1 (edited by all 2021-03-16 14:02:07)

Topic: lost in durec / driver / tmfx / UFX

hi, i had no prb with my ufx for 10 years (except the "classic" ram problem, that rme via audio technica fixed 2 years ago in their repair shop), editing and mixing films, making music. i love the unit. i thought i knew it like my pocket. but it seems i don't.

then i decided to do some DUREC recording (that is something i did not do for years, almost forgot about it). so i plug my usb stick that i've used back in the days, without any problems then. but it does not work anymore : yes it is recording channels, but all theses are empty ! i reformated with disk utility, "ms dos", but still no sound in the tracks. and no error in the ufx panel, i spend 3 hours on it, i'm going crazy. any ideas ?? maybe it is a very obvious or simple thing i forgot ???

then i checked the RME software on the rme website, and discovered that maybe, in my macos 10.9.5, i should'nt use tmfx 160 but 150 tmfx ??? i'm a bit lost in the driver / tmfx / mac compatibility :

my set up :
old days rme forum's recommanded usb 3 extreme sandisk 64 usb stick
mac 10.9.5
ufx sw 163
TMFX 160
usb firm 360 dr 222

so :

1/ is it ok to work with such a set up ? (well i did some serious post prod work with it, so i know it is working, but maybe it can cause problem with durec ??? or anything else ??? ...)

2/ what is going on with a 0 error / 11 channel durec recording, but no sounds within the tracks ?

b

Re: lost in durec / driver / tmfx / UFX

Which channels did you arm for DURec recording in TM FX?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

hi mc.

well, some analog ins, 5 lines and 4 mics + the main out.

4 (edited by all 2021-03-17 11:11:59)

i tried with some other usb sticks, no error, no sound in the tracks.
also tried in standalone, with no usb connection with the computer, same results.
tried to reformat the stick with other software, same results.
maybe the front usb is dead ??? but the device can see the stick, so i doubt of it.
i tried also with totalmix 150, same results.
did i try evrything ???

5 (edited by all 2021-03-17 11:23:23)

ok, let's describe my way of doing it, maybe i forgot something so obvious.

i put the stick, ufx says initializing, wait for a moment, like 30 sec (64 go) and then says O channel selected, then i click record view, then click the red points (channel arming) in tmfx, then ufx says the number of channel accordingly. then i press record, on ufx or tmfx. then ufx says usb 13% or so, 0 error, rec is blinking. then stop. then unplug the stick, open in mac, there are corresponding channels, but empty tracks....

6 (edited by all 2021-03-17 12:22:25)

for the sake of the question, i did a test recording again, for 1 minute (+/- 1 sec) : O error / no sound

11 channels @ 48KHZ (24bit)  = 98,3 mo

any software would show NO sounds (from protoolsHD to audacity), but my primary editor is twisted wave which is, btw, the best editor in the market imho...

We did not see this here before, but maybe your unit is old and needs repair. Check the error display in Hardware & Diagnosis and which numbers you see there. Also is Reverb/Echo working?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

8 (edited by all 2021-03-17 13:37:41)

hummm.... broken ? again ? i've send it in the rme repair shop, like 3 years ago, or...

(2018 https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 16#p130616 )

anyway, No fx no reverb and so

hardware and diagnosis ; i don't really know how to do it ; what i can say, is that, if i go NOW (no usb stick) to (in ufx) option /hardware  diagnostic and i scroll to "test results" i can scroll left to right and see :

212787 / FFFF / FFFF / 18 / 0 / msd

i re try recording, and still same results.
i switch the unit off and on, and the "msd" became 188
i re put the stick on and the 188 reseted itself to "msd"...

Yes, clearly broken. This is a RAM and DSP aging effect. Formerly you might have got a new power supply? This is a different issue now. It can be repaired, though.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

10 (edited by all 2021-03-17 13:55:49)

oh no.....bummer

i don't remember what exactly was repaired... it was 264 E, as i wrote it down in my 2018 topic....
could u please tell what to do ? i have to contact audiotechnica france, as in 2018 ? (i m in paris) would you be kind enough to tell how much money it will cost (more or less) ?

apart from the durec thing, what this "ram dsp aging effect" can do in my workflow ?
will it harm my incoming / outcoming sound ?

It mainly affects Reverb/Echo and DURec as these use the RAM extensively. If the DSP would fail then you couldn't even use the EQs and Dynamics, but usually that still works. AT France sure can give you estimated costs, but I have no clue how much that will be, sorry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

okayyyyy, thanks MC for all theses very fast answers, i appreciate. at least i'm NOT crazy nor dumb, that is something good to know LOL

pour les french users : à noter que ce n'est plus audio technica qui s'occupe de rme mais désormais FREEVOX dans le 77.

https://www.freevox.fr

Damn - Covid made me forget about this change in distribution. Sorry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

for french users : ils m'ont répondu "Le coût va être d’environ 310.00€ TTC (frais d’aller/retour RME en Allemagne + forfait de réparation RME)."