1 (edited by j123 2021-08-14 18:22:05)

Topic: Crackling audio when recording using Davinci Resolve 17

Hi, hope you can help me.

When I record audio using Davinci Resolve 17 (eg for voice overs or ADR), and I have my microphone connected via my Babyface Pro, I get crackling noises in the recorded audio.  I seems to be closely related to when I begin speaking, ie after a silent pause, although it occurs randomly and often.

Note that Davinci Resolve does not have ASIO support and therefore it is using the WDM drivers.

Note also that I have tested recording using many other Windows programs with the Babyface Pro with the same settings, and it works perfectly - no crackling audio recorded.  This includes Adobe Audition, Presonus Studio One 5, and other recording applications, even SNAGIT records perfectly all using the WDM drivers.

So this seems to be a BlackMagic Davinci Resolve issue, and I was wondering if you had any ideas how to get it working with the WDM drivers and using the Babyface Pro? 

I have searched the BlackMagic forums and it seems that others have the same problem with the Focusrite USB audio interface and Davinci.  Everyone else using WDM drivers and USB interfaces have no problem.  There is only one other Babyface user is on Davinci forums and he is having the same problem as I am with crackling.

I have contacted BlackMagic support, but they are not very helpful and say that others are not having this problem and it must be my Babyface Pro or drivers.  They also have no intention at this point to provide ASIO support.  This has been requested for years.

HELP. ANY SUGGESTIONS?
-----------------
Here is what I have tried so far:
    Tried all ASIO buffersizes
    Reinstalled the RME drivers and updated to the latest drivers and firmware
    Disabled audio enhancements in Windows sound settings
    Unchecked exclusive mode in Windows sound settings
    Verified that the sample rate and bit depth match between Fireface USB and Windows sound settings
    Windows power plan set to high performance
    Tried all available USB 2.0, USB 3.0, and USB 3.1 ports

I have tried recording using my USB microphone and it works perfectly with Davinci Resolve, ie no crackling and a clean recording.

My PC Specs are:
Intel i7-6700
Nvidia RTX 3080
48 GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro - Version 10.0.19042

Re: Crackling audio when recording using Davinci Resolve 17

I have been doing more testing over the last two weeks.  I still have not found a solution, however I did get it working (ie with the crackling and pop noises) with one type of USB interface.  Hopefully this will help you to think of what is going on here.  I can do further testing if you suggest what to do.  This will help everyone.

Since my first message below I have tried the following different audio interfaces, and all resulted in the same crackling noises.

The crackling noise I get with each of the following USB interfaces:
1- RME Babyface Pro USB interface, using the RME Fireface USB driver
2- RME Fireface UCX USB interface, using the RME Fireface USB driver
3- Steinberg UR44 USB interface, using the Steinberg audio driver
4- USB Microphone (Audio Technica ATMG1 microphone)

Yet recording to any other Windows app works perfectly.

BUT this evening I borrowed and tried the Rode RODECaster Pro as the audio interface, with all effects and processing turned off, AND it works perfectly.  The recording is clean and without any crackling or pops.

Remember that Davinci Resolve (DR) does not use ASIO drivers, only Windows drivers. So to get audio from the USB interface to DR one must select that audio device from the Windows 10 "Sound Input" dialog window.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get my RME Babyface Pro to work with DR without these crackling noises which come up every few seconds but are associated with speech (ie if I am not speaking into the microphone, then there is no crackling).

ANY ideas at all?

Thanks in anticipation.

The audio processing block size is set to auto by default, may you try with manual setting 1024 ?

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:

The audio processing block size is set to auto by default, may you try with manual setting 1024 ?

Thanks for your quick reply!
If you mean the "audio processing block size" option from within Davinci Resolve settings, then my system does not give me any other option other than "auto". I am using Davimci Resolve v17. 2.  I have contacted Blackmagic support about this option being only "auto" and they replied that this is something that they are aware of and will address.

Is there somewhere else to set this option?

Also do you have any idea why nothing will work except the Rodecaster Pro even though everything is still using the Windows audio drivers?

You can try with increase of the buffer size in the Usb Fireface settings.

This block size settings in Davinci Resolve is probably only available on mac version.

I'm not enough good in windows, I would uninstall all audio drivers and reinstall only the one for the Babyface and select the Babyface ASIO everywhere.

6 (edited by sarasotafoh 2021-08-17 14:34:32)

j123 wrote:

Hi, hope you can help me.

When I record audio using Davinci Resolve 17 (eg for voice overs or ADR), and I have my microphone connected via my Babyface Pro, I get crackling noises in the recorded audio.  I seems to be closely related to when I begin speaking, ie after a silent pause, although it occurs randomly and often.

I had the same issue as well... My fix was to open RME control panel and set the sample rate to 48khz... Resolve's default playback sample rate is 48khz and for some reason Resolve does a piss poor job resampling to other rates (hence the clicks & pops)... That said, also make sure your buffer size is set correctly too...

*** SOLUTION ***

Davinci Resolve version 17.3 was released today with ASIO audio driver support!

IT WORKS and solves all of my audio crackling and pop issues!  It’s wonderful that ASIO audio drivers have now been included in Davinci Resolve.

For others wanting to get the ASIO driver options available, here are some instructions:

(1) In Preferences > System > Video and Audio I/O, set I/O Engine to ASIO, and then save and restart Davinci Resolve.

(2) After Davinci Resolve restarts, go to the Preferences tab again and select your Device under Audio I/O. You can also click on button <Device Config> to configure your ASIO driver.

(3) Uncheck "Automatic speaker configuration"... to manually configure you speakers in the “Monitor Speaker Configuration” area just below.

Now you should be able to make all the settings you need by patching a selected audio channel in Fairlight to the appropriate ASIO audio driver channel.

j123 wrote:

*** SOLUTION ***

Davinci Resolve version 17.3 was released today with ASIO audio driver support!

IT WORKS and solves all of my audio crackling and pop issues!  It’s wonderful that ASIO audio drivers have now been included in Davinci Resolve.

For others wanting to get the ASIO driver options available, here are some instructions:

(1) In Preferences > System > Video and Audio I/O, set I/O Engine to ASIO, and then save and restart Davinci Resolve.

(2) After Davinci Resolve restarts, go to the Preferences tab again and select your Device under Audio I/O. You can also click on button <Device Config> to configure your ASIO driver.

(3) Uncheck "Automatic speaker configuration"... to manually configure you speakers in the “Monitor Speaker Configuration” area just below.

Now you should be able to make all the settings you need by patching a selected audio channel in Fairlight to the appropriate ASIO audio driver channel.

Yea, Resolve 17.3 now offers ASIO support (thank the tech gods, been waiting forever for this).... It works pretty well, however -- some have reported a few stability issues... That said, at least they've made the right decision to support ASIO and not lock people into their hardware for direct multi-channel outputs (Whoo-Hoo). big_smile

PS: They released a new update (17.3.1).

I hope someone is able to help me: I am running Davinci Resolve 17.3.1 (under Windows 10) and I was very happy to see that there is now ASIO support!
So I finally can access my Fireface 800 under Davinci Resolve. I can map any (Fireface)Input to any Audio Track now, BUT I get no input signal through to Davinci Resolve... and yes, I armed the track for recording and Totalmix shows me that there is a signal coming in...
Is there anything I missed?

I had the same think happened with Davinci. Is there a better app?

11 (edited by soundsubs 2024-03-03 14:32:13)

I ran into a similar crackling issue with Davinci Resolve when trying to record audio. It was super frustrating because, like you, everything else worked fine except for this. After a lot of trial and error, I ended up switching to Movavi for my video and audio editing needs. What made the difference for me was how Movavi handles audio without any glitches and the fact that it supports a wide range of formats. It's also got these cool features where you can merge clips, crop parts out, and even get a preview of how your video will look before finalizing it. I found this alternative there. It's really fast, thanks to its SuperSpeed technology, and you can even try it out for free.

12 (edited by waedi 2024-02-28 23:58:46)

Jaroslav_Stika wrote:

I had the same think happened with Davinci. Is there a better app?

Every DAW is better for audio recording than DaVinci.

I recommend Reaper, it can do video editing and all things with audio perfectly.
I use DaVinci Resolve 18 and try to record audio from Loopback, it doesn't work, no audio input at all.
It's great for video but unusable for audio recording.