Topic: AES Card Sync/Lock Toggle

I can get into more detail if needed but I've had an RME AES card for a few years now and overall it works great.

Maybe I never noticed it before but one of my 5 AES ins/outs keeps toggling between Sync/Locked every few seconds. It's for AES 5  which feeds some digital metering I have so I have no way of listening to it.

AES 1-4 feeds things I can listen to and everything sounds fine.

Is there a way to explain why AES 5 toggles between Sync/Lock and if it's something I should be concerned about. I don't recall this happening before but maybe I never noticed it.

Here is a link to a screen shot of the HDSPe Settings:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yizxeegpoanff … M.png?dl=0

Re: AES Card Sync/Lock Toggle

The sync status report is for the AES5 input. Does your digital meter also connect to the input, or is that some other device?

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

This for the quick reply.

AES Input 5 is being fed from the Digital Meter Output of my Crane Song Avocet IIA via AES.

I just power cycled the Avocet which didn't help but I changed a few settings in my metering standalone app and now AES 5 seems to be solid Sync.

Do you know what it means if it's toggling between Sync and Lock every 3 seconds or so?

It means the clock is not in sync. There are 3 possible states:

No Lock = no valid input signal found
Lock = input signal is valid but clock is not in sync
Sync = valid input with synched clock

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

6 (edited by Jperkins 2021-06-29 18:38:04)

Jeff wrote:

It means the clock is not in sync. There are 3 possible states:

No Lock = no valid input signal found
Lock = input signal is valid but clock is not in sync
Sync = valid input with synched clock

Good to know. I'll keep any eye on it. Luckily it's just for metering so I don't think it's a deal-breaker since all other AES inputs, the ones that carry audio to my converters for listening and processing always remain with solid Sync.