1 (edited by hselters 2021-03-12 17:11:10)

Topic: Trying to sync an Octa Mic II

Hi,

I was trying to synchronise an OctaMic II to our UFX II by connecting the UFX II's Wordclock Out to the Octa Mic's Wordclock In. I followed all procedures as described in the Manual and set the little jumpers on the OctaMic accordingly to follow the Clock.

The corresponding ADAT LED is always blinking, the Input Status in the Fireface USB Settings is jumping between Sync and Lock and the OctaMic is not following Sample Rate changes done on the UFX II. All other connected ADAT devices receive their clock via ADAT, they are always synchronising fine.
We tried all jumper settings, with and without wordclock termination. Any hints?

The only way it stays in sync is when I set the Clockmode of the UFX II to ADAT 1 which makes the OctaMic the Clock Source. This also works when the OctaMic's jumpers are switched to "EXT". Is maybe the jumper broken or is it expected behaviour that the OctaMic II is still emitting a Clock Signal via ADAT when set on "EXT"?

Having the OctaMic II as the Clock Source is inconvenient when it comes to changing the Sample Rate (need to to this with a little screwdriver at the back of the OctaMic...). This is why I would like the UFX II to be the Main Device.

In case it matters, here are all the ADAT connection on the UFX II:
ADAT IN 1: OctaMic II
ADAT OUT 1: Fireface 800 in standalone mode
ADAT IN 2: Fireface 800 in standalone mode
ADAT OUT 2: Behringer ADA 8000

2 (edited by vinark 2021-03-12 17:50:13)

Re: Trying to sync an Octa Mic II

Tried a different wordclock cable? Sure you used the WC out connector on UFX (been there done that only with spdif, does not work with the wrong socket lol)? Did you try swapping adat 1 and 2 on the ufx, to troubleshoot if it is really the octamic causing this (probably yes cause it is working as a master)?

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

You could try AES, therefor you need a breakout cable D-sub to XLR.

...or is it expected behaviour that the OctaMic II is still emitting a Clock Signal via ADAT when set on "EXT"?
yes because the adat signal itself is always useful for syncing clocks to it.
No extra clock is emitted to it.
But that is not the issue.
Your Octamic does not recognize the wordclock.
The wordclock signal is bad or the receiver is out of order.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Thanks, I will try it with a different wordclock cable and via AES. AES is used for a physical loopback though, so it’s not really free, but if it works for clocking and wordclock doesn’t, maybe I can split the aes signal? Does anyone know if this would work with some simple splitter cable?

Hmmm !
Good idea and good question.
I don't know.
But from feeling I tend to say yes it works.
Y-XLR-cable and you get an extra clock.
I would test it, the Y-cable can send back when not working.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

This might not be a proper solution as it changes the impedance of the 110 ohm cable to around 55 ohm.

Its best to use an AES splitter like this one:
https://www.thomann.de/de/mutec_mc_11_a … verter.htm

I used this splitter successfully in the past with Gaithein RL906D and RayDAT.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

7 (edited by hselters 2021-03-14 02:11:30)

True, the impedance will change with a splitter, but so far we have been using a regular XLR microphone cable for the AES loopback and it just works fine regardless the lower impedance. Might just give it a try with a y-cable splitter.

See also this thread: https://www.gearspace.com/board/geekzon … itter.html

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13