1 (edited by Atardecer 2021-06-22 07:32:09)

Topic: Strange Behaviour when changing buffer size

I have a new HDSPe AIO Pro. I've noticed some unusual issues when chaning buffer sizes. This is independent of DAW - I use both Cubase & Ableton and it happens in either.

I regularly bump up the buffer size when getting into the last bits of mixing. So I might put it up to 1024. When I try to put it down though, the card basically stops outputting audio altogether. The system and DAW is still recognising and reporting it's using the card, but it does not output audio. If I put it back up to 1024 or higher it's fine. I've found that when this happens the lowest I can go is 512 for whatever reason. If I set to, say 64 samples, it sort of does this intermittent clicking sound. 128 or 256, no sound at all. Above that, sounds absolutely fine.

I should say here this is with a session playing back one audio track - it's not because of CPU overloads or maxing out the system or anything like that. The only way to "reset" this is to reboot. If I set it 128 samples and reboot, it will be fine at that buffer size that was previously problematic for that boot session. As long as I don't increase it again. Basically, whenever I increase the buffer size I cannot decrease it again until rebooting. This is obviously frustrating.

Driver 4.36

Thanks

Windows 10 Pro
i7-6900K 3.20GHz
64gb RAM, All SSDs
RME HDSPe AIO Pro

Re: Strange Behaviour when changing buffer size

When this happens, do you see audio in the Software Playback section in Totalmix? If not, it seems to be the software no longer playing back correctly, not the card... Is this also reproducible with Reaper?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Looks like your PCI Express bus is not working as it should. Does that motherboard have another free slot that you could try?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

4 (edited by Atardecer 2021-06-23 08:53:55)

RME Support wrote:

When this happens, do you see audio in the Software Playback section in Totalmix? If not, it seems to be the software no longer playing back correctly, not the card... Is this also reproducible with Reaper?

Bit hard to explain. If I go for say, 64 samples, audio is very badly garbled, and there is a constant clicking from the left channel. If I go for 128 samples, its just very garbled or sometimes nothing at all. It sounds similar to when your system is too taxed with too low a buffer setting, but ASIO performance is not reporting anywhere near being stressed. If there is siund, it is in also in totalmix. If no sound, nothing in totalmix. Yes, pretty much any DAW. If I immediately bump it back up to 1024 its fine without a reboot needed. But yeah If I leave it at 128 samples and reboot, at that buffer size, its absolutely fine.

For lack of a better explanation, it seems to start becoming garbled when buffer size is set below the original buffer size I had when booting up the computer.

As for PC slots, I think it's currently on the lower most slot (closest to PSU). I'll start with driver/firmware update, then move slots and see how it goes.

Windows 10 Pro
i7-6900K 3.20GHz
64gb RAM, All SSDs
RME HDSPe AIO Pro

5 (edited by scare 2021-06-24 09:42:52)

I´m having exact the same problem since windows 1909 , but with my multiface 1.
After a couple of hours working i cant go lower than 256 samples (the buffersize i usually work on)  before these strange dropouts are happening. Everything sounds robotic and clicky like total cpu overload.
I also have the exact same click from the left channel as described.

When i just sign out / sign in  into windows its back normal.

Adi2pro - Digiface Usb - Arc - Multiface 1

I have an RME AIO Pro and have the same problem. I thought it was my video drivers but it isn't. It happens in Ableton when I work at a higher buffer setting and then try and drop it to say 512 or 128 or 64. It is not overload on the processor as I have tested with only a sample, or something very basic as a test and it starts playing back like a bit crusher, all robotic and interrupted. As mentioned here by @Atardecer if I reboot then the problem goes away, but it is inherently linked to dropping down from a large buffer size when I have been working on a project for a while at much higher latency setting. Please help RME!

Current firmware version is 22 You use which one?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I get the same behaviours as users above mentioned, when reducing buffer sizes.
A reboot is necessary to fix this, then everything works fine at buffer size 32 even with a fairly heavy load.

Is RME aware of and looking into this, or is it regarded as normal behaviour?

Here are my system (basic) specs:

Windows 11 Pro

HDSPe AIO

Core 11th Gen i9-11900KF OCd 5.3GHZ

ROG STRIX Z590-A GAMING WIFI mobo

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz CL18 DDR4

Corsair RM1000x 1000W Power Supply Fully Modular 80 Plus Gold

Noctua NH-D15' cooler

6 Internal SSDs

While I'm here I wish the very helpful RME staff and members here a Peaceful and Happy Christmas, and, a productive, healthy 2022!

Mauri.

Some of my 'stuff'. https://www.youtube.com/user/puutappi

9 (edited by Atardecer 2022-03-08 06:29:56)

OK So I'm updating this because the problem has been tracked down.

Got a call from my system builder, Vin Curigliano, who suggested uninstalling Sonarworks Reference Systemwide. And voila, problem solved.

Seems Reference Systemwide is completely messing with RME driver and causing these issues when changing sample rates. Of all the things, I was looking at, this didn't come to mind. The Sonarworks plugin is fine. But the Systemwide app just destroys the drivers. Uninstalled, and all is well.

Well there you go.

Windows 10 Pro
i7-6900K 3.20GHz
64gb RAM, All SSDs
RME HDSPe AIO Pro

10 (edited by TAFKAT 2022-03-09 21:38:08)

Yep,

I had navigated a similar issue a while back on a UCX, and tracked it down to the Sonarworks System Wide.

At that time I spoke directly to MC , the reasoning being that Sonarworks takes control of the WDM driver, and with the RME driver being Multiclient across both ASIO/WDM, it locks the capability of it changing Buffer/SR on the fly, as is the norm with RME/ASIO.

I didn't immediately click this was the same problem on Atardecer's system , but a 4AM epiphany light bulb moment sorted us out , LOL !

It will be interesting to see if the other responders on this thread are also using Sonarworks.

Peace.

Vin Curgiliano
AAVIM Technology
DAWbench.com

I have to second the previous finding. Using an old RME AIO card and Sonarworks Systemwide was responsible for crackling below buffer 512 and even BSOD at 128. Deactivated Sonarworks Reference 4 Systemwide and everything runs smoothly now down to buffer 64.

Same here with SoundID Reference! A reboot is necessary to change buffer size without having the constant robotic sound, noise, constant clicking and so on. In the problematic area, going back to the original setted buffer solve issues.