Topic: Madiface HDSPe Format Converting

The description for the MadiFace HDSPe on the website says it's capable of operating as a format converted between Coax and Fibre but i'm struggling to figure out how to do it.

What i want to do is simply convert from Coaxial BNC to Fibre and back with a simple one to one patch to bridge two devices.

Can anyone provide a step by step how-to on this? I've searched and RME don't seem to supply any instructions on what to do.

Thanks

Re: Madiface HDSPe Format Converting

The user manual in the website does not include reset options like other newer interfaces have in the Totalmix FX, therefor you have to do manual routing from every Input channel to a desired output channel in Totalmix.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Also the MADIface USB does exactly that without any configuration necessary.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks Waedi,

I was attempting it by using the matrix in TotalMix but there doesn’t seem to be a way of selectively routing to the BNC or Fibre... seems like it just routs to both but in parallel but with no way to select any puck off points.

Using the matrix, I can get audio from the BNC input to the Fibre units input then back out the fibre however, the final return signal back to the console looks like it’s a direct patch from the BNC input to the BNC output as any level change on the fibre until makes no difference on the consoles insert return.

There must be a way in total mix to patch BNC INPUT 1 to FIBRE INPUT 1 | FIBRE OUTPUT 1 to BNC OUTPUT 1.

At the moment the active signal path seems like it’s BNC INPUT 1 to BNC OUTPUT 1 (while still send to the fibre side as well).

Hope that makes sense.

braunsound wrote:

Thanks Waedi,

I was attempting it by using the matrix in TotalMix but there doesn’t seem to be a way of selectively routing to the BNC or Fibre... seems like it just routs to both but in parallel but with no way to select any puck off points.

Using the matrix, I can get audio from the BNC input to the Fibre units input then back out the fibre however, the final return signal back to the console looks like it’s a direct patch from the BNC input to the BNC output as any level change on the fibre until makes no difference on the consoles insert return.

There must be a way in total mix to patch BNC INPUT 1 to FIBRE INPUT 1 | FIBRE OUTPUT 1 to BNC OUTPUT 1.

At the moment the active signal path seems like it’s BNC INPUT 1 to BNC OUTPUT 1 (while still send to the fibre side as well).

Hope that makes sense.

Not sure what exactly you want.
A signal usually goes from an output to an input or from an input to an output.
And there is a console in the game.
What is the source of signal ?
Where at the end shall this signal arrive ?

...to patch BNC INPUT 1 to FIBRE INPUT 1 - This makes no sense to me.

Hi MC,

Given you're from RME can you supply me with a step by step document as to how to get this to work?

MC wrote:

Also the MADIface USB does exactly that without any configuration necessary.

7 (edited by braunsound 2021-05-17 23:42:15)

It's intended use is to be a format converter in this situation so of course there needs to be a one to one patch, sorry, not sure how i can explain that any differently.

The console is of no concern within the set up, it simply tells me if the RME unit is doing what it's supposed to and at the moment, the RME is not working properly.

All i want to do is send an insert from my console via BNC madi to a Fibre madi device. I need the RME to act as the format converter from BNC to Fibre and back... does that make sense?

Thanks smile

waedi wrote:
braunsound wrote:

Thanks Waedi,

Hope that makes sense.

Not sure what exactly you want.
A signal usually goes from an output to an input or from an input to an output.
And there is a console in the game.
What is the source of signal ?
Where at the end shall this signal arrive ?

...to patch BNC INPUT 1 to FIBRE INPUT 1 - This makes no sense to me.

8 (edited by waedi 2021-05-18 00:03:42)

Ah ok I understand now. You want forward the signals from BNC input to optical output.
Have you tested just by plugging the cables ?
What do you mean with ...the RME is not working properly.?
Can you open Totalmix ?
Do you see the signal when play a file in the computer ?
I hope you don't feel attacked from my questions.
I had the same hdspe madi card in a powerMac without problems but i never used BNC.

Ha don’t be silly, this is just how we figure it out!

There’s no files from the computer in this scenario, in a perfect world, the RME would operate without a computer attached once the routing is set up.

The RME is passing audio. As I mentioned in a previous post, audio is getting from the desk to the RME via BNC and back to the console via BNC. Audio is also getting to the fibre side and I can see on my fibre device (UAD Live Rack) that I’m send signal back out out the fibre BUT that signal is not what is returning to the console. There is a signal disconnect somewhere between the output of the fibre device and the BNC side.

The desk is seeing return signal via BNC but it is not coming from the fibre devices output. Changing the volume on the fibre device does not change anything on the desk and it should if the signal flow were correct.

There’s probably a simple step im missing but all I want it to do is be a format converter with a one to one patch.

waedi wrote:

Ah ok I understand now. You want forward the signals from BNC input to optical output.
Have you tested just by plugging the cables ?
What do you mean with ...the RME is not working properly.?
Can you open Totalmix ?
Do you see the signal when play a file in the computer ?
I hope you don't feel attacked from my questions.
I had the same hdspe madi card in a powerMac without problems but i never used BNC.

>in a perfect world, the RME would operate without a computer attached once the routing is set up.

Yes some interfaces do this, the Fireface 400 for example but not all devices have internal memory.
A PCI card does not offer a function without a computer.

The patch you are looking for is unknown to me.
As you said it is a insert channel from the console, I take this as one mono or one stereo-signal.
Open Totalmix and forward that signal from the visible madi input channel to the desired madi output channel, done.
No need to make routings for 64 channels with no signal.
After that you can close Totalmix, the function should keep running.
Just let the computer on.

Yep, that’s what I thought the process would be but I can’t see options for patching between the fibre and BNC within the patch matrix on total mix

waedi wrote:

>in a perfect world, the RME would operate without a computer attached once the routing is set up.

Yes some interfaces do this, the Fireface 400 for example but not all devices have internal memory.
A PCI card does not offer a function without a computer.

The patch you are looking for is unknown to me.
As you said it is a insert channel from the console, I take this as one mono or one stereo-signal.
Open Totalmix and forward that signal from the visible madi input channel to the desired madi output channel, done.
No need to make routings for 64 channels with no signal.
After that you can close Totalmix, the function should keep running.
Just let the computer on.

12 (edited by waedi 2021-05-18 01:51:23)

braunsound wrote:

Yep, that’s what I thought the process would be but I can’t see options for patching between the fibre and BNC within the patch matrix on total mix

Without any guarantee, in the matrix window it could be a diagonal line, click all fields on a diagonal line from top left to bottom right and see if it does the trick.
I don't have this computer anymore and can't test myself.

Ok cool, will have a look this evening. I couldn’t see any tabs for other patching options but the Total Mix program does a pretty good job of making thing less obvious that need be so it might be hiding haha

Thanks, I’ll let you know how I go.

waedi wrote:
braunsound wrote:

Without any guarantee, in the matrix window it could be a diagonal line, click all fields on a diagonal line from top left to bottom right and see if it does the trick.
I don't have this computer anymore and can't test myself.