1 (edited by Mend 2020-12-27 15:01:17)

Topic: Routing Ferrofish out channels to outboard FX through Totalmix

Hello,

Was wondering how to route to outboard FX using a Ferrofish Pulse 16 linked to my RME Fireface 802. For some reason I haven't been able to make this work.

Normally I'll just select the outgoing channels attached to my reverb/delay, and then turn up the fader of the instrument(s) I want to send to my reverb/delay.

This doesn't seem to work on the Pulse 16. I can hear incoming sounds alright. So all 16 audio in channels seem to be working. Routing stuff is where things get tricky.

In this scenario I've selected ADAT 1/2 OUT, as they're selected to my Eventide H9/Space chain. At the end of the chain they will return to ADAT 7/8 IN.

Maybe it's my limited understanding, but I was under the impression I can use Ferrofish's outputs to basically act as a bunch of extra outgoing channels for my Fireface 802.

Would appreciate if someone can help me out setting this up.

https://i.imgur.com/Pw9z4G5.jpg

Re: Routing Ferrofish out channels to outboard FX through Totalmix

Anybody?

FF802 ADAT 7/8 in = Pulse 16 Analog in 7 & 8. Do you see any meter activity on the Pulse 16 front panel for these channels?

In TotalMix FX I can see the noise floor is higher for these channels, so something is connected. But the input signal is either very, very low or only noise.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Jeff wrote:

FF802 ADAT 7/8 in = Pulse 16 Analog in 7 & 8. Do you see any meter activity on the Pulse 16 front panel for these channels?

In TotalMix FX I can see the noise floor is higher for these channels, so something is connected. But the input signal is either very, very low or only noise.

https://i.imgur.com/WK5ClAk.jpg

Here I'm routing my synth from Fireface's output 7/8 into my outboard FX. Then, back into ADAT 7/8. It DOES work like this. But the whole point of using the Ferrofish is to be able to utilize it's outgoing channels to route stuff to external devices. Not sure why it doesn't work like that.

So, in short: ADAT 7/8 IN are working. It's the ADAT OUT channels that are giving me headaches?

I think the noise-level thing is just a result from having two FX units daisychained. Will probably create a little noise.

Could you kindly post a screenshot of your driver settings ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

Could you kindly post a screenshot of your driver settings ?

Just to be sure. You mean the preferences or settings in the totalmix menu?

No the settings of the RME driver (Windows info field bottom right).
I wanted to see the ADAT settings of the driver ..

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

No the settings of the RME driver (Windows info field bottom right).
I wanted to see the ADAT settings of the driver ..

https://i.imgur.com/OwCrs9U.jpgHow's this?

ok, protocol ADAT is ok for output ADAT2.

ramses wrote:

ok, protocol ADAT is ok for output ADAT2.

Alright. Gotta be something else then.

Kind of puzzled why I can't get the ferrofish's outputs to act like regular fireface outputs.

I can get the IN channels to work. Just not the OUT channels.

Please explain what connects to the Pulse 16 outs, and what exactly is not working there.

It does work as you expected. The 16 ADAT out channels of the 802 should send audio to the 16 analog outs of the Pulse.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Maybe defective TOSLINK cables on the outputs? Can you swap the TOSLINK cables between inputs and outputs?

Is Ferrofish configured to read clock from ADAT ?

Do you need to configure routing on the Ferrofish to route inbound audio from ADAT to the analog outputs ?

Just checked it again. Turns out it wasn't anything related to the setting. I just hadn't plugged one of the cables in the right way. Should've known it was something simple smile