1 (edited by ryannn 2021-08-26 18:49:07)

Topic: Seeking Guidance on 6 monitor setup... on ucx

Hi

I wonder if any kind souls could help me understand what might be the best way of setting up 6 monitors (+ 2 subwoofers) for the purposes of Ambisonic playback - using a babyface or a UCX ii if possible.

Re: Seeking Guidance on 6 monitor setup... on ucx

The Babyface would do it but you would have to buy Adat expansion box to get the required number of outputs. Even the UCX won’t give you enough matched outputs without adat expansion to run 8 speakers out of the box. You would have to look at Fireface 802 or Fireface II for that Then if you wish to go Atmos later on then you would need to look at either UCX + Adat expansion or Faireface with Adat expansion.

To control that many outputs volume evenly you will need to use fader groups in Totalmix FX.

I assume you’re going to use self powered speakers except for subs? If you wish to use passive speakers via a receiver, receivers with balanced inputs are higher in price and to be honest there are almost no low to mid priced receivers that offer a 7:1, 9:1 or 7.1.4 external analog inputs. NAD being one notable exception. Receivers with unbalanced analog inputs are usually rated to -10 rather than +4 so be careful with output levels.

That’s a start. Ask more questions if you like