Topic: Need recommendations for Audiointerface Update

Hey guys,

I wanted to update my Audio Interface and after the great experience I had with my actual RME PCIe AIO I am pretty sure it will be a RME Interface again.

So, I have the RME AIO and what I love about it is the performance as I am mostly handling big Sample-Library based stuff. But I have to record regularly some instruments in my writting room and I want some more inputs and outputs so I can have two pairs of monitors, several headphones and especially more mic pre amp and line inputs.

I thought about getting just an DA 8mic pre amp and connect it via ADAT, but as I have got the AIO for a long time, maybe I should update the interface and get an "all in the box" solution from RME.

What would you guys recommend me. Has anyone switched from PCIe to USB / Firewire and what were your experiences?

Thanks for all your suggestions and help,
Jan

Re: Need recommendations for Audiointerface Update

Whats your budget ?

How many is some more inputs and outputs and pls, of what type ? How many
- Mic inputs
- Instr inputs
- Analog inputs (balanced / unbalanced)
- Analog outputs (balanced / unbalanced)
- MIDI ?
- ADAT / SPDIF ?

Would an UC or UCX be enough ?
Or better UFX II or UFX+ with USB3/TB and MADI ?

Pls see this thread with lots of references: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 58#p166758

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks for the answer, ramses.

Sorry I was a bit unspecific (i did it on purpose but it might not be helpful).

Budget: I am not set on a budget. I don't want to spend money on stuff I don't need. I care most about performance. That said, I should admit that I am using a PC so Thunderbolt is a bit out for me.

Inputs: I actually have just two line inputs with the AIO, so at least 2 Mic inputs and two additional line inputs would be nice. Additional Inputs would not hurt, and definetly give some more room to experiment.

Outputs: Four analogue outputs for the two pairs of monitors and two additional headphone outputs.

The UC would work (even though I would need an additional headphone amp) but the powerswitch on the back is a bummer.

I saw your link already, pretty awesome collection of data. I still would like to know experiences from people that switched from PCIe (internal audiointerface) to USB/Firewire (external Interface) and if and when how it the switch affecte them.

I can only tell with an UFX+ you can do everything, its the best interface ever, period.
DURec is extremely useful, this way I can even use it as tape deck and import the multichannel wave file to Cubase etc ...
How can you make the good even better ?
Connect an ADI-2 Pro FS R BE additionally to the UFX+ or to any other RME interface.
By this you get all of the unique features of the ADI-2 Pro FS.
There is no noticable difference between PCIe/USB with RME anymore, the driver are simply phantastic.
But if you decide between UFX II and UFX+ I am still tempted to say, get the UFX+ because then you have two options:
USB and Thunderbolt.
And with USB you have even the option to use USB3 for the whole number of channels or when using USB2 you can use it simply as 30ch in/out interface (like the UFX II) without MADI.
And at any point later add an ADI-2 Pro FS R BE to get very nice headphone amp features, dynamic loudness, etc etc

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13