1 (edited by m.holmes 2021-07-12 20:44:33)

Topic: DAC temperature when idle

Hello forum,

quick question: is it normal for the DAC2 FS to get warm when turned on, but not playing anything?

(I have both the USB and coax cables plugged, so I'm asking because I'm afraid the coax connection may waste cpu cycles in the DAC, even when no signal is being transmitted)

Re: DAC temperature when idle

Yes, ADI-2 DAC’s idle power consumption is 7 W.
Should be nicely hand-warm, depending on how “airy” the device is placed.

KaiS wrote:

Yes, ADI-2 DAC’s idle power consumption is 7 W.
Should be nicely hand-warm, depending on how “airy” the device is placed.

thanks for the answer.

I see in the state overview screen that "SP c" is permanently in "lock", even when I'm using USB, so I was worried that this was consuming cpu cycles.

4 (edited by ning 2021-07-13 12:51:07)

m.holmes wrote:

I see in the state overview screen that "SP c" is permanently in "lock", even when I'm using USB, so I was worried that this was consuming cpu cycles.

The digital part (FPGA and DSP chip) does not consume a lot of power. The flyback dc converters, the linear regulators, and the op amps (including the headphone output op amps) are always on, and are consuming a lot of power.  The display consumes plenty as well.
There's really little you can do to save more power. disconnecting the USB won't save power at all, and can be easily verified by a power meter adapter.

I measured it, it is about 7℃ rise during use, same as body temperture.

Pacifist, dumb, not stupid
Listen music out from a box which sounds
Reading words on paper/ screen

Mine just doesn't get very warm at all even after hours on end of use, I don't use B&T/EQ/Loudness though so maybe that has something to do with it.

7 (edited by ramses 2021-07-28 17:05:46)

Sorry, but without concrete information about specific temperature values and ambient temperatures, the discussion is pretty irrelevant, because for one thing, everyone has a different perception of heat and the whole thing naturally depends on factors such as room temperature and installation location.

By the way, it is normal that the DAC gets warm and if the case also has a good heat dissipation, then that is even good, it would only be bad if the heat accumulates in the case.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

8 (edited by Johannes AU 2021-07-28 17:32:07)

ramses wrote:

Sorry, but without concrete information about specific temperature values and ambient temperatures, the discussion is pretty irrelevant, because for one thing, everyone has a different perception of heat and the whole thing naturally depends on factors such as room temperature and installation location.

By the way, it is normal that the DAC gets warm and if the case also has a good heat dissipation, then that is even good, it would only be bad if the heat accumulates in the case.

My measurement of seven degrees C rise is above ambient temperature :-)

When I measure it, the DAC is 37C when working after few hours, same as body temperature, but when I touch it with my palm, it feels warm. Yes, everyone has a different perception of heat, so feels hot or warm doesn't means as it is, measure the right figure ( I use Fluke 80T-IR, measure at different distance ), it is far below the permissible working temperature of the electronics, nothing to worry.

My Yamaha WXA-50 is hot when I touch it, it is around 42-44C, internal fan never works, even I set to on to test it, it spins few seconds and stops (normally I set to Auto).

But every environment has a different base temperature ... and I am pretty sure that the +7°C is not even a constant value.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

But every environment has a different base temperature ... and I am pretty sure that the +7°C is not even a constant value.

I agree.

It varies 1 degree only during my several measurements made within few hours.

11 (edited by ramses 2021-07-28 17:50:38)

I ask myself, what is actually the goal of all these findings ? What do you want to know or demonstrate ?

12 (edited by Johannes AU 2021-07-28 17:57:48)

ramses wrote:

I ask myself, what is actually the goal of all these findings ? What do you want to know or demonstrate ?

I did the measurements only to see if I can stack up the DAC with some other things, for e.g. a computer CD drive, if the DAC is "too" warm, it will damage the CD drive in long term, or could be made the rubber feet of the CD Drive sticky ..... thats all .....

ramses wrote:

Another reason is, one of my friend want the RME DAC for his boat, space is limited at the audio equipment cabinet/rack, so I measure it and offer him some information, I did test the DAC with 12V car battery too.