Topic: Babyface Pro FS custom setup without running TotalMix every time

I'm new to the Babyface Pro FS, but I haven't been able to find an answer to this. There is a default setup that it starts with when turned on. Is there any way to change what that is? It seems that TotalMix remembers my last state and immediately sets that up when I run it, but that means I have to run TotalMix every time I turn on the interface. I've tried using snapshots, but those don't seem to get saved to the device.

Is there really no way to have it start up with a different setup?

2 (edited by waedi 2021-03-19 21:39:24)

Re: Babyface Pro FS custom setup without running TotalMix every time

... It seems that TotalMix remembers my last state and immediately sets that up when I run it...

Is this not already the solution for your problem ?
You make your configurations and routings once and next time it is there, ready to use.
...I've tried using snapshots, but those don't seem to get saved to the device.
I remember from another thread that the Babyface is not storing Totalmix situations (workspace or snapshots)inside the device, it is stored on the computer.
This is good because the BF is designed as a portable solution.
You go to a recording session to somewhere and when you come back to your own studio you will be very happy to find the old situation in Totalmix.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

I disagree that that's the best solution. With so many features and potential use cases, it seems odd to assume that one particular setup is the right default for everybody.

My main issue us that I want to run the computer playback to the optical output, but I also can't seem to control that on the Babyface itself. It would be nice to have that routing there all the time, without having to run TotalMix every time. It's not the end of the world, it's just surprising that a powerful interface like this would be lacking such a basic feature.

If you set up your playback in Windows Sound panel for channels SPDIF/ADAT (1+2)  that should do it, no?

Then there is no special routing, you send (effectively) direct to the optical output.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Ah, but that won't help me on macOS and the iPad wink Also, I'd like to have a few other things set up, like input gain settings. Why not have the option to at least remember the last state when it was turned off? Optional for sure, I can see why people would not want that. But if you're not constantly changing your setup, it seems reasonable that it would remember your settings.

6 (edited by waedi 2021-03-19 22:44:16)

May be there is a little misunderstanding from my side.
Yes, of course one particular setup is not the right for everybody and therefor everybody makes his own setup and it is done.
When you plug in the BF, the computer starts Totalmix automatic in the background and your setup is in use without having to open Totalmix window extra.
For helping to understand, Totalmix is not a software beside the interface,
Totalmix IS the interface.
The Babyface device is the beside box, cablebox with sockets and connectors (and of course with the mic pres and converters).
But the interface is Totalmix and the driver that is doing all the work in the background on the computer.
The driver is the core.As far as I understand it.
There is a lot of owners having fear of touching Totalmix in the beginning. So much channels and faders, what to do ? Oh, I'm not familiar with this, it's too much, I am looking for a way to avoid using Totalmix.
What a disaster ! There is a small piece to learn.
But the learning curve is very steep and done in minutes !
The RME Youtube videos on Totalmix are fantastic, easy to learn.
May it helps ?

eagereyes wrote:

I'm new to the Babyface Pro FS, but I haven't been able to find an answer to this. There is a default setup that it starts with when turned on. Is there any way to change what that is? It seems that TotalMix remembers my last state and immediately sets that up when I run it, but that means I have to run TotalMix every time I turn on the interface. I've tried using snapshots, but those don't seem to get saved to the device.

Does this perhaps help ?

See manual p. 58, 21.7.1 Store for Current or All Users
[...]An admin could even write protect the file lastBabyface Pro1.xml, which results in a complete reset to that file’s content whenever TotalMix FX is restarted.[...]

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

eagereyes wrote:

[...]Also, I'd like to have a few other things set up, like input gain settings. Why not have the option to at least remember the last state when it was turned off?[...]

Normal behaviour is, that TM FX saves the last settings to a file on exit, which gets loaded on reboot or when TM FX becomes restarted.

Under Windows the location of this file is: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\TotalMixFX\last.FirefaceUFX+1.xml

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

9 (edited by waedi 2021-03-20 00:00:21)

Oh that's cool.
On mac ut is in the User Library/Application Support/RME TotalmixFX/last.Digiface.etc.xml

This gives us the freedom we always wanted !
Let's write own xml to create artwork into Totalmix, smileys with faders,
headphone output: play only music from the band Jitterbuffer
All Input and output : delete every song from Oasis.

10 (edited by eagereyes 2021-03-19 23:52:25)

waedi wrote:

May be there is a little misunderstanding from my side.
For helping to understand, Totalmix is not a software beside the interface,
Totalmix IS the interface.
The Babyface device is the beside box, cablebox with sockets and connectors (and of course with the mic pres and converters).

I'm not sure I agree. The Babyface is clearly doing the work of mixing, etc., and it has its own controls: the jog wheel and the buttons. There's even standalone mode! So my expectation was that it would function more independently from TotalMix.

What you say about the driver loading settingsmakes sense. However, that doesn't work on iPad or in CC mode. And since I'm using it with the iPad, I'd have to switch back and forth between CC and PC. Not the end of the world, but seems clunky.

I'm not scared of TotalMix, I've actually gotten the hang of it faster than I thought I would. I find it confusing that I can configure a button to load Snapshot 1, but that only works when it's connected to my computer (and in PC mode). I figured that meant the interface would have that information stored on itself.

I understand what you're saying, and I appreciate you clearing that up. Just not what I had expected.

ramses wrote:

Does this perhaps help ?

See manual p. 58, 21.7.1 Store for Current or All Users
[...]An admin could even write protect the file lastBabyface Pro1.xml, which results in a complete reset to that file’s content whenever TotalMix FX is restarted.[...]

Thanks, but that's basically what I had already seen happen (and what waedi described). I was looking for it to start up in a particular configuration even in CC mode and when used with my iPad, for example.

eagereyes wrote:

There is no internal memory for all states, but some details are remembered within PC, CC and stand-alone mode.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

There is no internal memory for all states, but some details are remembered within PC, CC and stand-alone mode.

Interesting! Is there documentation somewhere what is remembered in which mode?

Sorry, no. AFAIR these are states that are controlled on the unit. For example if you use the BF Pro as DAC for your CD player withput USB connected, all settings that you changed on the unit to do so will most probably be remembered for this stand-alone state, and not be overwritten by other settings while in USB connected mode.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME