Topic: Audio monitoring problem (cubase)

Hi folks,

I’ve got a problem which is probably simple but I can’t fix it so i’m after help please. I don't know if this is an issue with my HDSP 9632 or or a Cubase configuration  issue.

I’m recording a guitar in Cubase via a DI. This is a clean sound and i’m using a plug-in to get the amped tone.

On playback, I can hear the effect of the plug-in on the signal but the monitored sound is only giving me the clean DI sound. Try what I may, I can’t hear the plug-in sound live.

Any ideas please? I’ve tried various plug-ins (Pod., Waves and Bias FX2) and all have the same problem so i’m thinking it must be cubase or my sound card.

I’m on Cubase 11, have an RME 9632 card and using the plug-ins above. I’ve only just started using cubase again after a 6 year or so break (thank kids for that). Whereas I used to do exactly this, something has changed somewhere, but I can’t find what.

Any help much appreciated please!

A

Re: Audio monitoring problem (cubase)

When you hear the clean guitar sound, do you hear it thru Totalmix monitoring or thru Cubase ?
In the Cubase channel you have to activate direct monitoring, a button somewhere around the fader where the mute and solo buttons are.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

I'm not sure how to tell if it's through Totalmix or Cubase to be honest!

I have to have the monitor button active in Cubase to hear the signal though.

Very specifically, what I have is;

- monitor active in Cubase (which allows me to hear the clean signal only)
- on playback after recording that signal, I have to turn monitor off to hear the recorded part
- that recorded part has the plug-in output rather than just the clean signal

Hope that makes sense!

Found the fix - i'd had "direct monitoring" selected, so unchecking that has finally fixed it!