mac, when i followed all the steps on your website....
When you pay 900e for a soundcard and it's not click and PLAY there is something wrong with your gear. HIRE SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS MAKE IT WORK!!!!
You shoudn't have to be a computer nerd to make something work, i think you should stop selling your gear as compatible with MAC/APPLE. period....
seriously....

You have to be kidding right?  RME has been the most solid and reliable driver set for Mac OS, for many many years!!

Who cares about what happened many many years ago? RME can't fix Apple Silicon drivers for about 2 years already. How long we should wait, and should we at all? The last update was in SEPTEMBER 2022, and the next one is in JUNE 2023. You serious???

I wouldn't trust RME for any live usage for many many years now. I am not sure what should happen for me to trust RME again. I literally can't run Spotify without stuttering, not to mention work in a DAW...

dhatt wrote:
mattrixx wrote:
remy wrote:

seriously....

You have to be kidding right?  RME has been the most solid and reliable driver set for Mac OS, for many many years!!

Who cares about what happened many many years ago? RME can't fix Apple Silicon drivers for about 2 years already. How long we should wait, and should we at all? The last update was in SEPTEMBER 2022, and the next one is in JUNE 2023. You serious???

I wouldn't trust RME for any live usage for many many years now. I am not sure what should happen for me to trust RME again. I literally can't run Spotify without stuttering, not to mention work in a DAW...

No, not kidding. And you've misunderstood what I wrote there...  not "many years ago"... Still now!!  I'm not sure what your issue is, but I use RME UF and UFXII daily on MacOS silicon without issue.  Yes, there were some obstacles in the earlier parts of the beta with the DriverKit drivers.  However, that has been sorted. (it was a beta after all)

----------------
Matt McKenzie-Smith (UFXII, UFX, Babyface) MacStudioUltra OS13.2.1
----------------

mattrixx wrote:
dhatt wrote:
mattrixx wrote:

No, not kidding. And you've misunderstood what I wrote there...  not "many years ago"... Still now!!  I'm not sure what your issue is, but I use RME UF and UFXII daily on MacOS silicon without issue.  Yes, there were some obstacles in the earlier parts of the beta with the DriverKit drivers.  However, that has been sorted. (it was a beta after all)

I am happy for you. How you use RME with Apple Silicon without issues. You so happy that you think all those people writing here about issue having hallucinations, and all RME drivers are perfect. Anyway, selling RME and never buy it again. Mostly because I don't like when someone takes me as an idiot.

dhatt wrote:
mattrixx wrote:
dhatt wrote:

I am happy for you. How you use RME with Apple Silicon without issues. You so happy that you think all those people writing here about issue having hallucinations, and all RME drivers are perfect. Anyway, selling RME and never buy it again. Mostly because I don't like when someone takes me as an idiot.

Wait a minute.. I never referred to anyone as an idiot. Nor did I say that people were having hallucinations and I clearly mentioned that in the beta stage of this very new driver, that yes, there were indeed problems.
But please don't make this into something that it is not.  All the very best on which ever path you take.

----------------
----------------

Well said.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hi,

I came here a few times with the same frustration of having cracks with any sound source I used with an RME Babyface FS interface. After uninstalling SoundSource and ACE from Rogue Amoeba, those cracks have disappeared! I can finally listen to and compose some music without constant glitches.

I hope this can help some people using similar setups including Audio Hijack or other tools hacking the audio chain.

508 (edited by hselters 2023-06-17 14:04:41)

Currently I cannot listen to Apple Music in Atmos without dropouts.

Somehow it is not working directly on the RME drivers, it always only outputs 5.1, although 7.1.4 is configured in macOS Audio Midi Setup (I also tried 7.1 without success).

Currently, the only workaround is configuring virtual interfaces in the audio midi setup.
I read different theories online, one says that any interface with more than 16 channel does not work, another was pointing to the 8 channel chunks RME's show up under audio midi setup (and might handle audio streams?).
see here for example: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/au … t.2389960/

Would it be possible to fix this from RMEs side with the new driver?

Hi eveyone,

Newbie here.

Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong section of the forum. Sorry also for my faulty English, this is not my mother tongue.

I have a small issue.

I just purchased a Mac Mini M2 2023 running under Ventura, and moved to a RME BabyFace Pro FS as unfortunately Mac has decided some time ago to drop the digital outputs on its machines. the BabyFace is connected to the Mini using the supplied USB C cable.

Installation went fine, I could hook successfully my XLR microphone and the headset to the BabyFace and it works well.

My issue is with the Digital Output to the SoundBar I'm using for audio playback on the Mini. When selecting it, nothing happens. I cannot see any life on TotalMix FX's AS1/2. The cable seems OK - I can see light at the connector end on the SoundBar side - I have set the USB settings to SPDIF, I changed several time the sample rate from 32,000 Hz up to 192,000 Hz and of course 44,100 Hz in between, Clock Source internal... and still nothing.

Can you please let me know what I have done wrong?

pat17630 wrote:

My issue is with the Digital Output to the SoundBar I'm using for audio playback on the Mini. When selecting it, nothing happens. I cannot see any life on TotalMix FX's AS1/2.

So you did not route any signal to that output in TM FX? Or what does 'selecting it' mean?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:
pat17630 wrote:

My issue is with the Digital Output to the SoundBar I'm using for audio playback on the Mini. When selecting it, nothing happens. I cannot see any life on TotalMix FX's AS1/2.

So you did not route any signal to that output in TM FX? Or what does 'selecting it' mean?

Well actually I have not touched much to TM FX, I was under the impression this should be working straight out of the box - again, completely new to the RME world.

I am selecting it on the BabyFace itself, by pressing the hard button 'out' till the 'opt' appears.

pat17630 wrote:
MC wrote:
pat17630 wrote:

So you did not route any signal to that output in TM FX? Or what does 'secting it' mean?

Well actually I have not touched much to TM FX, I was under the impression this should be working straight out of the box - again, completely new to the RME world.

I am selecting it on the BabyFace itself, by pressing the hard button 'out' till the 'opt' appears.

A: you have to select the AS1/2 output in your playback software
B: when the signal appears in Totalmix 'software playback' channel AS1/2, you have to raise up the fader after selecting the 'hardware output' AS1/2 (by doing a simple click on the channel name).

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

Thanks a lot Oli, I managed to make it work following your recommendation!

The last bit was to select a sample rate limited to 44,100 Hz to hear sound. I guess then the BabyFace cannot perform upsampling?

While trying to make it work, I lost on TotalMix the Phone 3/4 channel on hardware output - it does appear on 'Software Playback' but on the 'Hardware Outputs' section it jumps directly from 'AN 1/2' to 'AS 1/2' and as a matter of fact, there is no sound going to the headphone any longer -

https://i88.servimg.com/u/f88/16/91/68/42/captur40.png

Sorry to be so dump... roll

514 (edited by oli77sch 2023-06-18 10:28:41)

pat17630 wrote:

Thanks a lot Oli, I managed to make it work following your recommendation!

The last bit was to select a sample rate limited to 44,100 Hz to hear sound. I guess then the BabyFace cannot perform upsampling?

While trying to make it work, I lost on TotalMix the Phone 3/4 channel on hardware output - it does appear on 'Software Playback' but on the 'Hardware Outputs' section it jumps directly from 'AN 1/2' to 'AS 1/2' and as a matter of fact, there is no sound going to the headphone any longer -

https://i88.servimg.com/u/f88/16/91/68/42/captur40.png

Sorry to be so dump... roll

The headphone output is assigned to the main out on the bottom right (control room). If you want it to have as 'normal' hardware output, click on the 'assign' button > Main out > none. It would switch to the left then.
Short TotalMix basic: EVERY hardware output (by default stereo pairs, but could be even one single mono one) can have its own mix from hw inputs and sw playbacks. So you can have AS1/2 software playback on the corresponding hardware output as well as on headphone (AN3/4) output.
That would say, it’s not even necessary to set the output of your audio software (DAW or whatever) to the AS1/2 output in your case, also the default playback outputs (AN1/2) can be routed to AS1/2 hardware out. I only suggested it to do so, because it’s easier to keep the overview.
Concerning the sample rate: when internal clock is selected in the RME sttings, the playback software dictates the sample rate, the Babyface automatically switches to that value. Maybe your soundbar only accepts certain sample rates?

