Topic: ADI-2 DAC FS New User - No Sound Output

Hello everyone . I want to introduce myself.

I bought RME ADI -2 DAC FS  around 2months ago. Very happy with the sound quality . I am a newbie and don't have much experience with this DAC.

I accidentally pressed some switch while lifting it and now I am not getting any output through my speakers. The set up is as follows:

1. Computer as source ----USB ( Input )

2. From DAC ----RCA ---cables ( Red and white colour ) to my amplifier

3. Amplifier -----Normal Speaker cables to speakers.

It was functioning all well.  Tried to do the factory reset ( Chapter 7 , Page 11 of the manual ) I don't know if I did it correctly. Still no sound from the speakers . Could somebody assist me. Thanks.

Re: ADI-2 DAC FS New User - No Sound Output

Is the output set to Line Out (look at the top of the display)?

Or mute is activated? Press the volume button to test smile

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

What does computer mean ? Windows or Apple ? Which OS ?

Do you see in the "State Overview" a connection to USB ?
E.g. in the line for USB: "USB conn 44.1 Pro 24"

You say you are not sure, whether you performed factory setup correctly. What steps did you perform ?
The usual thing which works for my ADI-2 Pro FS R BE is
SETUP -> Menue: "Setups", "Load / Store all Settings"
Setup Select -> Turn Encoder 2 clockwise to "Factory"
Push Encoder 2 to reach "Start Press 1s"
Push Encoder 2 again for 1s and the you have factory reset performed and you see in the Display briefly "Done."

Tip: next time save your setup in one of the user presets 1..9 and then restore from it ...

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by ramses 2021-06-17 09:54:52)

N00b wrote:

Good point noob you seem to use this function more often than me wink

(BTW ... I use this function on the Pro for switching between  speakers / phones).

@naturecare3000: little hint to read the very fine manual and make yourself more familiar with the basic functions of the DAC wink

And .. I would have just pressed all the buttons anyway, one of them must have been. The pots and switches either turn something on or off (e.g. mute) or switch through different display views. After that you known them all wink

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

6 (edited by Curt962 2021-06-17 10:31:08)

+1 for N00b!  smile

Indeed, an innocent tap on the the Vol. Encoder (ie: Mute) is the fastest method of immersing oneself in the Sound of Silence!

Naturecare, Give that a Try! 

Good Catch N00b.

Best to All,

Curt

@Nature:  Avail yourself to the very comprehensive ADI-2DAC User Manual.  It explains all!

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

7 (edited by The Tune Shack 2021-06-17 10:36:49)

First check the volume on your PC.

Check that you selected correct output from your PC, digital out etc.

Check that USB cable is inserted into the DAC. Maybe try another USB cable too.

Check that the RCA cables too are correctly inserted.

Check the amplifier, correct line out, speaker connections etc.

In short follow the signal path from the beginning to the end. Take your time.

If you lifted the DAC and suddenly there is no sound the maybe some connection is loose.

Sometimes it is the simplest things, as other have mentioned. The MUTE button on your remote.

Good Luck!

Jamo Concert 8
Usher R 1.5
Bluesound NODE 2i & Marantz SA-7S1
RME ADI-2 DAC FS

mediummanting wrote:

Is the output set to Line Out (look at the top of the display)?

The line output is ---lineout---Locked   

( the other option is line output ---muted )

N00b wrote:

Pushed the volume button, but nothing happened. Still no sound in the speakers, though i noted on the screen that Rand L are showing moving bands , which probably indicates that the sound signal  is being produced by DAC but somehow it is not relayed to the speakers.

10 (edited by naturecare3000 2021-06-18 05:24:45)

ramses wrote:

What does computer mean ? Windows or Apple ? Which OS ?   ---- Windows 8

Do you see in the "State Overview" a connection to USB ?-----------Yes, it says USB Connected
E.g. in the line for USB: "USB conn 44.1 Pro 24"

You say you are not sure, whether you performed factory setup correctly. What steps did you perform ?
The usual thing which works for my ADI-2 Pro FS R BE is
SETUP -> Menue: "Setups", "Load / Store all Settings"
Setup Select -> Turn Encoder 2 clockwise to "Factory"
Push Encoder 2 to reach "Start Press 1s"
Push Encoder 2 again for 1s and the you have factory reset performed and you see in the Display briefly "Done."

------On Page 11 of the manual it states : Returning to Factory State :
In case a total reset is desired : Hold encoder 1and Vol key pushed while turning on the unit . This will rest all memory to factory default.
Set ups and EQ presets stored by the user will not be deleted. ( i did not store any presets ) . I did this step.

Another way to reset the unit is by selecting the factory set up in the setup section and loading it ( I did not understand this? From  the set up section of the unit ?? )

Tip: next time save your setup in one of the user presets 1..9 and then restore from it ...

I have pressed the volume button but still no sound in the speakers.

I am reading the manual slowly and trying to understand but it is very annoying not to get any sound / able to listen to music.

ramses wrote:
N00b wrote:

Good point noob you seem to use this function more often than me wink

(BTW ... I use this function on the Pro for switching between  speakers / phones).

