Topic: Running AVB audio and NDI video on the same network

I have a question re being able to run multiple NDI video feeds and AVB audio on a Gigabit ethernet n/work down a single cat5e ethernet cable for the purposes of HD live streaming/recording.

At the moment I am in the process of completing a HD live streaming/recording workflow (1080i/60fps, 16 channels of audio max) combining NDI for multiple video feeds and MADI for the audio side of things. I already have all the audio hardware in place. It will work like this:

Video side of things
Transmitter/action end:
-    2/3 vid cameras equipped with HDMI plugging into  2x Birdog NDI encoders i.e. https://bird-dog.tv/flex-overview/
-    Encoders plug into an ethernet wifi hub (equipped with 4 Gigabit ethernet ports) which is connected via ethernet cat5e cable to another wifi ethernet hub at the receiving end.

Receiver end:
-    Plan A (cheaper and most straight fwd setup): PC (running OBS for video switching/live streaming/recording) plugging straight into ethernet wifi hub connected to the internet. Will be using https://bird-dog.tv/centrallite-overview/ to manage NDI routing of video feeds from transmitter end.
-    Plan B (more expensive setup): Alternatively, using 2x birdog NDI decoders i.e. https://bird-dog.tv/flex-overview/ and a dedicated video switcher (i.e. BM atem mini) to handle the video switching, video FX etc.

Audio side
Action end
-    2x RME MADI XTC mic pres +Ferofish Pulse 16MX to handle monitoring outputs.
-    One fibre cable (OM4) handles MADI audio and Midi over MADI for all connected RME/Ferrofish MADI h/ware.
Receiver end
-    1x RME MADIface pro card plugged to PC running TMfx and OBS for HD 1080p/60fps streaming/recording. OBS picks up the RME MADIface pro as an audio source.

FUTURE SETUP Question
Is there any reason why I couldn't run the same system above but dispensing with the MADI cable altogether and running the entire setup of multiple NDI video feeds and AVB audio over the same Gigabit ethernet network using just one cat 5 cable? What extra hardware would I need to achieve this? I am wondering if an AVB tool could be used to interface between my 2 XTC+Ferrofish and the wifi ethernet hub at the transmitter end? Would I then need a digiface AVB at the receiving end?

Any advice on how this setup might work would be much appreciated.

Stavros

2 (edited by Max 2021-06-16 14:03:36)

Re: Running AVB audio and NDI video on the same network

Hi Stavros,

a "wifi ethernet hub" does not provide the precise timing and stream reservation features of an AVB switch, therefore you must either replace the routers with AVB switches, or keep the current system with MADI.

I would think that using AVB Switches in your setup might work, but be aware that the switch reserves bandwidth only for your AVB streams, not for the NDI signals. That leads to a higher priority for audio than for the video, which will probably run without any elevated priority through the switches. It does not look like a very good solution to me, especially since the video signals should be sent via AVB streams as well (but NDI does not make use of that). I think only BiAmp TesiraLUX can accomplish that today.

I hope this answers your question.
Best regards,
Max