1 (edited by Johannes AU 2021-08-19 15:40:27)

Topic: MacOS 11.5.2/ DigiCheck problem

Today MacOS Big Sur updates to 11.5.2, I found a problem, when output with USB to RME DAC, loopback, then some echos and repeat of audio occurs ocasionally ..... don't know if it is cause by the Big Sur update or not....

When the problem happens, it will stop immediately when I quit DigiCheck.

Pacifist, dumb, not stupid
Listen music out from a box which sounds
Reading words on paper/ screen

Re: MacOS 11.5.2/ DigiCheck problem

Digicheck NG does not have playback or monitoring capability. But we will try to reproduce this.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by Johannes AU 2021-08-19 16:29:34)

MC wrote:

Digicheck NG does not have playback or monitoring capability. But we will try to reproduce this.

Thanks MC, more info:

The problem I encounter is at the RME DAC RCA output to Amp ..... It stops when I quit DigiCheck.

(Apple Music playback at MacOS, Audio Midi setup to DAC, DAC selected USB in <loopback on>, RCA output <same problem at IEM or Phones> to Amp.)

No problem if MacOS Audio Midi setup use Toslink and loopback to USB to run DigiCheck.

I tried reboot the Mac, set loopback off.

The problem still exist with DigiCheck app running, though no signal flows in, when I quit DigiCheck, it sounds normal again.

Guess it is a problem due to Big Sur Update .....

You should check what other tools or plugins you installed that fiddle with CoreAudio. We were not able to reproduce this effect so far, nor does it make any sense to us. As said DC Mac does not pass audio from input to output, and even if then it would not delay it. Very strange!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

6 (edited by Johannes AU 2021-08-20 06:33:26)

MC wrote:

You should check what other tools or plugins you installed that fiddle with CoreAudio. We were not able to reproduce this effect so far, nor does it make any sense to us. As said DC Mac does not pass audio from input to output, and even if then it would not delay it. Very strange!

Thanks MC :-)

Yes, strange indeed.

No plugins or tools installed, the DAC operates at the same condition since day one it arrived and switched on.

I check all cables, changed it, doesn't help.

Reboot few times the Mac, doesn't help.

Then I run Onyx maintenence, seems it helps, looks like kind of computer cache problem, now it is running OK, at least at the moment I write this.

One thing I discovered, may be not related, I have toslink and USB both connected to Mac since day one, nothing wrong, I switch at Audio Midi setup to select the output I want, no problem before, yesterday, after the MacOS update, when I switch from toslink to USB, the problem starts (DigiCheck stays on no matter which Mac output selected)

If I switch it few times to make sure the toslink input display dashes at the DAC, no strange effect happens, it didn't happens before the MacOS update, I can just leave it shows toslink sync/lock/sync/lock every second without any problem, but now it can't, I have to make it not detected by the DAC by switching it at Audio Midi setup few times.

As long as it works now, I am peaceful ....

P.S. Now I put the input of DAC to selecting it manually instead of Auto.