1 (edited by dgstr 2021-02-27 10:35:42)

Topic: Raydat Windows crackles

I posted this already but no answer... Hope I'm in the right place.

So my Raydat Spdif (earlier it was adat, same problem) goes out to the converter, then to the speakers. Whenever I have windows sounds (youtube etc.) running, there are random clicks and cracks, like with a bad vinyl. The only way to stop it is to start my DAW in parallel.

DAW audio is alright (almost; there's a noticable click whenever I put a fader close to min. now i notice my spdif fader also clicks when I put it to max, then again when it crosses 0db).

That's ok, but I'm wondering what the real reason is.

Any idea anyone?

(ps I have a asus prime b350 mainboard, ryzen 5 1600x cpu, nvidia palit kalmx, ram not really optimized, all other gear switched off (almost no usb devices running)

Re: Raydat Windows crackles

Hello!

Firstly. a few questions!
Versions of driver and firmware?(numbers please)
What other devices do you have connected to the Raydat? Are they properly synced?
Number of WDM Devices?

Also, what happens if you increase the buffer? Does this, still, happem?

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

Hi, thanks for posting...

My driver verion is 4.36
Firmware 204 (24017339)

I have a couple of converters hooked up... These days I have 4 Swissonic AD/24 and 2 DA/24, plus one Soekris dac2541 stereo converter that goes out to the speakers. But right now as I'm writing I'm just listening to youtube, everything except the PC and the soekris dac is switched off. Clicks and Crackles all the time.

Sync today is set to internal (normally to Adat2, same result).

Buffer was increased to 256 samples, same result.

WDM devices is only 1 (tried Spdif and Adat 1/2)

Normally I would start FL Studio in the background, then the clicks and crackles go away. But still I will get some different clicks which result from the USB somehow (all power management switched off there). It happens every time I connect or disconnect a device (sort of a 3-click-sequence that lasts a couple of seconds, but deeper and harder clicks), but also when I just use windows sound it happens occasionally. If I'm quick enough and switch to FL Studio, I can see the mouse becoming a clock, indicating some device change. I think this all goes away only when I have FL Studio up and running and the focus is on it.

Thanks again for trying...

What speakers do you have ?
The Soekris has a headphone socket at the front. Can you listen the music on headphones there for a test ? crackeling ?

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

5 (edited by MetalHeadKeys 2021-03-02 20:59:53)

dgstr wrote:

Hi, thanks for posting...

My driver verion is 4.36
Firmware 204 (24017339)

I have a couple of converters hooked up... These days I have 4 Swissonic AD/24 and 2 DA/24, plus one Soekris dac2541 stereo converter that goes out to the speakers. But right now as I'm writing I'm just listening to youtube, everything except the PC and the soekris dac is switched off. Clicks and Crackles all the time.

Sync today is set to internal (normally to Adat2, same result).

Buffer was increased to 256 samples, same result.

WDM devices is only 1 (tried Spdif and Adat 1/2)

Normally I would start FL Studio in the background, then the clicks and crackles go away. But still I will get some different clicks which result from the USB somehow (all power management switched off there). It happens every time I connect or disconnect a device (sort of a 3-click-sequence that lasts a couple of seconds, but deeper and harder clicks), but also when I just use windows sound it happens occasionally. If I'm quick enough and switch to FL Studio, I can see the mouse becoming a clock, indicating some device change. I think this all goes away only when I have FL Studio up and running and the focus is on it.

Thanks again for trying...

You 're welcome!
The crackles you are experiencing are a combination of poor clocking and sample rate mismatch.

To ensure smooth operation in a purely digital setup, you need to understand the basics:
All devices must operate under the same Clock, one device being the Master and all the others set as Slaves.
This can be set in either cascaded(series) fashion, first device being Master clock -> every next device connected to each other, being slave
                             or parallel fashion, first device being Master clock with multiple Outputs to every other device(set as slaves).

With optical connections, the clock is passed through the connection, so the devices can be clocked properly.
Every device receives the clock signal from its Input, and there can, only, be one Master clock!

So, in your setup:
The Swissonic ADs do not have an Optical Input, so they cannot be set as Slaves to the Raydat.
The remaining option is to set the Raydat as Slave, but even then, you can have only one Master, but you have 4 ADs!
These do not have the same clock! Each one generates its own clock and they are not properly synced!!
This leads us to the fact that you cannot have all 4 of them connected at the same time. You can use only one! And with the Raydat set as Slave!

Now, for the Swissonic DAs:
These will work ok, as long as you use a sample rate of 192KHz, as it's the only sample rate that they support!

For the Soekris DAC, it will work anyway, because it has a Sample rate converter built inside, so it will automatically read the incoming clock and will convert it accordingly!

So, to sum things up:
The only way you can use your equipment is to connect 1 Swissonic AD, 2 Swissonic DAs, the Soekris DAC and set the Raydat's Source to the Optical Input where the Swissonic AD will be connected to!
Also, make sure to use 192KHz in all your Windows applications!! (Also, set Windows Sample Rate to 192KHz)

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632