Topic: Babyface Pro FS - connecting to FOH consoles

Hi,
I'm a performing keyboard player (well, hopefully when COVID is gone smile ), I perform with a MIDI keyboard connected to a MacBook Pro. I'm considering a Babyface Pro FS and I'm worried about output levels and the XLR outputs.

The thing is that in most venues, keyboards connect to the FOH console using a DI box to lower the level from line (+4dBu) to mic level. These DI boxes usually have a TS jack rather than an XLR jack. If I use the FS on stage, I will either have to connect it directly to the FOH console (using the XLR jacks) or use XLR-to-TS cables to connect to the DI boxes. These cables are non-standard and I will have to carry spares around, which seems like a headache.

Is anyone using this type of setup and connecting directly to an FOH console? Does anyone have other relevant insights?

Thanks
Shai

Re: Babyface Pro FS - connecting to FOH consoles

Sending a stereo line level output from the BFPro to FOH will not be a problem. All modern consoles are capable of accepting line level signals.

Let the FOH engineer know what you are sending and they can adapt or pad as required.

3 (edited by waedi 2021-03-12 21:51:56)

These DI boxes have been used in the old days when keyboards was analog synthesizers and they produced horribly noise, humm, buzz in all variations, and the DI-box is for overcoming the noise, the lowering of the signal is more a side effect.

The XLR outputs from the Babyface to the FOH mixer, that is the way to connect.
And if you have some spare cables 2 XLR and 2 XLR-TRS good quality Cordial cables (my favorite cable brand)then you are top of professional and the mixer guy will be very happy for having you. Get your cables back quickly after the show is even more helpful.

Best wishes to all of us for getting rid of all diseases and illnesses. The stage wants you to play !
Damn ! How do I miss visiting the small Jazz-gigs in little clubs.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Thanks for the responses.
What about ground noises? a DI box has a ground lift button. How would the FOH engineer deal with ground noises if there's no DI box?

The XLR outs of the BF are balanced, and by design much more immune to ground and signal to noise issues. So, unless the venue wiring is faulty, there is little chance of ground issues. Any competent FOH engineer will be able to overcome ground problems on their end, should they occur.