Topic: avb - milan

Hi, iam using a digiface avb and avid milan card successfully for playback and record to a theater setup on a macmini, i was wondering if anybody used a milan and avb interface in the same network, I would like to extend the setup with to motu's connected to musicians. Ofcourse i can give them a digiface avb, but i like to use 12mic/line inputs at there postion as wel, and use the software to create a 'monitormix' to keep te setup as small as possible when it comes to interfaces.
because as far as i can find and know, avb ieee 802,1 and milan seems to use different audio streams?
I have some streams left in my setup, kan the digiface avb act as a 'converter' to receive streamtype from motu and route it to streamtype aaf 8ch to the milan card?

Re: avb - milan

Hi Erwin,

If I recall correctly, Milan isnt so much a different format but an agreed set of settings and procedures that use the AVB IEEE standard. I am not familiar with the MOTU ecosystem as yet, but it sounds like this ought to work however I have heard that the MOTU devices are not entirely compatible with the MILAN AVB Controller configuration so it may cause issues in setting it up.

Re: avb - milan

hi, i Just heard back from motu and avid that they are not on the same level when it comes to avb stream types. What i appreciate on the RME devices that you can choose either way, I think i found the solution in the AVB TOOL, i can use the motu avb network for the musicians, and the avb tool as a bridge between streams and route them in totalmix tot the avb out's which are milan compatible, AND, OR route them to the madi i/o, wich is great because it also work's on console's without avb.

One day we might have one standard in avb