1 (edited by ramses 2021-04-25 13:30:01)

Topic: Feature Request - show source ports of configured mirrors of a submix

Feature Request: I would regard it as being very useful if the mirroring of submixes in TotalMix FX would be shown in the list of output channels with the indication of the respective source port.

Reasons:

• I am currently not using the mirror feature because I fear that after some weeks or months I might loose the overview over the setup mirrors in different TM FX snapshots and wouldn't want having to "right click" through the highlighted output channels in submix mode to detect the source ports. I think that such an option would really increase the overview and motivate to use this nice mirror submix feature more often.

• Also nice for submix mode as you can click at any time to the bottom of an HW input/SW playback channel to get this list and then it's generally useful for displaying mirrors / their source ports.

Current Implementation:

• You can only recognize the setup of a mirror in Submix Mode by the lightened display of the particular output channels, but then you have to know the source port from which the submix is mirrored or you need to right-click channel by channel and get this information from the entries in the pulldown menu like "Remove Mirror <source port>]".

• If you work in Free Routing Mode, then this brightening of source/mirror ports does not exist for the submixes/outputs. In this case I would find it very helpful if the respective source port would be displayed in the list of the output channels in case of an existing mirroring of the mix.

Example: if you want to change the gain of Mic9 in the submixes for Phones1 - Phones4 in Free mode, then it would be quite helpful to know if mirrors are set up there, because then you would know directly that you only need to make this change at one of the four Phones submixes.

Advantages: I think by this everything is more "under control" and you can work more efficiently in Free Routing mode as you do not need to perform settings on mirror ports. I would be very happy if this could be implemented.

Below two examples how this could look like: as usual the ">" indicates into which channels audio from this port will be routed to and now you see additionally the configured mirrors either in parenthesis or by using the prefix "s:" (source).

Variant A - Source port in parenthesis

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2i0w656h0bkrx0q/2021-04-25%20TotalMix%20FX%20-%20Visualization%20of%20Mirror%20Submix.jpg?dl=1

Variant B - Source port prefixed by "s:"

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cuvyr81eb8w3u93/2021-04-25%20TotalMix%20FX%20-%20Visualization%20of%20Mirror%20Submix2.jpg?dl=1

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

2 (edited by MetalHeadKeys 2021-04-29 04:29:36)

Re: Feature Request - show source ports of configured mirrors of a submix

+1, for this!

Thanks, Ramses!
This will be very useful, if implemented!

Perhaps, a "tick" option in the "Options" menu for "Display Sources for Mirror Submixes" might be a small good addition to an, allready, good idea?
So, anyone could activate - deactivate it, depending on his needs?

Also, I think that maybe both the "s:" and the parenthesis would look nice and clear for everyone!
e.g:      >   PH 11/12  s:(PH 9/10) or
             >   PH 11/12  (s:PH 9/10)

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

Many thanks for your kind feeback and suggestions, yes an option to make something new "configurable" is always welcome wink

BTW I tried to keep the text in the pulldown menue as short as possible so that RME has not to resize the pulldown menue much in terms of width. For some channel names the strings can become quite long. But I am personally free for anything that also looks good for others and RME.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

+1

HDSPe MADI FX, HDSPe Multiface, 2ADI2-PRO, ADI2,
Nuendo 10.3, Bitwig 3
win10, Ubuntu 20