Topic: Any chance that we'll be able to use OBS on Mac without RA Loopback?

It would be amazing if TotalMix would allow us to send a single stereo Loopback to OBS that OBS can recognize, much like Rogue Amoeba Loopback can. It is quite a costly extra solution and it just feels weird that even though we have the most powerful routing & loopback software in the world at our disposal already with TotalMix, we still need to rely on such a third party solution to make even a basic livestream setup work. Are there any plans, thoughts or discussions in that direction currently?

Re: Any chance that we'll be able to use OBS on Mac without RA Loopback?

First time I hear of RA-loopback.
All these softwares receive channels 1/2 Input, did you choose the interface in the audio preferences in obs ?

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

3 (edited by Gregsen 2021-03-11 09:05:00)

Hi waedi, thanks for your reply! Unfortunately, OBS cannot detect virtual inputs 1/2 of RME interfaces, this is a well known issue. Even RME advises their users to use third party solutions like BlackHole+LadioCast (LadioCast is super sketchy) or Rogue Amoeba Loopback for OBS. Example from their UK distributor Syntax: https://youtu.be/MNfYHF1q8Rc

Neither "solutions" have been working reliable for me, there's a lot of drift going on causing the audio to go out of sync. It would be great to not require any of these extra apps.

You don't mention which interface you have but is of course always possible if you have spare in and outputs to make a real loopback with cables. Depending if OBS can receive audio on any input or only the first 2 (analog ins) you can create a mix on any output you have and do a loopback to the input OBS is listening too.
If this is not clear, answer with what interface you have.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

vinark wrote:

You don't mention which interface you have but is of course always possible if you have spare in and outputs to make a real loopback with cables. Depending if OBS can receive audio on any input or only the first 2 (analog ins) you can create a mix on any output you have and do a loopback to the input OBS is listening too.

Hi Vinark, thanks but I wasn't looking for troubleshooting suggestions. My question was rather if TotalMix shouldn't be capable of doing this natively, given how powerful it is in every other area.

Gregsen wrote:
vinark wrote:

Hi Vinark, thanks but I wasn't looking for troubleshooting suggestions. My question was rather if TotalMix shouldn't be capable of doing this natively, given how powerful it is in every other area.

IMHO better ask OBS creators...Still only trying to be helpful.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

I'm getting native input from my s/pdif on BF via optical wink

8 (edited by Gregsen 2021-03-11 13:47:25)

torbenscharling wrote:

Could you clarify? OBS only responds to inputs 1/2 on MacOS, so a hard-wired SPDIF Loopback won't do anything. I'd like to state that I do have well functioning workarounds for my configuration - but how difficult could it be for RME to trick the Audio-Midi-Setup? I guess I'm intending this post more as a feature request.

9 (edited by torbenscharling 2021-03-11 17:32:54)

Gregsen wrote:
torbenscharling wrote:

Could you clarify? OBS only responds to inputs 1/2 on MacOS, so a hard-wired SPDIF Loopback won't do anything. I'd like to state that I do have well functioning workarounds for my configuration - but how difficult could it be for RME to trick the Audio-Midi-Setup? I guess I'm intending this post more as a feature request.

Ya I get that, but I think it's a feature you will not get, same as with having say a different buffer size on different apps - not gonna happen..locked and fixed to one buffer size.. these things get locked down. From my understanding this is the same reasoning why you don't get to have loopback like that. I would love for it to happen also, what I wrote before was trying to describe my current workaround ie that I am running a optical cable from my RayDat into my mac, so it receives it. The BabyFace is hooked up to that mac too, so it'd be nice if it could do loopback directly into it, but ya, don't think it'll happen though I fully back your wishes as a fellow consumer/customer/producer. What I'm doing is not a loopback persay, but more like a physical way of dealing with the problem - so far it runs great and sounds great, probably because it's already been encoded on the RME side.. On the PC side there's the ASIO plugin for OBS, which runs nice too...But ya anyway, it will most likely not be implemented (otherwise they would have definitely already done so). That's my two non-affiliated cents. There are multiple ways of doing virtual mapping with third party software on the Mac side.

https://youtu.be/XsIPWpfWi4Q

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue