Topic: Madiface USB + ADI6432 flickering

Hello,

today I have set up a Madiface USB + ADI 6432.
The setup has worked like a charm, the playback is without problems.
So far ok.

The Madiface USB is connected to and powered by a PC USB connection. Thus the Madiface is switched on with PC power on. Ok.
Now the ADI6432 is switched off. But from time to time all the LEDs are flickering up despite the unit is switched off by its power switch.
With disconnected power cord the flickering has gone.

Does this mean that the ADI6432 still consumes power with attached power cord but power switch off?
Is there a firmware bug?

BR
Uli

PS: Madiface and ADI6432 are connected by optical connection
PPS: the ADI6432 firmware seems to be V1.8

Re: Madiface USB + ADI6432 flickering

Incomplete description. I bet the 6432 is not just connected with optical cables and power, as it would serve no purpose then. What else is connected and how?

The power switch is a hard switch, there is zero power then. But signals like AES and word can build up internal voltages that might be enough to let LEDs react sporadically.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by uli_bru 2020-11-05 09:21:06)

Ok, incomplete smile

So here is an update.
The 6432 has no connections except the power cord.
The power button is switched off.

The result:
www.audiovero.de/ADI6432/ADI6432.mp4

I hope the information is now more complete .

Does it do the same if you invert the power plug?

Strange indeed.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

No flickering with reversed power plug.
This may be a quickndirty solution.

But I still wonder as power off should really be power off.

The inverse fix points to current flowing over ground/Schuko.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The inverse fix points to current flowing over ground/Schuko.

Yes, in my understanding this means:
The power switch does not switch the phase but the neutral wire. As the device is also connected to ground the power supply does not prevent a current flow from phase to ground through internal electronics.  That's why there is the repeated flickering.
If you are not able to verify this behaviour in your laboratory there may be a damage with the ADI6432.
If you can repeat this behaviour in the laboratory you can also detect the reason .
In any case there is something wrong in my opinion. Please corrct me if I'm wrong.

I am sure we can not repeat this effect as no one else ever mentioned it. We might also need to have the same 'Schuko' level as you to see the issue. IMHO the most promising way to reproduce it  is by checking your unit. Then we can also compare it to other 6432.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I'll contact the dealer.

We have three ADI6432 units connected in different setups. They all exhibit the same flickering as in uli_bru's video and similarly it can be fixed by reversing the power plug. Also, it makes no difference if they are connected or disconnected to some other audio gear.

The one I owned 2011 until 2022 had no flickering at all.
It was a rock solid working horse. No issue ever.
Was located in Zürich. Have we superior Electrons in Switzerland ? We use 3-pin power-connectors instead of Schuko.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue