Topic: Can I do this with an ADI-2?

I'm relatively new to digital recording.

I record a modular analog system.  Currently I record several tracks individually to Sonar, using an Audiophile 2496, and then run them all back out together to an outboard processor (Lexicon MX400) and then back in again. 

I want to decrease the number of times my signal goes through AD DA conversion, and so I'm thinking of buying an ADI-2.  What I'd like to do is AD convert each track up front, then send everything digitally to the Lexicon via SPDIF, through the ADI-2.  Then use the Lexicon SPDIF out to send the processed signal back to my computer, making kind of a triangular signal pathway.  When my soundcard and effect unit receive digital signals, an external clock must be the master, which is why I would have to place the ADI-2 between them.  Does this seem like a reasonable setup?  Will it work?

According to the ADI-2 manual I downloaded, p. 14, there is a sort of cryptic (to me, anyway) reference to a D-D mode -- does this mean digital in to digital out?

Thanks,

Rich

Re: Can I do this with an ADI-2?

The 2496 has SPDIF I/O and can not use its internal clock then? I can't believe that. But if so, then the ADI-2 can be external master and also has an D-D mode with analog monitoring.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by richg 2008-06-28 16:19:49)

Thank you for your reply, Matthias.  That information is helpful and encouraging. 

FYI,

From the audiophile 2496 manual:

"For proper operation, the entire Audiophile 2496 system is always synchronized to a
single master clock. The master clock is chosen via the Delta Control Panel software
and this clock may be derived from either the Audiophile 2496?s internal crystal
oscillators or from S/PDIF In. Most of the time the master clock is taken from the
internal crystal oscillators. However, the S/PDIF option must be used in situations
where the Audiophile 2496 is monitoring or recording from the S/PDIF input port."

From MX-400 manual:

"As with all equipment that receives digital audio streams, when setting either Input Source A or B to Digital, the MX400 can no longer use its own internal clock source for the audio stream, and it is necessary to change the clock source from the MX400?s internal clock to Digital [external clock source]."

When hooking my equipment up, I found this to be true.  Neither device can provide a clock source for the other when I wanted a two-way audio stream between them.  Maybe this is an elementary characteristic of digital equipment (I'm not very knowledgeable), but it does seem to defeat much of the purpose of having I/O.  But when I learned of the ADI-2, I hoped I could work around this issue.

Thanks again,

Rich

Well, the Audiophile description is not fully clear and could be just for the typical consumer user, so maybe (maybe) the card can use internal clock when receiving SPDIF. But the MX-400 is very clear that it can only be slave in such operation. So if you tried that and it doesn't work - then the ADI-2 will be your external master clock.

You should download the ADI-2 manual for information about all the nice little extra features the unit provides.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME