Topic: TotalMix FX Routing for external hardware

Greetings all.  I searched hard to find an answer to my problem on this forum, but no luck.  Found a lot of posts about it, but I couldn't find a clear answer. And I'm thinking this is probably an easy questions (at least for those with more experience than me). I'm trying to use a couple of hardware compressors. I have a Fireface UFX and have used it for years with no problems. Its been a great interface for me. But the external hardware routing thing is new to me. 

Can someone please provide me what the routing would be for external hardware? I have the input of my WA76 (mono) compressor connected to "analog out 7" of the UFX.  Then returning back from the WA76 into "analog in 7"in on the UFX.  Seams like a simple round trip (unless the input needs to come back into a different channel??).  I tried using the compressor as an insert (I'm using Pro  Tools), but too much latency and wasn't able to calculate the offset to set the hardware insert delay (long story there).

I did likewise with my stereo buss compressor, using channels 5 and 6.  If I can get help with the mono compressor, I should be able to get the stereo compressor working on my own.

I tried a few of the TotalMix resets (total reset, straight playback, etc). No luck.  I really hope someone can guide me on the proper routing to get these compressors working.  It's been a humbling experience.  I can usually figure this kind of stuff on my own but this one has me stumped. 

Many thanks for any guidance you can share!!!

Clint

2 (edited by ramses 2021-05-06 14:25:14)

Re: TotalMix FX Routing for external hardware

Not sure how protools supports external HW. In Cubase you can define external devices and the DAW sends something like a "ping" through it to determine/test the round trip latency and to compensate it, then you can use this external device (or multiple devices chained) like a VST/insert.

For another thread I created this Visio where you can see, how external devices are defined in Cubase, I hope this illustrates what I mean:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/you0zou8ykbsyez/SSL%20Mix%20Desk%20-%2004%20-%20Best%20Solution.jpg?dl=1

If you work with different external devices (like mastering "chains") then you can optimize/minimize RTL by connecting multiple external devices as a "chain". Then you do not have the RTL multiple times in the signal path.

But even if your DAW does not suppot it this way, you can also solve this with TM FX routing, assuming you work in TM FX "full mode" (not the DAW mode without TM FX routing).

Basic steps: in the DAW send Audio to an output channel which is unused, the audio signal you will see in TM FX in the middle row (SW playback channels), it will not be send directly to a HW output, this is the next step of TM FX routing ...
Ensure that you are in submix mode (check right side of TM FX window).
Click to the HW output where you want to send audio to (the output which is connected to the compressors input.
Now raise the fader of the SW playback channel from the DAW with the audio, that you want to send to the compressor.

Hint: TotalMix FX adds a layer (SW playback channels, middle row) with the purpose, that you can perform the final routing
FOR EACH OF THE HW OUTPUT CHANNELS INDIVIDUALLY (every output is a "submix", hence the name submix mode)
and create the needed submix from
- HW inputs (TM FX top row) with near zero latency (as audio is routed from one to the other port of the routing matrix on the recording interface)
- from computer/DAW (TM FX middle row) with the usual RTL (depending on sample rate and ASIO buffersize on Windows)
by simply raising/changing the faders of those inputs and sw playback channels.

Please check the very fine RME Video Tutorials about TM FX which gives you a good overview about TM FX capabilities and routing, I provided here a collection of Youtube links: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … al-Videos/

Also the RME manual contains information about TM FX routing capabilities.

I also created a this document containing several things around a 1st time setup, not sure, but maybe a few points could also be helpful for you: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … rnal-equi/

If you have any questions, please ask back.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Re: TotalMix FX Routing for external hardware

No specific routing in Totalmix is required, this should also work with TM in DAW mode (no internal routing). Otherwise, you'd have to save a specific Totalmix configuration for whatever your individual projects require.
All send/return paths can and should be set in your DAW software only.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME