Topic: Is the Fireface 400 calibrated to work best at -18dbFS

When the FF400 was made 20 years ago, was it "calibrated" to behave and sound and perform the best when being fed 0dbVU aka -18dbFS signal level?

2 (edited by ramses 2021-08-30 15:08:19)

Re: Is the Fireface 400 calibrated to work best at -18dbFS

I hope I didn't misunderstood your request in any way.

But may I ask for what of your application this information is relevant / needed ?

The analog world works with dBu & dBV specifications, while dBFS only describes the level ratios in the digital domain and
e.g. 0 dbFS is different from device to device.

I would orient more on the supported reference levels which is more specific / relevant in the analog domain.
And here the FF400 supports the usual consumer / studio reference levels:

AD, Line In 5-8, rear
• Input sensitivity switchable to Lo Gain, +4 dBu, -10 dBV
• Input level for 0 dBFS @ Lo Gain: +19 dBu
• Input level for 0 dBFS @ +4 dBu: +13 dBu
• Input level for 0 dBFS @ -10 dBV: +2 dBV

DA, Line Out 1-6, rear
• Output level switchable Hi Gain, +4 dBu, -10 dBV
• Output level at 0 dBFS @ Hi Gain: +19 dBu
• Output level at 0 dBFS @ +4 dBu: +13 dBu
• Output level at 0 dBFS @ -10 dBV: +2 dBV

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

It is in terms of when I'm watching my levels going in to the unit.  I use the SPDIF Coaxial input with my Kemper (with kemper set to -10dB on the SPDIF output or its way too hot)  the analog 5 and 6 TRS rear inputs for my St.Rock React-IR cab DI and cab IR signals and then input 2 XLR on front for my DBX DI. I do only guitars.

I'm just wondering if the sweet spot of what this unit wants is the -18dbFS aka the 0dbVU.  Should I aim for that -18dbFS within the metering software (total mix fx shows as dbFS as does the Digicheck of courase as you know) as I watch my INPUT levels.

4 (edited by ramses 2021-08-30 15:55:54)

I wouldn't chase after some phantom of any "fix sweet spot" here, but simply take into account the requirements of the digital world. You need a certain headroom or, in other words, a headroom reserve, so that even peak levels do not exceed 0dB, even if some devices still offer certain headroom reserves above 0dB.
Then you don't drive all tracks hard to the 0dB, because the volume levels of the individual tracks add up in the DAW project and finally you also need some headroom for mastering.
Also the channels will probably sound better if they are not driven hard towards 0dB. I would just do it with feeling. Open your mind and ears, if it sounds good, then it can not be so wrong, I think it's the results that count ;-)
Maybe other people made other experiences / have other opinions on that topic.
I could also imagine, that this might be device dependend, because not every circuit behaves the same.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13