Re: Mac USB driver for macOS 11 & Apple Silicon hardware

benpicc wrote:

hi,

i have a sonoma-updated (OS-full-reinstall from scratch and data coming from a timemachine-backup) M1-macbook here, and installed the latest 4.09-drivers and firmware for my madiface XT. using it (usb) with nuendo 12 and 13, the performance on record is catastrophic; i can't even record a single track @48kHz with a 512-buffer without clicks and dropouts; also see that the performance-meter is behaving in an erratic way, from 5% to full-load-jumps, just with this single track on record and zero plugins.

the very same system has been rocking like a champ on the same mac under monterey (i never installed ventura), never had a single glitch; and i have no clue what to do to troubleshoot all this.
i swapped the different usb-ports, the adapters, and the cables - all to no avail.
everything seems to be authorized correctly, no error pop-ups of any kind; just a miserable and completely unpredictable performance. using another brand at the moment, impossible to do anything with this madiface.
any idea?

thanks in advance!
b.

Try old Kernel extension drivers.

Re: Mac USB driver for macOS 11 & Apple Silicon hardware

igordp wrote:
benpicc wrote:

hi,

i have a sonoma-updated (OS-full-reinstall from scratch and data coming from a timemachine-backup) M1-macbook here, and installed the latest 4.09-drivers and firmware for my madiface XT. using it (usb) with nuendo 12 and 13, the performance on record is catastrophic; i can't even record a single track @48kHz with a 512-buffer without clicks and dropouts; also see that the performance-meter is behaving in an erratic way, from 5% to full-load-jumps, just with this single track on record and zero plugins.

the very same system has been rocking like a champ on the same mac under monterey (i never installed ventura), never had a single glitch; and i have no clue what to do to troubleshoot all this.
i swapped the different usb-ports, the adapters, and the cables - all to no avail.
everything seems to be authorized correctly, no error pop-ups of any kind; just a miserable and completely unpredictable performance. using another brand at the moment, impossible to do anything with this madiface.
any idea?

thanks in advance!
b.

Try old Kernel extension drivers.

...you mean 3.28B? i did - exact same problem.

Re: Mac USB driver for macOS 11 & Apple Silicon hardware

Hi, I'm experiencing similar problems on an M1Pro macbook with Sanoma 14.0 and a Digiface Dante. Once about every 10 minutes I get an audio dropout (sometimes two in one minute and sometimes it takes 20 minutes before the next, but on average that's it). I tried both the kernel and the driverkit drivers, swapped cables etc. I have two usb-c to usb3-b cables, both showing the same issue. However, when I connect to an USB2.0 hub, the device switches to USB2 mode and the problems disappear. Also, when I connect my Babyface Pro or FireFace 800 (yes, I still have that), they don't show this problem. Can it be a usb3 issue? I don't remember this to happen in my previous macOS version (Monterey) but it could be that it happened there once or twice too, sometimes it is hard to debug dropouts in a Dante environment. This time though I'm sure it's the driver and not Dante, as it happens with loopback inputs too (effectively bypassing Dante). Help would be appreciated, although for now I can live with using a USB2 hub ;-)

604

Re: Mac USB driver for macOS 11 & Apple Silicon hardware

Thats very interesting news !

Hopefully others can reproduce this !

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

605

Re: Mac USB driver for macOS 11 & Apple Silicon hardware

I am having an issue where I cannot get audio into Logic Pro using the V4.09 drivers and a BabyFace Pro. I can select the input, but no sound comes through. Input works in Ableton and Bitwig. When I switch to the older kernel extension driver, I can again hear audio from the BabyFace Pro inputs. Anyone else having this issue?

606

Re: Mac USB driver for macOS 11 & Apple Silicon hardware

Hey @woutersnoei -- I can confirm that I had the same experience: using a USB 2 cable instead of the USB 3 cable included with my Fireface UFX III solved the drop-outs issues!

