Topic: Best way to insert Digiface USB in my current setup

Hi,
I recently upgraded my computer to a MacBook Pro 16'' 2019 running Catalina, so my old interfaces are no more compatible.
I used a Metric Halo Uln2-2d (connected through adat to a MOTU Traveler mk1, through AES/EBU to a t.c electronic M3000 and thorough spdif to a 2 channel Mytek converter used as a master clock).
Someone suggested me to buy a RME Digiface usb as a cheap but quality option to interconnect all my system and be compatible with Catalina (and Big Sur btw) but I'm a bit concerned about the best way to hook it up connection wise to make full use of my system ins and outs so if you could help me I'd appreciate it a lot.
Thank you

2 (edited by ramses 2021-01-14 14:23:33)

Re: Best way to insert Digiface USB in my current setup

Sorry, I don't get the point.
Digiface USB = 4xADAT I/O + phones outputs.
Whats the concrete question / problem ?

A drawing would help you and others to see what setup is planned by you.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

You have 4 digital connections on the digiface, all can be either adat or spdif, but of course only optical spdif.
So just write down what you want to connect and if it has optical connection.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Thank you for helping,
I would like to connect all my gear to use the most of it (if possible): so far I think of 2 possible solutions as the main problem is that my Mytek Stereo adc 96 doesn't have any digital in but can only be clocked through word clock.

1- Mytek as master clock (adat out to digiface in), word clock out from Mytek to ULN-2 in (connected via adat in/out to digiface) and then (even if could be problematic) word clock out from ULN-2 to Motu Traveler in (connected via adat in/out to digiface).
In this scenario problem is daisy chaining word clock connections.

2- Let Digiface be master clock and so leaving the Mytek not in sync or out of the equation.

Is there something other to be considered (as both Traveler and ULN-2 have plenty of digital connections possibilities, adat, Aes/ebu, spdif)?

Is taking a RayDAT (PCIe) an option e.g. if your Apple supports thunderbolt, to get an external PCIe case ...
In this case you could get the optional WC module for the RayDAT.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

6 (edited by vinark 2021-01-14 16:28:22)

First option 2 is not needed at all. There is no reason to make a digital only device master, since it does not do any AD/DA conversion and leaving the mytec out of sync is not an option.
It is absolutely possible to use the mytek as master to all. You distribute the WC with a T-piece and proper termination. Alas I am no word clock cabling expert, but this is exactly the advantage of WC, you can daisy chain and split.
But wait if the other 2 devices have adat in you don.t need any wordclock at all. Mytec master, Digiface slave to mytec, The other 2 slave to adat ins from digiface. Thats all (folks). And optical is better then WC anyway.

Vincent, Amsterdam

vinark wrote:

First option 2 is not needed at all. There is no reason to make a digital only device master, since it does not do any AD/DA conversion and leaving the mytec out of sync is not an option.
It is absolutely possible to use the mytek as master to all. You distribute the WC with a T-piece and proper termination. Alas I am no word clock cabling expert, but this is exactly the advantage of WC, you can daisy chain and split.
But wait if the other 2 devices have adat in you don.t need any wordclock at all. Mytec master, Digiface slave to mytec, The other 2 slave to adat ins from digiface. Thats all (folks). And optical is better then WC anyway.

Thank you so much for your explanation: it seems to work now! And without word clock, for some reason I thought I needed it but I was wrong!
Great advice vinark!

achabloop5080 wrote:
vinark wrote:

Thank you so much for your explanation: it seems to work now! And without word clock, for some reason I thought I needed it but I was wrong!
Great advice vinark!

Thanks! I have a similar and at the same time completely different setup, with 3X adat connected to a hdsp9652 plus some more, so enough experience in understanding clocking, which is basicly very simple.

Vincent, Amsterdam