1 (edited by spiritlevel 2021-07-30 21:26:57)

Topic: Digiface: Can I connect an ADA8200 on different in/out ports?

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of replacing my current Audient ID22 with a Digiface/Arc combo. Before I do, I'd like to check if the setup I am planning will work.

The TL:DR version of this question is - Can I connect an ADA8200 on different ADAT in/out ports?

The reasoning is...

I use hardware Eurorack and VCV and I’m thinking the loopback feature on the digiface would be useful for sending audio between my DAW and VCV with low latency (and much better than using my current interface in an aggregated device with loopback software).

I currently have 2 x Expert Sleepers ES-3s, an ES-6/7 and a Behringer ADA8200 for connecting Mics/Synths

I’m thinking of a Digiface setup something something like:

ADAT OUTS

1: ES-3 (8 x Audio/CV out)

2: ES-3 (8 x Audio/CV out)

3: (none - use for 8 x loopback)

4: ADA8200 (2 monitor out + 6 loopback)

ADAT INS:

1: ES-6/7 (8x Audio/CV in)

2: ADA8200 (8 x line In)

4: 2 monitor loopbacks for Digicheck and 6 other loopbacks)

As you see I have planned the ADAT in/Outs for the ADA8200 on different ADAT ports - out on Port 4, In on Port 2 - reason for this is the way loopback works... As I understand it, you can’t choose where the loopback returns to - it always returns to the corresponding input. So if I used the first 6 channels of ADAT out 4 for loopback (and the last 2 for main mix monitoring, also with loopback for Digicheck) then those loopbacks will return to the inputs of ADAT In 4 - which means they would replace the line inputs of the ADA8200 if I had its output coming back to ADAT in 4 - which I don’t want as I need those inputs for synths!. So instead could I send the ADA8200 back to Input 2. This way I get to keep all the 8 line ins from the 8200 (coming back on port 2) while also getting the 6 + 2 channels of loopback on In/Out port 4.  Can you see any problem with that working?

One other concern I have while I'm at it is a possible drop in monitoring quality when feeding my monitors from the ADA8200 compared to monitoring from my Audient - any thoughts/experience on that?

thanks!

2 (edited by waedi 2021-07-30 21:44:46)

Re: Digiface: Can I connect an ADA8200 on different in/out ports?

> Can I connect an ADA8200 on different ADAT in/out ports?

YES, you can connect wherever you want.  You have to keep the control of your signal routings, the Digiface doesn't care about.

The Loopback does not replace or disable your analog inputs, they are still available and you can route them to somewhere in Totalmix.

The Loopback is not free for routing it is fix on the same input number, the signal is available on that input in the DAW, but not in Totalmix.
There is more possible to do as you are aware of at the moment.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

3 (edited by spiritlevel 2021-07-30 22:24:45)

waedi wrote:

> Can I connect an ADA8200 on different ADAT in/out ports?
The Loopback does not replace or disable your analog inputs, they are still available and you can route them to somewhere in Totalmix.

Thanks - that's interesting... so I could put the ADA8200 on in/out 4 and route its line inputs back to inputs 9-16 (port 2 effectively) like this then?:

ADAT OUTS
1: ES-3 (8 x Audio/CV out)
2: ES-3 (8 x Audio/CV out)
4: ADA8200 (2 monitor out + 6 loopback)

ADAT INS:
1: ES-6/7 (8x Audio/CV in)
2: (none - route the line inputs from ADA8200 back here)
4: ADA8200 (2 monitor loopbacks for Digicheck and 6 other loopbacks)

Any advantage to this configuration compared to my previous?

A bit too much Loopback all over the place !
Adat Inputs have no Loopback.
DAW inputs can receive Loopback.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

5 (edited by ramses 2021-07-30 22:43:54)

Infos about loopback: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … ion-EN-DE/
You use loopback only in cases, where you want to record something which is being played back on HW outputs, e.g. to record audio from Youtube.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

6 (edited by spiritlevel 2021-07-31 00:48:40)

ramses wrote:

Infos about loopback: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … ion-EN-DE/
You use loopback only in cases, where you want to record something which is being played back on HW outputs, e.g. to record audio from Youtube.

Yes - or in my case from another multi-channel audio application - VCV. I want a lot of loopback routing (14 channels) between my DAW and VCV. So from VCV I send to HW outputs and loop those back to record in my DAW.

waedi wrote:

A bit too much Loopback all over the place !
Adat Inputs have no Loopback.
DAW inputs can receive Loopback.

Yes - perhaps I expressed this wrong. When I say loopback on ADAt 3 input, what I mean is input channels 17-24 will receive the audio from outputs 17-24 which have been set to loopback. So when I send audio to outputs 17-24 from VCV, I will receive them back into my DAW on channels 17-24. I need a lot of Loopback smile