1 (edited by lordadb 2021-05-22 09:59:28)

Topic: Fireface 802: ADM with Cubase 11

Hi,

I just get my new 802 and I have some problem.
The 802 is plugged via USB, my OS is Win 10 20H2.

I'm trying to use ADM with Cubase 11.0.20. I state that:
- I have activated Asio Direct Monitoring on Cubase
- I am using TotalMix in DAW mode (loaded BEFORE Cubase)
- I reset the mixer with the DAW preset (all mono inputs and all stereo outputs)
- "Disable ASio Direct Monitoring" is NOT checked in preferences
- I'm using very last firmware and drivers

When I activate monitoring on Cubase channel (orange speaker button) with a microphone plugged in, the meter moves, but I can't get the sound anywhere. In particular, if any CUE send is active in the active track, it will not work, regardless of which output I connected the Cue send from Cubase to. No issue with my previous soundcard (MOTU Hybrid MK2, which I changed for the Fireface).
What can I try to do? I made a screen with the situation in Cubase and TotalMix.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

https://i.imgur.com/uhDIIEs.jpg

Re: Fireface 802: ADM with Cubase 11

From the manual: The DAW mode restarts TM FX into a light version with just two rows, no play-back row, and no mixing faders in the input row. Routing is 1:1 only.

Isn't it logical that ADM doesn't work then, as it is exactly that - mixing an input signal, no 1:1 anymore?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by lordadb 2021-05-22 23:16:19)

Thank Matthias for your reply.
I think I'm missing the point. What's the real purpose of the ADM if I can't get a monitoring via Cubase cues to distribute the signal? Where exactly is supposed to be useful a full implementation of ADM?
No rude intention here, just to understand.
With MOTU I did get the sound in this way, with RME don't. Again, I think I'm missing something, if I can't listen to a signal with headphones on ADM activated.

4 (edited by waedi 2021-05-22 23:07:23)

Totalmix menu : Options - Operational mode
select full-mode
Please try

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

5 (edited by lordadb 2021-05-22 23:22:24)

waedi wrote:

Totalmix menu : Options - Operational mode
select full-mode
Please try

Ok, so you suggest to activate ADM on Cubase AND operate in full mode thru TotalMix. I give it a try.
Anyway, the ultimate question is: is it possible to synchronise Asio Direct Monitoring and the Cubase Control Room for cue mixing?

6 (edited by waedi 2021-05-22 23:30:30)

With Totalmix in full mode you probably don't need ADM because then you have full access to all signals.
Those from microphones and those from any mix or cue out of cubase as it will show up in Totalmix for further mixing/routing to monitors.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

When I first got my Babyface pro fs I thought it would be simpler to put TotalMix in DAW mode but soon changed my mind. The flexibility in full mode is essential and you should be able to route just about anything anywhere and use control room

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

I think you all are right. I think it's more powerful and flexible to have an hybrid combination Cubase-Cues / TotalMix, bypassing ADM at all. Thank you anyway, you helped me to see on the right prospective.