Topic: HDSPe AIO Card Output Stops in Windows 10

My HDSPe AIO card has recently started shutting off output completely after a few minutes of running the PC game Destiny 2.

It happens every time I run the game now, and the only way I can seem to reset the card is to reboot the computer.

If I use any other audio output device the problem does not occur.

I'm using version 4.36 of the drivers. Is there any other information I can provide to help track down this issue?

Thank you for any help you can suggest.

Re: HDSPe AIO Card Output Stops in Windows 10

Hello!

Does this, also, happen with other games?

How many WDM Devices have you set up?

Have you tried increasing the buffer size?

Also, which firmware version do you use?

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

Hi!

The card has revision 14 of the firmware; that appears to be the latest available on the site.

I have two WDM devices set up: Analog 1+2 and ADAT 2.

The buffer is currently set to 1024.

I don't have a good understanding of the affect of buffer size changes, but I will try increasing it and see if that helps.

I have the same sound issue in W orld of W arcraft as well; I haven't noticed in any other games.

I have two WDM devices set up: Analog 1+2 and ADAT 2.

Can you leave just Analog 1+2 enabled and check?

I don't have a good understanding of the affect of buffer size changes, but I will try increasing it and see if that helps.

The buffer, in a simple explanation, is the amount of intervals of information the driver sends to the CPU to process. With larger buffer settings, the CPU has more time to process the info, so it performs better!
But larger buffer settings, also, increase the latency! But latency is only trivial for recordings, so it doesn't matter in your case!

You can, also, try decreasing the buffer setting and see if it helps.

Also, I forgot to ask you, what sample rate are you using?

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

5 (edited by JosephHatfield 2020-12-21 03:08:42)

So, I just made a bunch of changes all at once, so it's going to confuse things a bit, I'm sorry.

1. Increased the buffer to 4096. Audio stopped after 6 minutes.
2. Removed all other audio-related devices and drivers from the system. Audio stopped after 5 minutes.
3. Removed all prior installations of RME drivers (there were five previous version in the windows install list, most of which were missing files) and re-installed RME drivers for 4.36.

Audio worked! I played through one encounter in Destiny 2 for about 20 minutes with no sound issues. It's just one sample but things are looking better so far.

I checked the WDM configuration after that and noticed that only one device was shown. As you suggested, it was exactly the one for Analog 1+2. The sample rate is 44100Khz.

Next step is for me try re-adding the ADAT 1+2 back and see if the problem re-occurs.

Thanks for your help!

Why do you think having ADAT 1+2 enabled would cause problems?

Did the buffer size change? I would recommend to test 128 samples if your computer can keep up.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

7 (edited by JosephHatfield 2020-12-21 03:55:10)

Yes, MC, the buffer size changed from my previous setting of 4096 to 256. I'll try 128 now and see how it goes. Thanks

Update...

Lowered the buffer to 128, and played another Destiny session. This time I went for 28 minutes with no audio issues.

That's a record since this issue first appeared!

Another update...

After setting the Hammerfall DSP Input level, Output level, and Phones to -10dbV, the original problem reported has stopped happening. I've run the card with those settings now for over a month without a single adverse event.