Re: Mac USB driver for macOS 11 & Apple Silicon hardware

Zayne wrote:

I am having an issue where I cannot get audio into Logic Pro using the V4.09 drivers and a BabyFace Pro. I can select the input, but no sound comes through. Input works in Ableton and Bitwig. When I switch to the older kernel extension driver, I can again hear audio from the BabyFace Pro inputs. Anyone else having this issue?

Is Logic Pro allowed to use the 'microphone' in macOS system settings (under privacy and security)?

UCX - FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

608

Re: Mac USB driver for macOS 11 & Apple Silicon hardware

oli77sch wrote:
Zayne wrote:

I am having an issue where I cannot get audio into Logic Pro using the V4.09 drivers and a BabyFace Pro. I can select the input, but no sound comes through. Input works in Ableton and Bitwig. When I switch to the older kernel extension driver, I can again hear audio from the BabyFace Pro inputs. Anyone else having this issue?

Is Logic Pro allowed to use the 'microphone' in macOS system settings (under privacy and security)?

Yes, I checked that first. It's also a fresh install of Sonoma OS.

609

Re: Mac USB driver for macOS 11 & Apple Silicon hardware

USB drivers have been updated to v 4.10 as DriverKit and 3.31 as Kernel Extension. The new DriverKit driver reliably removes the Kernel Extension, so it is very easy to swap between these drivers and check which works better for you. That said CoreAudio works better in audio multiclient mode with the Kernel Extension, and if you set the Safety Offset to the new option 'Large' it behaves exactly like Apple's CC driver, at least in our tests.

Kernel Extension driver 3.31 also includes a slight performance improvement, so it is worth a try.

Driver download links in this thread:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=38691

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: Mac USB driver for macOS 11 & Apple Silicon hardware

MC wrote:

USB drivers have been updated to v 4.10 as DriverKit and 3.31 as Kernel Extension. The new DriverKit driver reliably removes the Kernel Extension, so it is very easy to swap between these drivers and check which works better for you. That said CoreAudio works better in audio multiclient mode with the Kernel Extension, and if you set the Safety Offset to the new option 'Large' it behaves exactly like Apple's CC driver, at least in our tests.

Kernel Extension driver 3.31 also includes a slight performance improvement, so it is worth a try.

Driver download links in this thread:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=38691

Hello!
I', having the same problems with audio stutters since the purchase of my UCX II 6 months ago.
I've tried every single option with drivers but no luck. I just keep getting stutters and kernel trap messages in console.
DriverKit behaves slightly better than kernel extensions, but problem is never gone.

Yesterday I gave another shot to kext 3.31 and its much worse than DK.
MBP M1 Max
Sonoma 14.2.1

Any tips on how to possibly resolve it are much appreciated

611

Re: Mac USB driver for macOS 11 & Apple Silicon hardware

We do our best, but we can't make wonders happen. When a system is so crooked up that a Kernel Extension driver does not only not help, but operates worse than DriverKit, that system seems to be ready for excorcism...

Seriously, contact someone with knowledge who has direct access to your computer, like our suport stuff or local guys. The forum can't help.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

612 (edited by anthera93 2024-01-12 22:28:49)

Re: Mac USB driver for macOS 11 & Apple Silicon hardware

I think after many months of struggling, I have found the reason why it's happening.
When I have opened discord, audio stuttered when Continuity Microphone popup appeared.

I tried to disable continuity camera on my iPhone and voila, not a single dropout all day!

Apparently macOS from time to time checks if iPhone is around for continuity capabilities and this causes dropouts when audio devices list gets update.

Re: Mac USB driver for macOS 11 & Apple Silicon hardware

That makes sense. When my iphone is around is sometimes pops up as an alternative for audio!

Re: Mac USB driver for macOS 11 & Apple Silicon hardware

Hi, I have been using old Babyface for 10 years. I didn't have any problems with the interface and suddenly my M1 MBP Monterey dont see the Rme interface. Then I tried with new drivers but nothing, flash tool doesn't want to update. Does anyone have the solution for this problem?

615

Re: Mac USB driver for macOS 11 & Apple Silicon hardware

I'm having performance issues and drop outs with the driverkit version (Babyface Pro) I tried installing the kernal extension instead but the babyface pro isn't detected at all when using that, so I had to switch back to driverkit, any reason why?

Re: Mac USB driver for macOS 11 & Apple Silicon hardware

lbond wrote:

I'm having performance issues and drop outs with the driverkit version (Babyface Pro) I tried installing the kernal extension instead but the babyface pro isn't detected at all when using that, so I had to switch back to driverkit, any reason why?

Worth checking if the kext installed at all. You'll have to follow RME's instructions to the word when installing the kext, including relaxing system security settings. After that go to the Apple menu and, where it says About This Mac, hold the Option (Alt) key, click on System Information to open the System Profiler, go to Software > Extensions and verify that you have an RME driver entry, that is both Notarised and Loaded. Hope this helps.

Fireface UCX, Mac Studio M2 max, macOS Sonoma

617 (edited by gmarinov 2024-01-29 23:22:22)

Re: Mac USB driver for macOS 11 & Apple Silicon hardware

- Reliable uninstallation of the RME Kernel Extension under Monterey (12), Ventura (13) and Sonoma (14).

I don't know what RME call "reliable uninstallation" but after upgrading to Sonoma the Kext driver was disabled, and then when I tried the DK driver instead, along with the Kext, it managed to mess up my Sonnet hub and not install the DK driver.

p.s. and the interface wouldn't work till I unplugged it from power and plugged it back in. Reinstalling the drivers made it stop responding again on the next restart.

p.p.s and again it fails the basic test where if I have a bunch of large images, attempting to quick-view them while anything is playing out of the interface causes drop-outs.

I'm not sure I have much patience left for the tiptoeing it takes to make these drivers work. Surely I'm not alone?

Fireface UCX, Mac Studio M2 max, macOS Sonoma

Re: Mac USB driver for macOS 11 & Apple Silicon hardware

The new DriverKit driver reliably removes the Kernel Extension

I am using the kernel driver for my old fireface 400, but will soonish also use a digiface dante for a theatre dante system.
Will installing the DriverKit driver for the digiface remove the kernel driver for my fireface ? (probably not, but just want to be sure)
Also will there be a conflict between different total mix versions ? I have now 1.76 installed (fireface 400) but the driver for the Digiface Dante will probably install a newer one, I guess.

619

Re: Mac USB driver for macOS 11 & Apple Silicon hardware

It won't remove it, and there is also no conflict. The newer TM FX will also work for an older FW driver.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

620 (edited by darkinners 2024-03-12 12:31:37)

Re: Mac USB driver for macOS 11 & Apple Silicon hardware

anthera93 wrote:

I think after many months of struggling, I have found the reason why it's happening.
When I have opened discord, audio stuttered when Continuity Microphone popup appeared.

I tried to disable continuity camera on my iPhone and voila, not a single dropout all day!

Apparently macOS from time to time checks if iPhone is around for continuity capabilities and this causes dropouts when audio devices list gets update.

That's interesting! how do you disable both of the continuity microphone and video? I would love to try that, that makes sense, my UFX+ USB used to be rock solid until Sonoma update, I had. to use Thunderbolt instead (it has it's own problem but much better than the USB connection under Sonoma)

*edit: nevermind I found the setting on my iPhone, dsiabled the continuity camera feature indeed solved the intermittent audio stuttering issue when using my UFX+ in USB mode!


**edit again 12 March, 2024
Nevermind, I was too optimistic too early, the stuttering still occurs after I disable the continuity camera on my iPhone, and revert back to Thunderbolt connection until another solution that works.

Re: Mac USB driver for macOS 11 & Apple Silicon hardware

Why is it impossible to install a driverkit driver without first installing an kernel driver? i reverted back to using kernel drivers because i do not want to go through the whole procedure every time i restore my mac (which seems to happen from time to time due to troubleshooting because the new macs have become so unreliable).

Re: Mac USB driver for macOS 11 & Apple Silicon hardware

johnthemiracle wrote:

Why is it impossible to install a driverkit driver without first installing an kernel driver? i reverted back to using kernel drivers because i do not want to go through the whole procedure every time i restore my mac (which seems to happen from time to time due to troubleshooting because the new macs have become so unreliable).

For some (older) USB interface models the kernel extension driver is needed to run the FUT (firmware updater). But beside that - to my knowledge - the DK driver can be installed without the kext first.

UCX - FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

Re: Mac USB driver for macOS 11 & Apple Silicon hardware

no, it can't. i mean you can run the dk installer without running the kext installer first, but then the ff802 (in my case) is not recognized. no audio.

624 (edited by waedi 2024-03-12 02:09:12)

Re: Mac USB driver for macOS 11 & Apple Silicon hardware

johnthemiracle wrote:

no, it can't. i mean you can run the dk installer without running the kext installer first, but then the ff802 (in my case) is not recognized. no audio.

Did you try run the FUT ?
Seems to be the FF802 firmware is not up to date ? Should be version 112

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Re: Mac USB driver for macOS 11 & Apple Silicon hardware

waedi wrote:
johnthemiracle wrote:

no, it can't. i mean you can run the dk installer without running the kext installer first, but then the ff802 (in my case) is not recognized. no audio.

Did you try run the FUT ?
Seems to be the FF802 firmware is not up to date ? Should be version 112

This!
The original Fireface 802 (not the FS version) is exactly one of these interfaces which need a firmware update first.
At the moment for some RME / Apple users the changing process from kext to dk can be a bit tricky. When you have an already updated interface (or for people who buy a new one), it works directly with the dk driver.
Plenty of information on the RME website:
https://rme-audio.de/driverkit-info.html
In short:
for UFX / UCX / UC / 802 and Babyface it’s
- install kext driver
- install and run FUT (for this the kext driver is needed)
- install dk (if you want)
With newer interfaces (and their firmware) this is not necessary.

UCX - FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

626

Re: Mac USB driver for macOS 11 & Apple Silicon hardware

Having cracks with fireface uc since updating on new flash update. Worked perfectly fine before. Using Sonoma. Got an old windows 7 pc and fireface uc works perfectly fine on it without cracks. Tried other usb cable, other ac adapter, and tried on an Intel Mac. Still cracks… contacted German RME support company and sent my fireface to get looked at. Turns out the flash update causes the cracks. Was told there will be in a few days a new update. Hope this helps some of you guys…

Re: Mac USB driver for macOS 11 & Apple Silicon hardware

oli77sch wrote:
waedi wrote:
johnthemiracle wrote:

no, it can't. i mean you can run the dk installer without running the kext installer first, but then the ff802 (in my case) is not recognized. no audio.

Did you try run the FUT ?
Seems to be the FF802 firmware is not up to date ? Should be version 112

This!
The original Fireface 802 (not the FS version) is exactly one of these interfaces which need a firmware update first.

my 802 has the current firmware. i cannot install the dk installer without first running the kext installer anyway. that's just the way it is. i am thinking about crossgrading to an apollo or something like that just because the drivers have become such a pain in the rear.

Re: Mac USB driver for macOS 11 & Apple Silicon hardware

i cannot install the dk installer without first running the kext installer anyway. that's just the way it is

Definitely not true. DK with a 802 runs without any problems here. After a fresh install of current sonoma. Without any kext drivers installed before.

i am thinking about crossgrading to an apollo or something like that just because the drivers have become such a pain in the rear

Have fun with iLok...
https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/articl … 4-4-Update

“Do It For Her”
My Gear: Bontempi Magic light Keyboard

Re: Mac USB driver for macOS 11 & Apple Silicon hardware

maggie33 wrote:

i cannot install the dk installer without first running the kext installer anyway. that's just the way it is

Definitely not true. DK with a 802 runs without any problems here.

what do you mean by definitely not true? i am experiencing these problems and of course it is true.

what computer are you using?

Re: Mac USB driver for macOS 11 & Apple Silicon hardware

johnthemiracle wrote:
maggie33 wrote:

i cannot install the dk installer without first running the kext installer anyway. that's just the way it is

Definitely not true. DK with a 802 runs without any problems here.

what do you mean by definitely not true? i am experiencing these problems and of course it is true.

what computer are you using?

Some posts above you write, the dk driver installation works but there is no sound with your Fireface 802.
In macOS system settings - privacy and security you have to allow the 3rd party software (the RME driver). Also you have to allow the 'microphone' for audio applications. All done?
Your description of the issue is not that precise, for this it’s a bit difficult to help.
Also exact information about your system is needed. There are differences between Mac models (Intel vs Apple Silicon), between macOS versions, there even are different versions of the Fireface 802 and their firmware…

UCX - FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

Re: Mac USB driver for macOS 11 & Apple Silicon hardware

oli77sch wrote:

Some posts above you write, the dk driver installation works but there is no sound with your Fireface 802.
In macOS system settings - privacy and security you have to allow the 3rd party software (the RME driver). Also you have to allow the 'microphone' for audio applications. All done?
Your description of the issue is not that precise, for this it’s a bit difficult to help.
Also exact information about your system is needed. There are differences between Mac models (Intel vs Apple Silicon), between macOS versions, there even are different versions of the Fireface 802 and their firmware…

the driver installation works insofar as the installer does not crash. but there is no sound from the interface after a reboot.

logic works and the microphone symbol is of course allowed. i have allowed audio access in all dialogues that come up.

system is the latest sonoma, but it did not work with any of the previous systems including ventura etc. the mac is a mac studio m1 max. the fireface 802 has the latest firmware.

Re: Mac USB driver for macOS 11 & Apple Silicon hardware

what computer are you using?

Seems the same as you. M1 Studio, Sonoma 14.4, 802 running v20 Firmware.

“Do It For Her”
My Gear: Bontempi Magic light Keyboard

Re: Mac USB driver for macOS 11 & Apple Silicon hardware

maggie33 wrote:

what computer are you using?

Seems the same as you

This is interesting an good to know. Obviously it is not a general problem, but one with my rig. I'm just out of options what else it could be. Is there a special trick how you get the dialogues for driver's access to the system? I remember that one had to click yes multiple times (three if i am not mistaken), but i think these windows did not appear the latest times I installed the dk driver.

634

Re: Mac USB driver for macOS 11 & Apple Silicon hardware

It is easier to contact our support and go with them through the installation step by step, best with video (live). At this point I don't think the forum can help you as efficiently as the support could.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: Mac USB driver for macOS 11 & Apple Silicon hardware

I use a Mac Studio with an M2 processor.
Sonoma operating system installed.
I can use my Fireface 800 soundcard very stable, but I'm having an interesting problem. I just can't get an input signal from Ableton, neither microphone nor line. There is no problem using Logic X. Does anyone have any information or suggestions?

Re: Mac USB driver for macOS 11 & Apple Silicon hardware

mohousty wrote:

I use a Mac Studio with an M2 processor.
Sonoma operating system installed.
I can use my Fireface 800 soundcard very stable, but I'm having an interesting problem. I just can't get an input signal from Ableton, neither microphone nor line. There is no problem using Logic X. Does anyone have any information or suggestions?

Has Ableton the permission to use the 'microphone' in macOS system settings - privacy and security?

UCX - FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

Re: Mac USB driver for macOS 11 & Apple Silicon hardware

matho wrote:

Having cracks with fireface uc since updating on new flash update. Worked perfectly fine before. Using Sonoma. Got an old windows 7 pc and fireface uc works perfectly fine on it without cracks. Tried other usb cable, other ac adapter, and tried on an Intel Mac. Still cracks… contacted German RME support company and sent my fireface to get looked at. Turns out the flash update causes the cracks. Was told there will be in a few days a new update. Hope this helps some of you guys…

Is there any update on this?
I am on an MacBook M2 and want to do all the proper updates (firmware + driver kit updates). is there already a consensus on what the best practice is? e.g. only update kernel driver or also update firmware?

Re: Mac USB driver for macOS 11 & Apple Silicon hardware

beta2k wrote:
matho wrote:

Having cracks with fireface uc since updating on new flash update. Worked perfectly fine before. Using Sonoma. Got an old windows 7 pc and fireface uc works perfectly fine on it without cracks. Tried other usb cable, other ac adapter, and tried on an Intel Mac. Still cracks… contacted German RME support company and sent my fireface to get looked at. Turns out the flash update causes the cracks. Was told there will be in a few days a new update. Hope this helps some of you guys…

Is there any update on this?
I am on an MacBook M2 and want to do all the proper updates (firmware + driver kit updates). is there already a consensus on what the best practice is? e.g. only update kernel driver or also update firmware?

It seems that RME changed the driver (but not changed the version). the firmware update that is now downloadable should fix the issue described by matho.

Re: Mac USB driver for macOS 11 & Apple Silicon hardware

A word of caution -

- MBP M3
- Sonoma 14.4
- RME UFX+ Hooked up via Thunderbolt
- Kernel Extension Driver (driver_tb_mac_125.zip)
- Latest Firmware

Everything has been going swimmingly with this setup, until tonight, when I was listening to a podcast in chrome on youtube and adjusting the EQ on the output in totalmix.

I wasn't doing anything crazy - No wild Q or Gain settings on any of the 3 bands - I think I was actually switching between filter types when it happened.

All of the sudden there was a high pitched SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE for about 2 seconds in my monitors, which are turned all the way up. The main output volume to my monitors totalmix was turned way, way down.

I'll tell you what. That SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE was so loud that it blasted the red clipping lights on on both monitors and almost flipped me over in my chair. I have tinnitus and severe hyperacusis so it was basically like getting a point blank shotgun to both ears.

Then it stopped and everything returned to normal. No crashes, no nothing.

Suffice it to say, Very ... Not ... Cool ... And I doubt I'll ever mess with the EQ in totalmix again just out of caution. I have very little hearing left and I'm trying to keep it what I've still got. This incident will likely cause a "setback" that could last indefinitely and run that meter down that much more sad

Anyway. Not saying this is an RME / driver / totalmix problem. Could be Sonoma being a buggy POS. I've had the UFX+ for years and it's been rock solid. Never had anything like this happen with ANY RME Interface in fact, in 20 years and with many of them, and it just so happens i switched from an intel macbook last weekend to this M3 Sonoma macbook.

Be careful out there with that Totalmix EQ under these conditions. That is all.

Re: Mac USB driver for macOS 11 & Apple Silicon hardware

rme4lyfe wrote:

A word of caution

Indeed not cool, I fully understand you! But your warning is in the wrong topic here and would probably be more effective somewhere else, either in TotalMix or USB/FireWire sections as an own post.

UCX - FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

641 (edited by ramses 2024-03-28 09:03:54)

Re: Mac USB driver for macOS 11 & Apple Silicon hardware

Sorry to hear that, the more important is a proper setup, did you already read this very useful posting?
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=25399

I have not exactly such a solution because the distance of my monitors on the desk to the wall would be too big, if I would use such attenuators. The ~5 cm between monitor and the wall just fit for the length of the XLR plug.

I am also careful with my ears. My solution consists of two components:

1. my active monitors have a volume knob to turn down the final volume of the amplifier (Geithain RL906)
The final volume is still very loud at 0dB but by far not so loud as before.

2. I am using an ADI-2 Pro FS R BE as final D/A converter. So in TotalMix the 0dB and whatever settings or incidents do not really "hurt". A computer or software can more easily have an issue compared to an independent unit like the ADI-2 Pro. Also useful in the ADI-2 Pro features like auto reflevel and dynamic loudness, which allow me not only to mix and master but also to use my PC as music player and to enjoy music at work. Dynamic loudness takes care, that the sound doesn't become too thin at very low volumes as Bass and Treble will be dynamically increased (also well tuneable regarding the amount of Bass and Treble increase over the fix 20 dB volume range).

If solution 2. is too expensive, then simply use a passive monitor controller like e.g. this one from Mackie, but there should also be others according to your taste: https://www.thomann.de/de/mackie_big_knob_passive.htm

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Re: Mac USB driver for macOS 11 & Apple Silicon hardware

I'm finding it impossible to install the DK version of the driver as when I go to do so it fails on the "Terminal" part of the process.

It says the following:

user@users-Mac-mini ~ % sudo /us/bin/kmutil rebuild
Password:
Checking the auxiliary kernel collection...
Error Domain=KMErrorDomain Code=31 "Error occurred while building a collection:
Cannot build collection without binaries as only 1 codeless kexts provided" User Info={NSLocalizedDescription Error occurred while building a collection: Cannot build collection without binaries as only 1 codeless kexts provided)

Well, it carries on with the install, but the Terminal step throws an error and nothing is installed even after the reboot.

This is with a UFC III on latest firmware (v20) and currently installed driver of v3.31.

Anyone know a workaround here?

643 (edited by sprevot 2024-05-08 22:34:22)

Re: Mac USB driver for macOS 11 & Apple Silicon hardware

I've exactly the same error message @rodrigo.constanzo
when I try to install the latest Driver Kit on my mac M1 with Sonoma 14.4.1, for my Fireface UC
So my Fireface UC isn't recognized anymore, and I can't use it.
And I don't know what's the current firmware version because it's not detected on my Mac.
I tried to update the firmware within a Windows computer but there was no confirmation message and finally it didn't enable the Driver Kit installation on Mac.
I'm a bit lost.

Re: Mac USB driver for macOS 11 & Apple Silicon hardware

When I enter the following command to get "some information about what the OS thinks about this extension":

cd /Library/Extensions/
sudo kextutil -v 2 RMEFirefaceUSB.kext

I got this result:

Can't stat RMEFirefaceUSB.kext - No such file or directory.

645

Re: Mac USB driver for macOS 11 & Apple Silicon hardware

sprevot wrote:

I've exactly the same error message @rodrigo.constanzo
when I try to install the latest Driver Kit on my mac M1 with Sonoma 14.4.1, for my Fireface UC
So my Fireface UC isn't recognized anymore, and I can't use it.
And I don't know what's the current firmware version because it's not detected on my Mac.
I tried to update the firmware within a Windows computer but there was no confirmation message and finally it didn't enable the Driver Kit installation on Mac.
I'm a bit lost.

Sounds like you did not put it back into Mac mode (AP).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: Mac USB driver for macOS 11 & Apple Silicon hardware

Thank you Matthias. But I put it back into Mac mode.
I also had the opportunity today to update the firmware on a Windows computer and, even now I'm sure I've the latest firmware, my Fireface UC isn't recognized on my Mac. Both Kernel Extension and Driver kit driver don't work, even after I've deleted files recommended on "15.2 Driver De-installation" in the manual.

647

Re: Mac USB driver for macOS 11 & Apple Silicon hardware

The UC is connected directly to the Mac without any hub ?
And the FF800 is disconnected ?

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Re: Mac USB driver for macOS 11 & Apple Silicon hardware

You're right waedi, I solved the problem by replacing the USB cable (USB B > USB A) that was connected to a Hub with another USB cable (USB B > USB C) connected directly to the Mac and it works now :-) Thank you!

649

Re: Mac USB driver for macOS 11 & Apple Silicon hardware

Glad you can work

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Re: Mac USB driver for macOS 11 & Apple Silicon hardware

I popped in here and discovered that there is now a driverkit. I am running my 802 on my mac Studio using firmware 20 and driver 2.09 without issued now. If I understand correctly updating to latest version will give me Driverkit which is less performance. Should I upgrade the firmware and keep using Kernel driver or should I just keep thing as they are? BTW, I am considering to add a Digiface USB to my setup with Aggregate Device. Will that work well? If I do expand, should I install Kernel or Driver kit for both the FF802 and Digiface?