Topic: MacOS/ Apple music streaming questions

Hello RME engineers, Hello fellow members,

I ordered the ADI-2 DAC and its on the way, not yet arrived, but I read the pdf manual already.

I have few questions and wish someone can shed some light on me.

I am using Mac Mini intel running Big Sur, you know MacOS  Audio Midi can set up sample rate from 44.1 up to 768kHz.

So the first question is, if I play back (stream) an album (Apple Music) with songs some are 96kHz, some 192kHz, what setting should I set at the Audio Midi? is the highest one can downwards support lower sample rate songs without causing any distortion or error? and for example if I set at 384kHz and play a 192kHz song, what rate will display at the ADI-2 DAC?

Second question is, if I connect the RCA jack to an Amp, is the XLR will automatically off? and vice versa?

Third question, I do not quite understand about the recording function, or could be I misunderstood it at all..... is the USB can output signal for recording while the S/PDIF  connected to a source?

Thanks in advance and waiting for answers for me (a novice of RME technology) .....

Pacifist, dumb, not stupid
Listen music out from a box which sounds
Reading words on paper/ screen

Re: MacOS/ Apple music streaming questions

> I am using Mac Mini intel running Big Sur, you know MacOS  Audio Midi can set up sample rate from 44.1 up to 768kHz.

that's called "Audio Midi Setup"

> So the first question is, if I play back (stream) an album (Apple Music) with songs some are 96kHz, some 192kHz, what setting should I set at the Audio Midi?

You can set it at 192. Apple's CoreAudio will do high quality sample rate conversion for you.  since this is just oversample for 96k it won't have audible artifacts.

Alternatively you can opt for a media player that can set sample rate automatically based on the contents you are playing.

> is the highest one can downwards support lower sample rate songs without causing any distortion or error?

That's correct if 1) you don't care about filters 2) it's an integer multiple oversample (2x, 4x, etc)

>  and for example if I set at 384kHz and play a 192kHz song, what rate will display at the ADI-2 DAC?

384khz

Bottom line is, opt for a player that support auto sample rate switching will solve the problem for you.

> Second question is, if I connect the RCA jack to an Amp, is the XLR will automatically off? and vice versa?

No. They are simultaneously on.

> Third question, I do not quite understand about the recording function, or could be I misunderstood it at all..... is the USB can output signal for recording while the S/PDIF  connected to a source?

Yes.

3 (edited by Johannes AU 2021-06-30 08:02:22)

Re: MacOS/ Apple music streaming questions

Thank you ning for the fast response :-)  Yes, Audio Midi Setup, please forgive me ....

2nd and 3rd answer is nailed, simple and solid and glad to know it.

The first answer is also clear, however in my old cheap ifi Zen Dac, it sounds different at oversampling, it is a but sharpened, like some people said, a bit more transparent and less bass, I will not say it is artifacts, but it is different, whether it is because of the Zen Dac (even without Zen Dac and pass to a normal speaker /headphones) or MacOS CoreAudio problem I do not know, all (we) have to blame is Apple .....  :-P

Anyway, thanks a lot for the assistance, when the DAC arrived, I will try it and if I have anymore questions I will come back and ask ......  :-)

Pacifist, dumb, not stupid
Listen music out from a box which sounds
Reading words on paper/ screen