Thanks Oli for all your explanations!

I got it back thanks to you -

https://i88.servimg.com/u/f88/16/91/68/42/captur43.png

Sorry to ask again... This should be the last issue...

The sound is coming through USB. At this stage, I'd like to get it out through PH 3/4 and / or AS 1/2. It can get out through AN 1/2 like the case now, but this is not important if it doesn't.

How to make it work in a simple way? As shown the only outgoing signal is through AN 1/2. I've tried to do it on the interface (Out/In/Mix/Select with the right options), no way; I've tried to assign it through the control room, no way. Currently everything is unassigned... and no activity on both outputs...

Thanks for your patience!

516 (edited by oli77sch 2023-06-18 11:36:19)

pat17630 wrote:

Thanks Oli for all your explanations!

I got it back thanks to you -

https://i88.servimg.com/u/f88/16/91/68/42/captur43.png

Sorry to ask again... This should be the last issue...

The sound is coming through USB. At this stage, I'd like to get it out through PH 3/4 and / or AS 1/2. It can get out through AN 1/2 like the case now, but this is not important if it doesn't.

How to make it work in a simple way? As shown the only outgoing signal is through AN 1/2. I've tried to do it on the interface (Out/In/Mix/Select with the right options), no way; I've tried to assign it through the control room, no way. Currently everything is unassigned... and no activity on both outputs...

Thanks for your patience!

I just saw you have TotalMix in 'free' routing mode. I would recommend to set it to 'submix' mode, it’s much easier to have the overwiev.
In 'submix' mode, you can click on a hardware output channel strip to make visible its mix. As soon it is selected, you can open or close (move faders) of playback and input channels to create the mix you want. In 'free' mode, you have to select the output name on the bottom of every channel (playback or input) to route it there.
So my suggestion:
Set TotalMix to 'submix' mode.
Click on PH3/4 hardware output, raise up the faders of the playback channel(s) you have in use for your DAW (or whatever software). Then do the same on AS1/2 hardware output.
Assigning channels to Main, Speakers B, and Phones 1 and 2 is only to have the typical additional options and tools for studio applications, for example easy switching between the main monitor speakers and a second pair or such. If your soundbar is sort of your main speakers, you could assign the AS1/2 out to the Main.

sbusso wrote:

Hi,

I came here a few times with the same frustration of having cracks with any sound source I used with an RME Babyface FS interface. After uninstalling SoundSource and ACE from Rogue Amoeba, those cracks have disappeared! I can finally listen to and compose some music without constant glitches.

I hope this can help some people using similar setups including Audio Hijack or other tools hacking the audio chain.

It helped a lot, I don't understand why you have to pay for third-party software to work with the sound card, otherwise, I get glitches

ofekag wrote:
sbusso wrote:

Hi,

It helped a lot, I don't understand why you have to pay for third-party software to work with the sound card, otherwise, I get glitches

What are you talking about? Paying for what?

Anyway, I've indeed had SoundSource from Rogue Amoeba installed. Uninstalling it didn't helped, I still have glitches.

Hi everyone,

Moving bit by bit... I've moved to 'submix' mode, and tried to watch videos from RME in order to better understand how it works.

I guess my main confusion comes from the fact I believed the AN 1/2 input was the Mac, actually this is the XLR Input (I was not joking when I mentioned I was a Newbie...).

Question is then how to materialize the Mac on the TotalMix interface (I've seen it was the case on one of the videos, in the 'Software Playback' section but maybe it should better be in the 'Hardware Input' section?), in order to perform the right routing? Excepted for the microphone, all sounds are coming from the Mini.

I've hooked the BabyFace through the USB only, since no other output available on the Mini.

Renewed thanks for your patience, I realise how dumb I am on this kind of subjects...

Hi everyone,

I just start running the RME fireface on the 13.2.1 which can not find the connection either by MIDI or total mix, I have tried the security setting by reduce it at recovery mode, not sure if any have the same issue? I can actually found it at USB port connection the system report panel. Not sure because of the driver is not support 13.x yet, BTW my machine chip is M1 Max.

pat17630 wrote:

Hi everyone,

Moving bit by bit... I've moved to 'submix' mode, and tried to watch videos from RME in order to better understand how it works.

I guess my main confusion comes from the fact I believed the AN 1/2 input was the Mac, actually this is the XLR Input (I was not joking when I mentioned I was a Newbie...).

Question is then how to materialize the Mac on the TotalMix interface (I've seen it was the case on one of the videos, in the 'Software Playback' section but maybe it should better be in the 'Hardware Input' section?), in order to perform the right routing? Excepted for the microphone, all sounds are coming from the Mini.

I've hooked the BabyFace through the USB only, since no other output available on the Mini.

Renewed thanks for your patience, I realise how dumb I am on this kind of subjects...

I would recommend you to try another view: an audio interface is kind of an additional part of the computer. The transferred (audio) data between the two units over USB is comparable to the data traffic on a mainboard or such, but not really comparable to audio streams over analog or digital cables. As soon your Babyface pro is plugged in, the computer now has mic and instrument inputs, headphone and XLR main outputs as well as optical i/o and midi i/o ports.
Maybe now Totalmix makes more sense? 'Hardware inputs' are the ports for microphones or such. 'AN' simply means 'analog'. 'Software playback' channels are for what is coming from the computer, or better to say: files or streams played from whatever software that can use audio (Zoom, browser with YouTube, DAW, video players…). 'Hardware outputs' are to control the physical outputs. But now there is something a bit hard to get for new users: the RME driver 'tells' to the system, what device and how many input and output channels there are. If you choose a particular output stereo pair, for example ADAT 3/4 in Logic pro, the system now sends the audio data over the corresponding channels to the Babyface and you can see the levels on the 'software playback' channels ADAT 3/4. But the audio data didn’t reach the physical output yet. Of course normally one would route it 1:1 to the corresponding hardware output because it makes sense, but with Totalmix it’s possible to route this signals to every output you want, let’s say you want it to hear on your headphones. Logic pro now still 'thinks' it’s sending to ADAT 3/4, but TotalMix 'knows' it’s routed to the headphone outputs instead (or in addition).

bovey_zheng wrote:

Hi everyone,

I just start running the RME fireface on the 13.2.1 which can not find the connection either by MIDI or total mix, I have tried the security setting by reduce it at recovery mode, not sure if any have the same issue? I can actually found it at USB port connection the system report panel. Not sure because of the driver is not support 13.x yet, BTW my machine chip is M1 Max.

Hi and welcome!
Please tell us:
- what exact 'Fireface' you have
- what exact driver version you loaded and installed
- is the RME driver allowed in macOS system settings (security and privacy)?
- how exactly is the interface plugged to the computer (USB A or C, hubs or docks involved…)?

Hello all, I left a message earlier in this thread about audio stuttering on M1 macs. It does seem hit and miss who is affected.

Those posting about this issue at Audiosciencereview are reporting resolution with installation of MacOS Sonoma Beta. I've since reverted back to an Intel machine so unable to test myself but it may offer a resolution for those still reporting the issue here. May be worth trying an install on an external drive to test.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/foru … 01/page-15

alye wrote:

Hello all, I left a message earlier in this thread about audio stuttering on M1 macs. It does seem hit and miss who is affected.

Those posting about this issue at Audiosciencereview are reporting resolution with installation of MacOS Sonoma Beta. I've since reverted back to an Intel machine so unable to test myself but it may offer a resolution for those still reporting the issue here. May be worth trying an install on an external drive to test.

That's great news and confirms it was an OS issue all along. (Which most of us knew in any case and I'd also had it confirmed by a couple of insiders).

