1 (edited by IamNotaPro870 2021-02-15 12:09:05)

Topic: Rme Fireface UC vs UCX?

Looking to upgrade from my 2i4, and I managed to find both the UC and UCX second handed for a similar price, but the UCX being older and having a lot of cosmetic wear.

I've checked some comparisons. I’m on windows and won’t be needing FireWire, I do all my fx in the daw so I don’t need the FX chip, and the lack of autoset doesn’t really bother me as I’m used to manually set the gain. Rn I think for my use case I might as well just get the UC, what do you guys think?

The apollo x4 is just overpriced imo and the audient id44 is also on my list for the amount of good things I've heard recently and it's price point.

2 (edited by ramses 2021-02-15 13:13:26)

Re: Rme Fireface UC vs UCX?

You can use my Excel to compare between UC and UCX (and other USB / FW / TB interfaces): https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … B-MADIfac/

Direct link to Excel: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.ph … 0-08-xlsx/

Other differences between UCX and UC (besides FX and Autoset):
- lower converter latency [samples] and the sum of AD/DA in [ms] (at 44.1 kHz):
               UCX:  14     /  7 (0,32+0,16=0,48ms)
               UC:    43,2 / 28 (0,98+0,63=1,61ms)
- Preamp technology of Micstasy/UFX
- Class compliant mode (Linux, iPAD)
- Stand alone operation: 6 standalone profiles vs last settings

The slower converter latency is not disturbing for normal use cases like e.g. recording or direct monitoring of vocals through phones. Maybe only if you add several external devices through individual analog ports, then you have for each of the devices the RTL (including higher converter latency).

I wouldn't choose apollo or motu for several reasons.
Apollo: you pay for the money and the shark CPUs / the ability to run expensive plugins on the box, but the shark CPU power is relatively low, so depending on what you want to do, you can quickly need more CPU power and this is expensive.
By throwing in much money for such a solution (where you do not need the plugins on recording interface side you said) you pay a lot and are bound to that platform. IMHO Feature wise it doesn't come close to a RME solution with TM FX, TM Remote, DIGIcheck.
Audient .. well .. once you had RME I would have doubts that you want to leave RME with TM FX (and its quality and flexibility).
Another thing is driver stability / low latency / high reliabiliy ... All flashable via FPGA, etc ..
The RME concept of devices and its drivers / software including SteadyClock is much more advanced and carefully designed.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Re: Rme Fireface UC vs UCX?

I had the Apollo X4. Forget it. Nobody needs those Native Plugins, they are way overpriced and that "unison" technology is esoterical bogus!

I went back to RME for the 3rd time and now I will stay. It is the best, no matter which one you get.
I would get the UCX though.

Babyface Pro FS +FF 400 used as SPDIF Adat conv. and more inputs.
Waiting for the UCX FS smile