Topic: ADI-2 PRO FS BE, Display replacement

Dear all,

I hope it is appropriate to post this question here, I'm gonna leave out prices and try to be as neutral as possible.
The display of my unit is failing, gaining dead columns practically every day. However as I'm outside the warranty period, the standard repair charge is definitely outside the range I personally am willing to invest into this unit.
I got offered spare parts for the display and the acrylic front panel at an acceptable rate for self repair and am leaning going that way as I've got a semi-professional electronics repair setup at my disposal.

However I've found multiple mentions of changes on the replacement display, claiming a repair would be "really hard to impossible" but without any further details on that, so I can't judge who consider what as "really hard to impossible". ;-)
Has anyone recently replaced the display on an ADI-2 PRO FS BE and can share his experience on that?

Any input allowing for a better cost vs risk assessment is highly welcome.
Besides the self repair option I'm thinking about selling of the unit at a fair price.

Kind regards,

Jan

2 (edited by ning 2021-08-02 15:54:27)

Re: ADI-2 PRO FS BE, Display replacement

Replacement is not hard. No soldering required. As simple as loosening / tightening some screws and disconnecting/ reconnecting the display cable connector.   You just need to make sure you have the right part(display only. You don’t need front panel etc).

I’m afraid that is no longer true ning.
According to my official contact with local service, the display part changed mechanically and electrically and doesn’t fit the original front panel acrylic glas. The newest firmware supports the replacement, but still trying to get details on other surprises.

4 (edited by ning 2021-08-03 09:22:27)

> According to my official contact with local service, the display part changed mechanically and electrically and doesn’t fit the original front panel acrylic glas. The newest firmware supports the replacement, but still trying to get details on other surprises.

Your official contact was wrong.  I helped my friend to replace the original display (RK020JH100) with the new one (RK020HH131) for his Pro FS Black Edition (the no remote old version). Nothing needs to be changed apart from the display.  The connector is pin compatible. It's an in place replacement, unless you got the wrong part.

The old one and new one have different drivers so old code won't work.
Initially when the new display is connected the display cannot display correctly :

https://i.ibb.co/rkzR0hF/83833886-FA39-D11-C605-B165-FBD4-CF495.jpg

after upgrading the firmware everything works perfectly:

https://i.ibb.co/HrPngPv/72659174-A2-C59-FAB6-FDBB8-F7-B5439-C7-A.jpg

Very much appreciated ning! And very interesting indeed.
Just got a hint that my dealer offers 3 years of warranty not just 2, a fact I wasn't aware of and didn't find till I explicitly looked for it. ;-)
So this will go to the dealer and hopefully get fixed properly.