----------------
----------------

Sounds promising, but I'd love to hear from an RME user that the MacOS beta solved this glitch / dropout problem! Sure hope it solves it. Driving me up the wall! Just tried making a new user account on this Mac to see if that would help. Hours setting up Bitwig & plugins and licences only to get the same glitchy result.

Fingers crossed for MacOS Sonoma (but then I've said this every OS release for the past few years).. Think I'll wait for the final release though, very wary of installing a beta on this machine.

mattrixx wrote:
alye wrote:

That's great news and confirms it was an OS issue all along. (Which most of us knew in any case and I'd also had it confirmed by a couple of insiders).

Way to early to say it confirms anything yet.

Hello all, I am an owner of a Fireface UFX III and a Macbook 16" M1 Pro (32 gb of ram and 1 tb of ssd).
I am a guitar player and I normally run Neural DSP / Amplitube 5 and other similar software.
With the Fireface I need to set up my buffer size to 128 to avoid droplets and crackling noise. (48khz, with a latency around 7.5 ms)
With a Scarlet 2i2 I can go low as 32 (48khz, with a latency around 3 ms).
Out of curiosity I tried the Fireface on a Windows machine (a gaming PC 3 years old) and I was surprise to see way better performance from my RME interface: 48khz, 32 buffer size at 1.8 ms of latency with zero drop or cracking noise.
Is it normal that wind driver perform way better than mac os one?
Why the scarlet 2i2 is performing better than the Fireface UFX III? Is it because of the RME M1 driver are not yet at 100%?
Thanks!

Was the exact same software running on the Windows PC for the comparison test ?
Amplitube and else ?

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Same exact software.
In particular my stress test is:
- playing the youtube video of a solo I am studying, with looper.tube at a slower speed then original.
- playing guitar with a standalone app like neural dsp Nolly or McRockling Suite from Polychrome DSP.
To avoid any drop/crackling noise I need to setup the buffer at least at 96 or 128.
In windows, everything was smooth at 32.

Hello there, I'm observing some unexpected crackling in Ableton with my UCX II, which debug logs I should be looking at to provide to RME support?

illumina wrote:

Hello there, I'm observing some unexpected crackling in Ableton with my UCX II, which debug logs I should be looking at to provide to RME support?

There's no such thing as "RME support" exist. Their answer is: "Something wrong with your computer, change it"

illumina wrote:

Hello, not an expert but I will try to help.
I didn't know exactly why buffer size impact in performance till I watched this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUsLLEkswzE&t=905s

Saying that, what buffer size are you using on your session?
For what I understand it is all about finding a good balance between buffer size and latency.

dhatt wrote:
illumina wrote:

There's no such thing as "RME support" exist. Their answer is: "Something wrong with your computer, change it"

That is wrong !

There is a difference between looking for help for solving a problem
and looking for someone who do the work for you. Whiping...

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

dhatt wrote:

In most cases, audio performance issues are a matter of the computer or OS - if there were some kind of magic driver fix to immediately solve these issues, we would have done so already. Current Mac performance issues are in no way limited to RME gear, either, as a quick web search will reveal...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:
dhatt wrote:

In most cases, audio performance issues are a matter of the computer or OS - if there were some kind of magic driver fix to immediately solve these issues, we would have done so already. Current Mac performance issues are in no way limited to RME gear, either, as a quick web search will reveal...

yup, this!!!

----------------
----------------

I really hope that Sonoma will solve all my small issues.
Nothing is really blocking me at the moment, but I think the OS is preventing me to get all the benefit from my audio interface.
Just doing a test on windows was eye opening.
For now I will use 128 buffer size which seems stable and have a decent round trip latency.

537 (edited by dhatt 2023-07-17 21:16:55)

waedi wrote:
dhatt wrote:
illumina wrote:

That is wrong !

There is a difference between looking for help for solving a problem
and looking for someone who do the work for you. Whiping...

