Topic: Direct out of Fireface UFX

Hi Guys,
I recently ran into a silly problem and cant seem to find the answer.
I'm running channels 3-8 direct lines out of my Fireface UFX into a Tascam 388 machine (1+2 are my speakers).
Trying to go 6 tracks to tape and back.
Everything on 388 is patched and set correctly.
In Protools I have each track output set to corresponding hardware outs. All cables are correct and double checked.
My problem is I'm not getting each track to output only that sound.
I'm getting some of output 4 (vocals) in track 7 (guitar) on the 388, etc.
I cant seem to seperate the outputs correctly.
In Total Mix I'm getting signal on stereo 3+4, 5+6, 7+8. I tried breaking them down to mono on the "hardware outputs" in Total Mix but still have the same problem.
Any idea how to simply go out the correct output of the UFX with the sound routed for that output only?
Thanks,
Fred

2 (edited by ramses 2021-03-21 13:24:52)

Re: Direct out of Fireface UFX

In TM submix mode:

Click to an HW output and check the submix, which audio you send to this particular HW output:
a) from HW inputs (UFX inputs)
b) from PC/Protools (SW playback channels)
As soon as a fader of HW inputs or SW playback channel is raised this audio is being routed to this particular HW output.

Additionally helpful after selecting a "submix" (click to HW output in TM FX bottom row...)
Click to "Sub" on the right side under "Layout Presets", then you see a very useful special view which HW inputs and SW playback channels are active for this particular submix. Then you only need to look where you see audio and then it should be isi pisi to identify "unwanted audio" being routed to an output and correct this by lowering the fader down to infinity.

See also UFX manual ch 25.5.2 at the end of page 65
https://www.rme-audio.de/download/fface_ufx_d.pdf
https://www.rme-audio.de/download/fface_ufx_e.pdf

@lightbox: when I started editing, your posting was not yet there wink

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Re: Direct out of Fireface UFX

Thanks very much ramses and lightbox!
You guys just saved my day.
I knew it was a super easy fix like this. You guys put me on the right track.
I found the solution to be that I needed to click and highlight for an example "hardware outputs" 3+4, then be sure "software playback" was only giving sound to 3+4 by turning the other "software playback" faders down.
Then I did the same for 5+6 and 7+8 being sure to turn down the other "software playback" channels each time.
Now I have all channels routed correctly into the 388.
I set up 1+2 and then made a "snapshot" of this routing called "ALL 8 TRACKS TO TAPE" for future transfers.
Now time to play with some tape!!
Thanks again guys for the help.