Topic: RPi4/Moode or RME ADI-2 DAC FS problem?

I can play DSD128 .dsf files just fine using RPi4/Moode streamer to the RME ADI-2 DAC.  When I try a DSD256 .dsf file I get the following error.  Is my problem in the Moode software or the DAC? 
Thank you for any advice

MPD error
Failed to open "ALSA Default" (alsa); Error opening ALSA device "_audioout"; snd_pcm_hw_params() failed: Invalid argument

Magnepan 1.7i,  Luxman 509x,  RME ADI-2 DAC,  RPI4 Streamer

2 (edited by ning 2021-08-24 19:11:08)

Re: RPi4/Moode or RME ADI-2 DAC FS problem?

MPD developer here. MPD + ADI-2 should be able to play up to DSD 256 file without any issue. 
That is very well tested, as that's my development environment here.
based on your error message, it may caused by the device cannot support that high bit rate.
Make sure your ADI-2 is not in multichannel mode --- that is limited to 192khz.
If it still doesn't work, very likely it's a Moode bug --- ask it in the Moode forum.

Thank you

Comment: no mulitichannel mode in ADI-2 DAC. Changed title to ADI-2 DAC FS (ADI-2 FS is a different product).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you for correcting the title.  The manual on page 46 states:

"Via Launchpad – Other – Audio MIDI Setup the ADI-2 DAC can be configured for the system wide usage. The Audio window includes a menu to select the sample rate. In Stereo mode up to 768 kHz are supported, in Multi- channel mode up to 192 kHz. The two modes can not be selected here, but have to be chosen at the unit while it is disconnected from the computer."

In the Audio MIDI Setup I changed the format from 96,000 Hz to 768,000 Hz 2ch 32-bit integer.  I turned the DAC off, then shut off power for 20 seconds.  After restart I still get the MPD error when I play DSD256.  The manual says "one of the two modes must be chosen at the unit while it is disconnected from the computer."  I have searched all menus at the unit and cannot find a Multichannel setting.  Where is this setting I must be blind.

6 (edited by ning 2021-08-26 15:50:24)

as MC said there's no mulitichannel mode for the DAC. Only Pro has that mode.

I think the manual is wrong --- info on page 46 should be revised.

> In the Audio MIDI Setup I changed the format from 96,000 Hz to 768,000 Hz 2ch 32-bit integer.  I turned the DAC off, then shut off power for 20 seconds.  After restart I still get the MPD error when I play DSD256.

So you're using a Mac (you mentioned Audio MIDI Setup)? If you install MPD on your Mac, and having the following setup:

audio_output {
type "osx"
device "ADI-2 DAC (XXXXX)" # XXXX is the serial number
dop "yes"
hog_device "true"
name "RME ADI-2 DAC FS"
mixer_type "none"
}

It should play DSD256 without issue.

MPD config for Linux is similar:

audio_output {
type "alsa"
device "hw:CARD=DACXXXX,DEV=0". # ASLA device name
dop "yes"
name "RME ADI-2 Pro FS"
mixer_type "none"
}

and DSD256 should be supported as well.

Again, I believe this is a Moode software issue --- seems that it uses MPD but not set up correctly. You need to report your bug to their developers.

Thank you

Let me ask one more question then I will get out of the middle of this.  Do you test and support the ADI-2 DAC on RaspiOS Linux and Raspberry Pi?

ning wrote:

as MC said there's no mulitichannel mode for the DAC. Only Pro has that mode.

I think the manual is wrong --- info on page 46 should be revised.

Wowza - nobody ever saw this in all the years. Fixed it - thank you.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

10 (edited by ning 2021-08-27 19:38:04)

daleberlin wrote:

Let me ask one more question then I will get out of the middle of this.  Do you test and support the ADI-2 DAC on RaspiOS Linux and Raspberry Pi?

I tested my ADI-2 Pro FS and Pro FS R on a Raspberry Pi 4 (the 1GB version) with the latest official Raspbian OS version.

Yeah, Raspberry Pi is of course one of my testing environment. See my earlier post:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 06#p162706

Other forum members reported that they can play dsd256 with RPi4 just fine as well:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 11#p144111

Thanks everyone!  With the help on Moode forum I got DSD256 working.  I’m being told when they query the ADI-2 DAC from RaspiOS Linux they see no support for Native DSD.  I assume DSD Direct = Native DSD?  Anyway, it’s working now and I wanted to thank you for your time.
Cheers
Dale

> I assume DSD Direct = Native DSD

No. One can transfer DSD as 32 bit packages via USB (which requires an additional Alternate Setting), or via DoP format (16 bit packages plus header, therefore needs double the sample rate). Most probably they did not expect either DoP or such a high sample rate of 7xx kHz for DSD256.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

DSD direct is a feature of AKM chip to bypass volume (and thus PCM conversion).
Native DSD is a usb altsetting that transport DSD without adding DoP header.

Yeah as I said earlier, this is clearly a Moode bug if they don't support DSD256,
as all the underlying components (Raspberry Pi 4,  Linux kernel, ALSA stack, MPD player, etc) support that and it's constantly well tested by me and other MPD developers.