1 (edited by chj 2021-02-25 11:24:21)

Topic: Digiface/TotalMix on Mac Os BigSur: MacOs routing problem

Hi there

Two issues I have on Mac Os Big Sur, updated as of today:

1. Routing to other than ADAT1-8 is impossible.
INTRO: The following error (on this machine) only applies to software playback software that on its output is routed to default playback, which has then been set to Digiface USB. The error does not apply when using REAPER (DAW), in which case routing of audio to whatever ADAT/optical is working as it should. So, error appears ONLY when using the Mac Os output selector.

The default in MacOs AudioMidiSetup is ADAT1-8. Setting Digiface as Mac Os default output then routes any 44.1 16 stream to ADAT1/2 software playback. All is well. But, when configuring Digiface so that ADAT9-16 or Phones is set as default in the AudioMidiSetup/input and output, then the stream does not change to ADAT9/10 or Phones, it keeps coming at ADAT1/2. However, Phones receive output.

Q: How to succeed in routing to ADAT9/10 in this example case?

Note: Due to use of loopback for software DSP, it will be mandatory to do this type of routing. And coming from Windows, all this worked as it should. I am a little newbie on Mac, so these are observations. I hope to detect a setting currently unknown to me. I also mention that I use SPDIF, not ADAT.

2. When setting AudioMidiSetup/output to ADAT9-16, and then clicking ConfigureSpeakers, there one can define ADAT9-16 or any combinations. And then there is stereo vs multichannel options as well. When returning from ConfigureSpeakers and back to the main GUI of AudioMidiSetup, then the selection Stream: has been reverted to ADAT1-8. The other way around, i.e. when once again entering ConfigureSpeakers, this also causes the selection there to be reverted to ADAT1-8 (ADAT9-16 was defined).

Q: Is there a way to make my selection ADAT9-16 persistent?
Q: What is the purpose of having two ways of selecting the ADAT optical connector?

EDIT, ad 2: The reason behind the non-persistent selection of e.g. ADAT9-16, could be that I in Fireface Settings had defined SPDIF only for optical port1, and thus RME software reverts to whatever is available. But this is not the case when I set SPDIF ONLY on optical port 3, in which case it still reverts to the (now unavailable?) ADAT1-8. But when I enable SPDIF on all ports, my selection in AudioMidiSetup, e.g. ADAT9-16, apparanly becomes persistent when moving into ConfigureSpeakers and back. These are non-complete observations, I just mention it.

Re: Digiface/TotalMix on Mac Os BigSur: MacOs routing problem

In my computer I don't choose any output channel in the OS audio setup.
I only choose the interface.
All further routing is in Totalmix.
Digiface USB on the Macbook Air M1 BigSur works perfectly fine.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

@waedi, thanks, but what do you do if you want to use loopback from one of the HW outputs so as to send that output into some DSP software? You will then get both the original signal and the loopback on the HW output, simply because ALL streams are sent to ADAT 1/2, regardless. Do you use loopback? Do you get it to work without creating a "double" loop? Beyond that, if your aim is routing and mixing of various streams, then yes, everything is well. Agree.

ALL streams are sent to ADAT 1/2...
What are these streams ?
Do you mean Adat 1/2 output channel or playback channel 1/2 ?
Yes, I use Loopback all the time for watching an output mix in Digicheck.
...routing and mixing of various streams, then yes, everything is well...
Great ! Then there is no more problem ?
Mixing of only 1 stream makes no sense as there is nothing to mix.
A stream is for me a stereosignal coming from a source going to a destination where I send it to.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue