Topic: HDSPe AIO Pro - basic analog I/O question

I`ve read the manual and need to confirm a fundamental feature before buying. I have a small home studio with a good newer PC.  But the motherboard doesn't have native thunderbolt and I want to replace my older USB interface with a PCIe card if possible. I monitor strictly through headphones, but need two line inputs and outputs for my small setup. The manual and description keep referring to the stereo analog ins and outs, which may simply be referring to the fact that it is two ins and two outs (rather than a stereo signal that cannot be two mono inputs and outputs).  The two options for analog breakout cable clearly show two individual analog inputs and two individual analog outputs (either balanced or unbalanced). I am hoping that these function as traditional line inputs (outputs), so I can use them separately for two mono analog inputs (e.g., two mono synths, two separate mic pre line inputs, a single mono guitar line input from a two notes torpedo etc), or in stereo using a L+R line output from a stereo synth or digital piano.  I use Studio One and would expect to see the two analog inputs (outputs) as two separate inputs (outputs) along with the adat, AES inputs (outputs) etc. I have never used total mix, so not sure if setting the two analog inputs as either stereo or two mono is done in TM or Studio One.  Thanks.

Re: HDSPe AIO Pro - basic analog I/O question

Yes
The headphone out and stereo input are both a set of two mono channels.
Totalmix is by default showing all channels paired to stereo channels, they can be seperated if need.
Studio 1 like every other DAW is receiving all incoming signals on seperate mono channels, unless the software is configured to have them as stereo.
Your expectations will be oversatisfied.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

3 (edited by ramses 2021-03-21 20:54:38)

Re: HDSPe AIO Pro - basic analog I/O question

> The manual and description keep referring to the stereo analog ins and outs, which may simply be referring
> to the fact that it is two ins and two outs (rather than a stereo signal that cannot be two mono inputs and outputs).

> The two options for analog breakout cable clearly show two individual analog inputs and two individual analog
> outputs (either balanced or unbalanced).

Stereo = 2x mono channels, either balanced or unbalanced (different breakout cables), hard panned to the left and right.

> I am hoping that these function as traditional line inputs (outputs), so I can use them separately for two mono analog
> inputs (e.g., two mono synths, two separate mic pre line inputs, a single mono guitar line input from a two notes
> torpedo etc),

yes

> or  in stereo using a L+R line output from a stereo synth or digital piano.

yes with an y-cable ... TRS stereo plug to 2x mono.

> I use Studio One and would expect to see the two analog inputs (outputs) as two separate inputs (outputs)
> along with the adat, AES inputs (outputs) etc.
> I have never used total mix, so not sure if setting the two analog inputs as either stereo or two mono
> is done in TM or Studio One.

In TM FX and in the DAW it's configurable independend from each other to either have two mono or 1 stereo channel.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13