Topic: Babyface Pro FS switch from unhappy Arturia Audiofuse User?

HelloHello,
i am new to this forum....

since i´m very unhappy with the arturia audiofuse (terrible build quality, extremly hot, broken knobs etc..)
i consider updating to a Babyface Pro FS ..but i have many questions.  hope somebody can help me out with answers:

1) as i am "in the box" musician i only need half of the potential the audiofuse uses, but i need
    a prestine audio output.    Will the babyface pro FS give me the same clarity and detail on my (Neumann KH120) speaker?

2) biggest problem that keeps me from switching is, that i need a second pair of speakers connected, but the Babyface only
    has 2 XLR outputs.  Since my second speakers are only a pair of "grotspeakers"  (active Avantones) my Idea ist, to connect
    the second speakerpair through one of the headphone outputs.   will that work? 
    Also, will the main speaker-output automatically muted, if i plug-in something into the headphone jack, or can i switch the
    outputs and customize them with a button?

3) *if* its possible to enable/disable and switch speakeroutput/headphone independently can i pre-match volume-outputlevels, so   
     that i have a A/B effect, switching headphone-output to speakeroutput?

4) in a tutorial i saw i can customize buttons on the interface (for example, set MONO function on the DIM button etc..)  will these   
    changes be saved on the interface itself, or do i have to run always TotalMix Software in the background as an seperate open
    Window

5) is it possible to run the Babyface Pro FS with a Macbook Air M1, plugged into a USB3-Hub with a single USB-Cable?  The
    Audiofuse will even fail with 2 usb-cords (1 cord + a second supportive usb-cable)  i am not able to run it, without external power
    supply and it gets hot as hell...

Many thanks in advance for you help...

2 (edited by waedi 2021-07-20 12:23:53)

Re: Babyface Pro FS switch from unhappy Arturia Audiofuse User?

1 No. The sound will be better. The Babyface Pro is a pro gear and comes with top level converters.
2. Yes. The headphone output can do this. No need to customize a button, speaker A / speaker B toggling is already prepared.
   And no, the main output will not mute when you plug-in something into the headphone socket, it's not a bedside radio.
3. Yes. Adjust your volumes and make A/B comparison, no problem.
4. No. It is saved in the computer. During the use of the interface Totalmix application must be running, can be running in the background with closed window.
5. Yes. A simple USB-A to USB-C cable will work. The use of a hub should be avoided. Better connect the interface directly in a free USB port of the computer and also it is recommended to use a external power supply to support the power consumption.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

3 (edited by zwap 2021-07-20 13:04:24)

waedi wrote:

4. No. It is saved in the computer. During the use of the interface Totalmix application must be running, can be running in the background with closed window.

thanks für the answer... sounds good.

but does that mean, if i close in the MacOS Dock the TotalMix App - the interface stops working (loses presets)?
or is it possible to have app invisible and active in the upper Menubar. i guess it will have an autostart routine, when i boot my computer?

waedi wrote:

1 No. The sound will be better. The Babyface Pro is a pro gear and comes with top level converters.

i just found this test..

the Audiofuse measures the better dynamic output range!

Strange, because both devices have the same aKM Chipset?   i think i will try the babyface pro for comparision
i´m sure the BF has handsdown build-quality + lower latency

The circuit around, PCB and the programming / control of the chip has also impact on the resulting SNR / dynamic range.
You can not only compare technical data of one single component like the DAC chip alone.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

The circuit around, PCB and the programming / control of the chip has also impact on the resulting SNR / dynamic range.
You can not only compare technical data of one single component like the DAC chip alone.

i know.. thats why they took measurements (see the graphs)
https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/produc … interfaces

This test was flawed. The BF Pro output SNR is 115 dB (rms unweighted), not 109 dB (see also Focusrite notifying them of 10 dB SNR lost on their 6i6). Maybe there was a problem with their bus powering USB while measuring.

Also you need to put this into context. The BF Pro FS has a switch to shift this SNR to +4 dBu reference level - if you need lower output levels it then easily outperfoms all others listed.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I bought the Babyface pro fs after looking at all others had to offer. The unit itself is solid and everything feels sturdy although I use use it in a fixed position with all cables in place so I can’t comment on plugging and unplugging. What I do know is support is 2nd to none. Drivers are updated as is firmware regularly to fix minor problems. There’s no waiting a year for these fixes. Older interfaces are still supported years later. I’ve never seen this from other companies where they abandon them after a few years. Just my thoughts as the sound quality is great and it works as expected.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

MC wrote:

This test was flawed. The BF Pro output SNR is 115 dB (rms unweighted), not 109 dB (see also Focusrite notifying them of 10 dB SNR lost on their 6i6). Maybe there was a problem with the bus powering USB while measuring.

Also you need to put this into context. The BF Pro has a switch to shift this SNR to +4 dBu reference level - if you need lower output levels it then easily outperfoms all others listed.

Hallo Matthias,
thanks for explaining.  i think i will give the BF Pro FS a try.

Another Question. i studied the manual and it says it also runs on Apple Mac via "Class Compliant" generic driver.
Since i only work in the box and listen to music, i would hate to have those 2 Apps always visible in the Dock and
i wouldnt use TotalMix at all.

- beside the worser latency are there other misadvantages if i only use the BF via Class Compliant mode? 
  Has the pure Output-Quality on my Stereo Monitors  the same prestine quality?

- Will Class Compliant mode also work without external Power-Supply on a normal Mac USB-Port?

- i know for programmable Buttons i need the TotalMix software, but i guess the Basic functions / knobs will also work
  in Class Compliant mode, like Volume matching and Switch from Speaker to HF, DIM etc..?

many thanks in advance for help.

- No EQ, no routing. Quality is same.

- Yes.

- Yes. Details are in the manul (no PAN, for example).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME