Topic: Connecting ADI-2 Pro FS R to external interface

Hello,

I have not been an RME user for several years. The last product I had was the PCI expansion card HDSP 9632 about a decade ago. I am looking to get back into RME after using cheap Focusrite products as my audio interface for the past few years.

My current setup has microphones running through channel strips or preamps on my analog mixer, then on to my Focusrite 2i2 for AD conversion to my PC via USB. I get external DA conversion through a Benchmark DAC1.

I am looking to get an external audio interface like the UFX+. I prefer external interfaces over internal add in cards and the UFX+ is perfect because it gives me the ins and outs I need (more than I need honestly) at my workstation and gives me a MADI connection for adding a separate mic preamp down the hall for a second podcast recording room that will be in the future. I also love totalmix and have missed it. Much easier to manipulate than my analog mixer.

I would like to have some higher quality conversion in this system for driving my Yamaha HS8's at my workstation and potentially pipping in my analog mixer. As I said I currently have a Benchmark DAC1 doing the DA and providing signal to my studio monitors.

My question is: will I get higher quality conversion if I run an external DA or AD/DA like the ADI-2 PRO FS R through the UFX+ or similar interface?

The UFX+ does 24 bit 192khz conversion so it seems to me attaching an external converter to it via the digital ins/outs would be a waste. I.E. the 32 bit 768khz conversion would be worthless going through a 24 bit 192khz connection to the PC. Also considering doing all the AD conversion on the interface and upgrading to a Benchmark DAC3 for better DA instead of the ADI-2, in either case my question stands. Is it possible to get a full 32/768 signal passed through the UFX+ to an external converter? If not, are the converters in the ADI-2 really that much better than the UFX+?

Finally, I understand that I could connect the ADI-2 Pro FS R via USB and just have it dedicated to output but I was really hoping to be able to run everything on my PC through total mix. I don't want to deal with changing outputs in windows.

Any input is appreciated. Thank you

2 (edited by ramses 2021-02-27 07:33:54)

Re: Connecting ADI-2 Pro FS R to external interface

Don't worry about whether the converters of a UFX+ are good enough for you. I was amazed by the quality of a combination of the former flagship interface UFX in combination with Geithain RL906 monitors.

Now the UFX+ has even an overhauled analog section. Also the phones outputs are very nice.
If you can afford, then ofc the combination of UFX+ and ADI-2 Pro FS R BE is nice, but you can do this at any time later.

The UFX+ is an extremely nice interface. You can't do anything wrong with it.

Please allow me one comment. Your monitors are in the €250 price range. Before worrying about D/A conversion quality of recording interfaces / converters I would 1st get better monitors so that there is a certain "balance" in your setup.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

Please allow me one comment. Your monitors are in the €250 price range. Before worrying about D/A conversion quality of recording interfaces / converters I would 1st get better monitors so that there is a certain "balance" in your setup.

Thank you for your response. I am also on the lookout for some new monitors but having trouble deciding on what to get. How do you like those RL906's?

The potential for adding an external converter in the future is exactly what I'm interested in and why I posted here.

My question still stands however: is it possible to pass a 32/768 signal from one of the external converters through the UFX+ or will it be bottlenecked by the interface down to 24/192 and only transmit a 24/192 signal to the PC?

I realize this may be splitting hairs and the "need" for this bitrate is questionable but I'm just thinking in terms of long term utility for this device. I've gotten by a long time with cheap digital interfaces and higher end analog stuff but trying to transition everything I can to be done digitally.

4 (edited by ramses 2021-02-27 08:26:18)

The RL906 are outstanding in the near field.
https://www.me-geithain.de/en/rl-906.html
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/geithain-rl906

The potis in the back are very useful, when trimmed down completely then its still loud but not too loud even for 0dB.
Before buying you should contact Geithain to get some demo pieces for different sorts of wood. There are besides black some very nice wood options.

When ordering you can decide whether to get the monitors with or without mounting holes for their stands (which are very heavy and also very expensive). I ordered without.

Getting the digital version (906D) is not required and only raises the price. Better use  D/A converters like from UFX+ or ADI-2 Pro FS R BE. It brings no better sound. With external D/A converters you are more flexible. And you do not need AES and AES cabling and splitter (Splitter alone is in the range €350). I bought it to be able to connect to RayDAT via AES digitally, if the UFX+ should be away for mobile use.

> The potential for adding an external converter in the future is exactly what I'm interested in and why I posted here.

Thats what I am doing as well without loosing all the possibilities of TM FX, see my blog:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … our-Setup/
My usual applications:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … Rec-EN-DE/

> My question still stands however: is it possible to pass a 32/768 signal from one of the external converters
> through the UFX+ or will it be bottlenecked by the interface down to 24/192 and only transmit a 24/192 signal to the PC?

Yes but tbh .. I am still recording at 44.1 and I personally see no demand for higher than double speed (88.2/96).
DSD quality is IMHO questionable anyway. Has this all been recorded in DSD quality from source to the final product ?
In many cases not as we could hear already on forum.

The quality that I have now is big enough. Visit a really very well sorted HiFi Studio and see/recognize
whats all possible with normal 44.1 kHz 16 Bit CD quality. If this High-End sound does not impress you ..

With DSD you get so many other problems on top when recording / producing.
For me its a nice to have but tbh, I tried it and was not impressed. Not to talk about file sizes .. its a mess.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Jaded_Cucumber wrote:

I am also on the lookout for some new monitors but having trouble deciding on what to get.

Just $0,02 on monitors: I run several pairs of Neumann KH80 DSP and love them. Extraordinary frequency range for their small size, very affordable, and recently got the bonus of a matching digital calibration system (Neumann MA1), of which first reviews sound very promising.

MADIface(s) Pro, UFX+, MADI Router
Mac mini Intel, iPad Air 2020
ProTools, Hindenburg

Sound is one thing .. stage .. "3D representation" another.

7 (edited by KaiS 2021-02-27 11:25:21)

Jaded_Cucumber wrote:

is it possible to pass a 32/768 signal from one of the external converters through the UFX+ or will it be bottlenecked by the interface down to 24/192 and only transmit a 24/192 signal to the PC?

I realize this may be splitting hairs and the "need" for this bitrate is questionable but I'm just thinking in terms of long term utility ...

It’s funny to name 24/192 a “bottleneck”, as it’s already far beyond what’s necessary for perfect audio.

32bit doesn’t make any sense at all, as every ADC is limited to 24 bit. Why fill this up with 8 extra zeros?

Files need to have manageable sizes once you go multitrack, or the resulting limitations tie your hands and lead to suboptimal result.

For monitoring I suggest a coax system, it’s perfect phase stability makes a big difference, specially in the nearfield:
Genelec 83x1 series, Geithain, even Tannoy 6” + 2x Sub.

8 (edited by ramses 2021-02-27 11:27:12)

Yes this coax design was one of the reasons to choose the RL906. I compared with many other products.