Topic: Audio signal drops out briefly

Hi there,

I hope a friendly soul on this forum might be able to help me with an issue I am having with the ADI-2 DAC fs.

After 5-10 minutes of play, the audio signal drops out intermittently. It is not clipping in the sense of audio distortion, just a fall-out of the signal.

It happens only with computer input audio (USB), so never with toslink or coax, but across all computer sources and all audio levels within each application - i.e. Roon, Audirvana, TIDAL App, Qobuz, YouTube, websites, etc.

It happens both on the RME headphone output and on an external headphone amp fed by the RME via XLR out.

I have tried both Auto Ref mode and not on the RME unit, but I have yet to find the cause for this issue.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Re: Audio signal drops out briefly

Have you tried another USB cable? Also have you tried both the RME driver and the operating system's default driver?

mediummanting wrote:

Have you tried another USB cable? Also have you tried both the RME driver and the operating system's default driver?

Many thanks for those suggestions. I have the most recent firmware (v.35), and I have now tried with the original RME usb cable. Same result, unfortunately.

Is there anything else in the USB signal chain (anything between PC and DAC)? If so, remove it.

mediummanting wrote:

Is there anything else in the USB signal chain (anything between PC and DAC)? If so, remove it.

Nothing between the computer (Mac) and the RME unit. I have four USB ports, and I have tried them all with the same result.

Hi, I'm having the same problem since updating to the latest firmware and drivers. (Windows 10).  Only thing changed in my setup is the drivers and firmware. I will try rolling back to previous drivers to see if that cures the problem.

7 (edited by 2138 2021-04-24 11:57:44)

Discom wrote:

Hi, I'm having the same problem since updating to the latest firmware and drivers. (Windows 10).  Only thing changed in my setup is the drivers and firmware. I will try rolling back to previous drivers to see if that cures the problem.

Interesting.

Stupid question here: how can I check which driver version I have on my Mac (if I have one)? I have never actually tampered with the driver, just connected the computer and RME with usb which used to be just fine until maybe a month or two ago.

2138 wrote:

Stupid question here: how can I check which driver version I have on my Mac (if I have one)? I have never actually tampered with the driver, just connected the computer and RME with usb which used to be just fine until maybe a month or two ago.

If you haven't installed the RME driver, you're not using it. I don't use a Mac so can't advise further.

So, after having changed the usb cable, reinstalled the firmware, changed usb ports on the computer and restarted, the problem seems to have disappeared.

Unless it returns, I am not sure I will ever find out what was wrong.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Let's hope the issue will not come back. Be happy.
Your question about the driver version on your mac is answered half way, there is no driver to install for this device.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue