Topic: UFX II and ADI-2 Pro FS Clock Setting

Hello,

I have a master/slave question. 

For my setup I have a Fireface UFX II and an ADI-2 Pro FS.  The ADI-2 is connected via ADAT 1 because I use the AES connection to my computer for the external input (ARC USB).  I use the A/D on the ADI-2 for vocals and acoustic guitars (ADAT 1 and ADAT 2).  I have my bass DI and Sans amp, my DI electric guitars, keyboard workstation and two additional mics going to the Fireface via a DAV BG8 to the analog inputs.  Since I’m mostly a solo artist, I have snapshots saved in totalmix of my settings for quick setup with the ARC/USB.

Currently I have the Fireface set as the master and the ADI-2 set as slave.  My question is would there be any benefit to making the ADI-2 as master and the Fireface set as slave or should I just leave things as they are.

Thanks for any input and Critique of my setup

John

Re: UFX II and ADI-2 Pro FS Clock Setting

Let it this way, there is no benefit of master slave position as far as I understand the video right.
https://youtu.be/Ti0aHW-zYcs

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

3 (edited by ramses 2021-05-21 14:34:24)

The video doesn't explain anything in terms of where to place the clock master...

@Loueasy, your current setup is optimum for two reasons
1. it's ideal to use the recording interface which is connected to the PC as clock master
    Then the application, which loads the ASIO driver, can set the clock according to the project settings
2. The ADI-2 Pro uses it's own internal FS clock anyway for A/D and D/A conversion - by design.
So leave it as it is, it's perfect.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks Ramses,

Great explanation, as always.

Loueasy wrote:

Thanks Ramses,

Great explanation, as always.

You're welcome Loueasy and many thanks for the flowers wink

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I am adding a ADI-8 DS MKiii to this setup.  Should I keep the UFX as the master and slave the ADI-2 Pro FS (AES) and ADI-8 DS MKiii (ADAT)?

Thanks

Yes, you can do that, to further control sample rate by the DAW/application.