@naturecare3000: little hint to read the very fine manual and make yourself more familiar with the basic functions of the DAC wink

And .. I would have just pressed all the buttons anyway, one of them must have been. The pots and switches either turn something on or off (e.g. mute) or switch through different display views. After that you known them all wink

I am reading it slowly but it is very annoying not o be able to listen to music via DAC .

The Tune Shack wrote:

First check the volume on your PC.

Check that you selected correct output from your PC, digital out etc.

Check that USB cable is inserted into the DAC. Maybe try another USB cable too.

Check that the RCA cables too are correctly inserted.

Check the amplifier, correct line out, speaker connections etc.

In short follow the signal path from the beginning to the end. Take your time.

If you lifted the DAC and suddenly there is no sound the maybe some connection is loose.

Sometimes it is the simplest things, as other have mentioned. The MUTE button on your remote.

Good Luck!

Done all of this prior to posting the query but thanks for thinking and your suggestion.

Curt962 wrote:

+1 for N00b!  smile

Indeed, an innocent tap on the the Vol. Encoder (ie: Mute) is the fastest method of immersing oneself in the Sound of Silence!

Naturecare, Give that a Try! 

Good Catch N00b.

Best to All,

Curt

@Nature:  Avail yourself to the very comprehensive ADI-2DAC User Manual.  It explains all!

@Curt

Yes Curt , doing it slowly. So far no success.

15 (edited by KaiS 2021-06-18 07:21:25)

• Does the main screen / Analyser display show your signal?
If no, you selected the wrong input, like COAX or OPT.
Press USB on the remote.

• If yes, try to plug in headphones, check both outputs.

Make sure the output is not muted by going into the I/O menu, select the correct output and scroll all the way down to Mute.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I'm willing to try anything as I'm quite sure there's nothing wrong with the DAC.
Forgive me if I'm wrong.

But has the remote been correctly setup to control the DAC?

Its done with the "sel" button.
https://www.rme-usa.com/files/uploads/RME-Products/Converter/ADI-2-DAC-r.png

Jamo Concert 8
Usher R 1.5
Bluesound NODE 2i & Marantz SA-7S1
RME ADI-2 DAC FS

18 (edited by Curt962 2021-06-18 16:36:24)

@Nature

Man!  It's too close to the Weekend to have you sitting in silence.    Hmmm.

You said in an earlier post that you DO see "moving bands" on the RME display.  If I"m reading you correctly, these are the Pre-Post Level Meters.  You should see Four (4) Horizontal Bars.  Two thick ones, and Two thin ones.  Do you?  *See attached Pic below

These Bars/Bands DO indicate that your DAC is receiving a valid input, so it seems that your input selection is OK.    Where does it go from there???

Note:  The Thin Horizontal Bars indicate Pre-Fx Input Signal Levels.

The Thick Horizontal Bars indicate Post-FX Signal Levels, and disappear altogether if output is muted, or Vol is turned waaaaay down.    What do YOU see?

Vol. Locked?  Locked where? -100?   That would be essentially no sound output.  This begs the question: How are you controlling Volume at home?   
Could it be THAT device is muted?  With an Integrated Amp, perhaps the Source Select is incorrectly set?  (You WERE moving equipment!  These things happen)

Scratching Head Vigorously here. 

Could you post a Pic of your ADI-2 DAC Display, and let us have a look?  That might prove helpful.

We want You LISTENING TO MUSIC TODAY!!

Hang in there Nature.  We'll get you sorted.

Best,

Curt

https://i.ibb.co/nDHzZdf/20210618-082106.jpg

This is a normal Display.

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

KaiS wrote:

• Does the main screen / Analyser display show your signal?
If no, you selected the wrong input, like COAX or OPT.
Press USB on the remote.

• If yes, try to plug in headphones, check both outputs.

@ DAW Mastermind

Sure , I will check and revert back . I will probably take pictures with various settings and post it. I hope that will assist in resolving the issue.

MC wrote:

Make sure the output is not muted by going into the I/O menu, select the correct output and scroll all the way down to Mute.

@MC

Sure will try today and let you know.

The Tune Shack wrote:

I'm willing to try anything as I'm quite sure there's nothing wrong with the DAC.
Forgive me if I'm wrong.

But has the remote been correctly setup to control the DAC?

Its done with the "sel" button.
https://www.rme-usa.com/files/uploads/RME-Products/Converter/ADI-2-DAC-r.png

@Tune Shack

I have not set up the remote. I was not using the remote at all.  I will set it up now and revert back.

@Curt

Very useful suggestions. I will check it out. If I am able to resolve the issue with these suggestions that would be great otherwise I will post various pictures in order to arrive at a solution.

Thank you for your time Curt. Really appreciated at this end.

Hi All,

I am Writing after approximately 6 months of my previous post. Due to Covid Pandemic , I was extremely busy in my work and could not devote time to resolve the NIL output ( volume ) issue from the DAC. Please accept my apologies for not responding earlier.

Finally got some time today and was able to go through your suggestions one by one.
Found two faults.

1. The line out put was muted : By pressing encoder 1;   one more time the line output was restored.

2. The RCA cables going to the amp were in Pre- Out - A instead of Input A

Finally , I was able to listen to my music which I was craving for. 

I sincerely Thank all the members who responded to my query and assisted me .

Wish all of you a Happy New Year -2022 and May God bless you with good health and happiness.