Topic: Termination problems - UFX+

I've been using an Octamic II and an Audient ASP880 with my UFX+ for quite a while, probably over a year.

I've had no problems with sync until a few days ago, when I noticed that the Octamic II was no longer synced. I unplugged and re-plugged some cables, and then everything was working fine. Except the problem came back a few days later, this time with the Audient not being synced. Again, I juggled some cables, the ADAT 1 and 2 lights on the UFX+ came on, and all seemed well. Then, today, the Audient was unsynced again.

I did the unplugging and re-plugging thing again, but now neither the Octamic II nor the Audient will sync. I've tried different light pipe cables, different BNC cables, and different T-splitters. I've tried putting the splitter on the Octamic and terminating the Audient, and I've tried putting the splitter on the Audient and terminating the Octamic. I've tried connecting only the Octamic (terminated) and only the Audient (terminated) to the UFX+ word clock output. No ADAT lights on the UFX+, and no sound from the inputs of either the Octamic or Audient.

The flashing light on the back of Octamic (beside the ADAT output) goes off when the BNC is connected. The green light on the front of the Audient goes off when the BNC is connected. But no lights for ADAT on the UFX+ and no sound from either device.

I dug out an old Behringer ADAT that I don't use any more and hooked it up. It reports "locked" on its front panel, but the UFX+ ADAT light doesn't come on, no sound comes through (like the others, no response in TotalMix), and like with the others the Settings app shows sync only with MADI.

The UFX+ seems to be working fine otherwise. It plays, and the analog inputs work fine. I also have a 12mic connected via MADI, and that works fine.

Please help! I now have sixteen inputs that don't work. I've pored over the manuals for all three devices without finding anything to solve the problem. I fear it's a problem with the UFX+.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Termination problems - UFX+

I reflashed the UFX+ firmware. Not surprisingly, no change.

Did you try to connect the Octamic to the 12mic with adat ?

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:

Did you try to connect the Octamic to the 12mic with adat ?

Thanks for the reply.

I don't see any ADAT inputs on the 12mic. There are three outputs. I'll double check in the manual.

Yes thats right, but can take one of these outputs to connect to the Octamic input just for providing clock for sync.

No, it appears the only digital inputs on the 12mic are MADI, which doesn't help me with either of these ADATs.

I tried connecting the 12mic word clock output to the Octamic with a splitter, the other cable going to the UFX+ word clock input, then setting the 12mic to clock source and terminating the UFX+. Nothing synced.

waedi wrote:

Yes thats right, but can take one of these outputs to connect to the Octamic input just for providing clock for sync.

I see. I'll try that. It could be a workaround. I would rather have the UFX+ work like it's supposed to. Thanks.

I mean you connect the Octamic to the 12mic for receiving sync and connect then the adat output of the Octamic to the UFX.
No splitter adapter and no wordclock at all.
The UFX is the master and the others sync to.

Well this is very weird.

I connected one of 12mic's ADAT outs to the AUX lightpipe input on the Octamic. The Octamic synced. But then I noticed that the BNC cable from the UFX+ word out was still connected to the Octamic word in.

For some reason, I tried to hook it up again without the 12mic. And it synced.

With the Octamic terminated, I put the splitter on the Audient and ran one cable to the Octamic word in and the other to the UFX+ word out.

It took awhile for the second ADAT light on the UFX+ to turn on, but it did. Now everything is synced again.

I'm not too happy with the outcome, since I don't know what was wrong. If it doesn't continue to work right, I'll be back here.

Did you checked the dipswitches on the back of the Octamic ?
Is the second switch down for external clock sync ?
Kids in the house ? A kid may think those tiny switches are made for children...?
You can make the same test with the Audient unit, connect to the 12mic for sync check.

You also can try to make the Octamic master by setting the dipswitch up for internal clock and sync all the others.

waedi wrote:

Did you checked the dipswitches on the back of the Octamic ?
Is the second switch down for external clock sync ?
Kids in the house ? A kid may think those tiny switches are made for children...?
You can make the same test with the Audient unit, connect to the 12mic for sync check.

You also can try to make the Octamic master by setting the dipswitch up for internal clock and sync all the others.

Yes, the dip switches seem fine. Many thanks for your suggestions. I'll give them a try if I have more problems.