I actually work hard to afford gear that cost a lot of money, and I expect them to WORK, without me wasting my time on figuring it out..

dhatt wrote:

I actually work hard to afford gear that cost a lot of money, and I expect them to WORK, without me wasting my time on figuring it out..

Sadly, things aren't that simple in real life, even the best interface needs a working environment.
Your Mac likely cost a fair deal of money as well...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

a small update: I made some tests on my M1 Pro mac with another different audio interface: an Arturia Minifuse 4 (a 250$ interface). I had zero issue even with a buffer of 16 and 32 doing exactly the same operation I normally do.
I then tested again with the Fireface UFX III and it immediately started to stutter and create audio pops.
I might understand that that the issue is from Apple, but it doesn't make my 3k $ audio interface usable.
I will have to return it, luckily I am still inside my return window.

matteo.merzi wrote:

a small update: I made some tests on my M1 Pro mac with another different audio interface: an Arturia Minifuse 4 (a 250$ interface). I had zero issue even with a buffer of 16 and 32 doing exactly the same operation I normally do.
I then tested again with the Fireface UFX III and it immediately started to stutter and create audio pops.
I might understand that that the issue is from Apple, but it doesn't make my 3k $ audio interface usable.

Reason why I'll switch to PC ASAP, Apple is not what it was in the past. And their price is now part of luxury domain

kennyserane wrote:

Reason why I'll switch to PC ASAP, Apple is not what it was in the past. And their price is now part of luxury domain

I don't disagree, Apple is a giant and can do whatever they want and that is not correct.
But I really like the ecosystem. I started using mac os in 2006 and for me it was a game changer.
Every time I use a windows laptop I am lost.
btw: I did a NVRAM reset of my mac and now I am back to a usable environment, I can't go low as 32 buffer size, but 64 or 128 now is back to be usable. I don't know what happened before but it was nuts, it was stuttering every time I was moving from one app to another

Hi,

my first post on the forum so nice to meet you all! Reading about problems some of you have, makes me feel a very lucky buyer indeed. I bought the BF Pro FS two weeks ago as a replacement for my 5-year-old Clarett 8PreX and honestly I couldn't be happier. I'm currently using the interface both on a Mac Mini Intel and a Macbook Pro M1 with absolutely no issues. And by no issues I mean no glitches, dropouts or anything in multiple film score projects with 200+ tracks both in Ableton Live and, occasionally, for purely timecode specific tasks - Logic. Buffer sizes from 64 up to 1024, depending on whether I am recording instruments or mixing. Plus - the driver kit from RME and the fact that I don't have to mess around with security settings on my M1 is absolutely amazing. I think RME is currently the only company that has this figured out in the M1/M2 environment.

I sincerely hope you find a solution to your problems. I know how frustrating they can be.

Cheers!

matteo.merzi wrote:
kennyserane wrote:

I don't disagree, Apple is a giant and can do whatever they want and that is not correct.
But I really like the ecosystem. I started using mac os in 2006 and for me it was a game changer.
btw: I did a NVRAM reset of my mac and now I am back to a usable environment, I can't go low as 32 buffer size, but 64 or 128 now is back to be usable. I don't know what happened before but it was nuts, it was stuttering every time I was moving from one app to another

If a OSX system works, it's the best around. It was the Apple argument since earlier. Now, we have 1 OS update by year. 3rd party developers can't keep up) and they force you to switch to the lastest one if you use Logic, it was the thing I quit all Apple apps. Final cut to Resolve (free and way more powerful), Logic to Cubase to Reaper (free!) and many more apps to gently stay away from them. YES, Windows OS is annoying, disturbing but I think the most important is softwares you use on it and spend the most of your time

544 (edited by dhatt 2023-07-22 14:36:38)

kennyserane wrote:
matteo.merzi wrote:

Hope you joking, because M1 laptops cost less than plastic Chinese PC crap. Not to mention powerful PC laptops, that easily cost no same price as maxed out Macbook Pro's. Noone in clear mind will switch platform because of disfunctional audio interface, not to mention Arturia card working without issues.

matteo.merzi wrote:
kennyserane wrote:

Emmm...Apple Silicon doesn't have NVRAM reset big_smile

546 (edited by dhatt 2023-07-22 14:41:16)

optima.top wrote:

Hi,

my first post on the forum so nice to meet you all! Reading about problems some of you have, makes me feel a very lucky buyer indeed. I bought the BF Pro FS two weeks ago as a replacement for my 5-year-old Clarett 8PreX and honestly I couldn't be happier. I'm currently using the interface both on a Mac Mini Intel and a Macbook Pro M1 with absolutely no issues. And by no issues I mean no glitches, dropouts or anything in multiple film score projects with 200+ tracks both in Ableton Live and, occasionally, for purely timecode specific tasks - Logic. Buffer sizes from 64 up to 1024, depending on whether I am recording instruments or mixing. Plus - the driver kit from RME and the fact that I don't have to mess around with security settings on my M1 is absolutely amazing. I think RME is currently the only company that has this figured out in the M1/M2 environment.

I sincerely hope you find a solution to your problems. I know how frustrating they can be.

Cheers!

You know what frustrating? Posts from people like you, distorting the image and discussion. Imagine, people having problems, they discuss it, and then someone, like, "Hey folks I just want you to know, I don't have any problems, cheers!". Are you f**king serious? Or you just a RME bot aiming to damage control and pretend that not everything as bad as it really is? Can't believe people like you exist.

547 (edited by ramses 2023-07-22 16:09:01)

matteo.merzi wrote:

But here you are comparing apples with oranges. The Arturia is a 4-channel audio interface, where a total of only (!) 8 input and output channels are permanently transferred via USB2. The UFX III is a 94 channel interface where 188 input and output channels have to be permanently transferred via USB3.
This is a much higher audio bandwidth that has to be permanently transferred via USB. It doesn't matter if the inputs or outputs are in use, everything is always transferred by the driver.
So if there is a problem somewhere in the Apple operating system that interferes with real-time audio processing, it is no surprise that the likelihood of audio problems is higher with an interface that has more channels (in this case, many more channels) as so much more audio data has to be transferred / processed in time.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

dhatt wrote:
kennyserane wrote:
matteo.merzi wrote:

Hope you joking, because M1 laptops cost less than plastic Chinese PC crap. Not to mention powerful PC laptops, that easily cost no same price as maxed out Macbook Pro's. Noone in clear mind will switch platform because of disfunctional audio interface, not to mention Arturia card working without issues.

If I switch it's not for audio interface, I had problems recently with RME but solved to not using a hub. My thoughts are Apple is not stable anymore (or stable enough for the price and what i knew before) with too many updates with no real interests into but problems for 3rd parties.

ramses wrote:
matteo.merzi wrote:

But here you are comparing apples with oranges. The Arturia is a 4-channel audio interface, where a total of only (!) 8 input and output channels are permanently transferred via USB2. The UFX III is a 94 channel interface where 188 input and output channels have to be permanently transferred via USB3.
This is a much higher audio bandwidth that has to be permanently transferred via USB. It doesn't matter if the inputs or outputs are in use, everything is always transferred by the driver.
So if there is a problem somewhere in the Apple operating system that interferes with real-time audio processing, it is no surprise that the likelihood of audio problems is higher with an interface that has more channels (in this case, many more channels) as so much more audio data has to be transferred / processed in time.

You do realize that people who have issues doesn't use all those channels and i/o? I have stutters only when using headphones with Spotify, not when recording Vienna Symphonic Orcestra

kennyserane wrote:
dhatt wrote:
kennyserane wrote:

If I switch it's not for audio interface, I had problems recently with RME but solved to not using a hub. My thoughts are Apple is not stable anymore (or stable enough for the price and what i knew before) with too many updates with no real interests into but problems for 3rd parties.

I agree on that part. But not really about luxury part. Samsung Galaxy cost same amount as iPhone, if not more. Same goes for gaming laptops. Where PC wins is when you assemble your own desktop, yeah. And before, you were also paying for software stability. I guess moving to Apple Silicon is not as smooth process as they might showing it...