Topic: Fireface ucx Headphone output impendance

i have a rme fireface ucx and i m used to my closed back audio technica ath50x (38 ohm) and sometimes i like them really loud. Wonderful sound.

For mixing i wanted some more bassless open back phones like the beyerdynamic dt880 (250 ohm). Today i got them i was disappointed... they are quiet. When i raise the volume nearly to max or set the level to „hi gain“ they distort. And thats not nearly as loud as i can drive the ath50x.

Is the headphone output not capable of 250 ohm ?

Re: Fireface ucx Headphone output impendance

Or is the headphone distorting? Easy to check - the UCX phones output does not distort with 250 Ohms phones even at full volume, which can be checked with the respective output level meter in TM FX.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

You are absolutely right. It s a shame that „studio standard“ headphones don t work at all volume levels.

Hi,

that's odd. I have the DT880 Pro here (250 Ohm) and it works just fine with the UCX. Neither is it "quiet", nor does it ever distort. Are you sure you're not raising digital levels beyond 0 dFFS?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

5 (edited by maleinenbach 2021-05-10 15:11:50)

Yes sure. Put the output level on hi gain and raise the volume of the ucx on max. It doesnt distort ?

This is far too loud on the ath50x but the dt880 (and a dt990 also) is on an moderate loud level then and it distorts...

...i ordered a headphone amp today

Nope, no distortion at all. What does "max" refer to? Are you aware that raising the level above "0" will likely cause digital distortion, depending on the music material...? Also, "loud" is rather subjective, I guess. I really wouldn't want to listen to the level that comes out of my DT880 at the settings you mention for more than a minute.... Even at the +4 setting, full level (0, not higher) can be uncomfortably loud.

[EDIT] Just tried my old original DT990 and DT880 from the Eighties, these are the 600 Ohm models. While the volume is lower, Hi Gain and full level is not something I'd want to listen to extensively... -8 is plenty loud... Depends on the source material of course. No distortion here, either. Both of them still incredibly good sounding headphones, by the way... 990 has more bass...

Re. source material: If you are mixing some soft classical/acoustic recordings pre-mastering it might be that you feel you're not getting enough volume. But whatever distortion might creep in while trying to raise levels would be digital, and not caused by an overload in the analog domain, either of the output or the phones. You can get enormous acoustic levels out of the DT880 Pro with the UCX witout any distortion. Beyond unpleasant, well into potentially ear-damaging.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

7 (edited by maleinenbach 2021-05-10 16:33:24)

Thank you for you time an effort.

Yes its exactly this unpleasant uncomfortable ear damaging level that i mean. Exactly there the dt880 fails IMO, the ath50x not.

But most important: its not the ucx. And the dt880 is just not the right one for me.

You can have ear damaging levels without distortion. If you turn up the volume on your ATH50, you can also damage your hearing with that... My point was about your claim that the 880 just isn't loud enough with the UCX, and that's not the case...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME